CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 PM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
Drinkware/color

I am curious how many (if any) of you make drinkware with exposed color on the inside? I have read past discussions about this topic and I am curious what prevails in the field. A hello and thanks to you all!
Old 05-07-2020, 01:40 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Using color that contain lead would be met with frowns. The beverage industry self regulates and doesn't want color within a 1/4 inch of the lip.

For some, who sell wares to chains experience friction from the chains insisting that the vendor guarantee the makeup of the wares. That's beyond then ken of most studios but is typical of the places that use lawyers in their purchasing.

At least that's the line I keep hearing.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:03 PM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
And most german colors contain enough lead to be a factor if I remember correctly?
Old 05-07-2020, 05:49 PM
The Old Gaffer

Most German color is a 24 % lead base with the exception of the bright red and yellow glasses which are lead free. Lead makes cadmium yellow turn an ugly brown. If there are other colors that are lead free, I'm not aware of them, beyond my own. Lead tends to make Linear expansion issues more forgiving when mismatch occurs.

It would not be all that hard to make some colors using cullet of your own. It's limiting certainly. Spruce Pine color base or regular will make a fair number of colors.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:01 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
There are a few "eco" colors outside of red and yellow that are supposed to be lead free. Pallet is limited.

I tell all of my students that it's a concern, but I've yet to see one that doesn't throw a heap of color on and give no ****s. None yet to be diagnosed with lead poisoning.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:07 AM
The Old Gaffer

No lead poisoning, nor will there be. The notion of lead leech can occur with decanters made with lead which are almost non existent now. If the liquor stayed in the decanter long enough, it could show contaminants. Not true of glasses that get poured and drunk quickly. I don't think it's a serious issue if you are making stuff for small sales.

What you will have trouble with are businesses that will require "Proof" to release liability. Best to not deal with them. That mindset is already antithetical to the notion of handmade things.