CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Japan visit suggestions?

Not sure this should be in general glass forum page here or the cords/seeds one, it's kind of glass-related though. I was invited to demonstrate for a week-long workshop at Kenji Ito's studio in Tokyo this December. Never been to Japan before, and think my wife and I will try to do at least a few extra days before the workshop being tourists. Wish we had more time, but grandma only gonna watch our kiddo for so long.. So, suggestions for what to make time for in/around Tokyo area? (Glass-related or not) Thanks!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:37 PM

Bradley Howes is on a distinguished road
Ramen. Anywhere.

Also Chiba is pretty cool. The famous intersection that always gets timelasped is there. I can't remember the name though. Hachiko is there right as you walk out of the subway for the yamanote line. I'll add on to this post once I get back to my room as I have a map with names of places that will remind me.

Update as promised: My mistake, I meant shibuya, not Chiba. Chiba is its own prefecture. Another place worth checking out is asakusa. There's one of the sanjyusan banjyo there. These are 33 temples spread all over Japan. They have blank books that you can buy and have filled in with each temple's own calligraphy and stamps. Even if you don't get the book, it's well worth going to see.

Of course there's much more than I've mentioned. Just hop on a train and see where it takes you! There's nowhere bad.

The one thing I recommend above all else is an Onsen. Don't go if you have a tattoo though.
I have to be the best at what I do. If I didn't succeed the first time then I didn't try hard enough. This is to say I expect myself to do the best I can. Don't get me wrong, mistakes are great for learning.

Last edited by Bradley Howes; 09-19-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:48 AM

Steve Stadelman is on a distinguished road
Ok, why no tattoos in onsen?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:34 AM

Travis Frink is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stadelman View Post
Ok, why no tattoos in onsen?
Traditional tattoos (irezumi) were a symbol of one's membership in the local mafia.Laws to restrict mafia activities often prevent businesses from having anything to to with mafia members. Plus the mafia and their symbols seem to scare the piss out of most of the locals who don't seem to be able to destinguish the difference the difference between the distinct design style of irezumi and other tattoos.

You can always find a place with a private bath. The establishment may turn you away if your tats show. You can also search out shadier establishments that seem to welcome those with body art. Just be polite and watch where you step.

Interestingly, tattoos do seem to be catching on with younger generations and those who've been out and seen the world.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 AM

Travis Frink is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
Not sure this should be in general glass forum page here or the cords/seeds one, it's kind of glass-related though. I was invited to demonstrate for a week-long workshop at Kenji Ito's studio in Tokyo this December. Never been to Japan before, and think my wife and I will try to do at least a few extra days before the workshop being tourists. Wish we had more time, but grandma only gonna watch our kiddo for so long.. So, suggestions for what to make time for in/around Tokyo area? (Glass-related or not) Thanks!
What you interested in?
Glasswise, you might could make it to Maruko tools and back in a day. He's near Mt Fuji. He may also be bringing tools to Kenji's shop if it's a bid event with open days. Kenji's staff should be able to tell you more on that or may be call ahead and tell Shin you are coming.

Also, I have never been there but there is a shop in downtown Tokyo that blows wind chime globes on GLASS blowpipes. The process would likely be more interesting that the product but you could also work that in with other things you're doing in Town. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can find out more about that.

Otherwise most of the major areas of Tokyo are a trip in and of themselves. If you're limited on time you might look through some travel books and choose places depending on your interests.

I'm in rural Shikoku. It's off the beaten tourist track but I'd be happy to show you around and prove there is still some nature left in the land Godzilla rules.

Let me know if there's something to help you arrange.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:19 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Thanks Travis for that info. I think we will be flying into Osaka and spending a few days in Kyoto and then taking train to Tokyo. Def appreciate your offer to show us around, but looks like you're a bit further away on the map? Kenji said that he will ask Maruko if he can come by the workshop with some tools so that would be cool if that happens. Thanks again.