CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 AM

David Gappa is on a distinguished road
Vertical Belt Sander

Hopefully someone can give me some advise on vertical belt sanders. I have never used one before. I just got off the phone with HIS Glassworks and they have the below model for about $2,700. Is this a good direction to go, or should I explore other models? I also saw some on CR Laurence, but they were quite a bit more expensive.

https://www.hisglassworks.com/shop/m...ter-basin.html
Old 09-21-2017, 12:14 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
We have two wet belts in the shop and they are used all the time. If I started over it would be the third tool I'd buy for the cold shop. Lap, lathe, wet belt.
I recommend Salem Abrasives for sic belts but found His cork belts to be better quality.

All that said it might be in your best interest to call around to all the local glazier shops and see if they have any machines to retire. Parts are readily available for all the old professional machines. IMO Sommer & Maca or Somaca as some say are at the top of the list in quality. A roller platen to start and then you can buy or build a flat platten if needed. You may also find them available on some of the industrial surplus sites. I have a hard to with the price of new but certainly the sweet taste of quality will far out the bitter taste of price.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:49 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Tom Philabaum may be selling his machine David. I'd be quite sure you could find a used one with a bit of patience well under 1K. I think I paid sixty dollars for mine in 1974 and it has yet to need anything more that basic maintenance.

There well may be some on Houston that went under water. They might need a new motor. Don't get a machine smaller than a 106 belt.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:44 PM

David Gappa is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I will search him out.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:10 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gappa View Post
Thanks. I will search him out.
There's almost nothing to wear out. Two bearings, and a motor. Mine was made in about 1946.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Part of the Problem

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I now have Kenny's old one. It looks like hell, and I'm still working on a better water feed system, but I know the thing's going to run forever. Just needs a little TLC.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:03 PM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
There is a question that needs to be asked before going any further. Does that scale of machine fit the needs of you and of the shop? If so, then you are proceeding in the right direction. If not, than there is a world of wet belt sanders out there.

Try here.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...&cw=990&ch=675
Old 09-22-2017, 01:43 PM
The Old Gaffer

Charles makes a good point regarding scale. That being said I own several sizes of certain tools and the ones that come to mind for me are a 7.5 inch side angle grinder as opposed to a makita four inch side disk grinder. The others are the 106 belt as opposed to ones about half that size all the way down to the dynabrade 24 inch air grinder. They all have different applications.

If I'm serious about stock removal with a side disk, I grab my big wild cat and cut through sheet steel. My Makita's (I have two) are never going to do that but is great for light cutting and cleanup. I keep different fittings on each one.

I have used a half sized wet feed belt and as compared to the 106, If I leaned on the smaller one as hard as I would the 106, The tool itself would move.

The dynafile I own three of and it's absolutely irreplaceable maneuvering inside of glass pieces. It cost more than a fine tablesaw.

So all that being said, I know David and his dog and pony show. I suspect he needs a 106.

Keep in mind my horizontal lap machines are as big as 38's with wheel heads that weigh four hundred pounds. I don't like tools that move.

Great images Charles!
Old 09-24-2017, 04:02 AM

Peter Bowles is on a distinguished road
Sorry, have to ask, if you've never used one - why do you think you need one?

I think wet belts are pretty versatile as a stand alone piece of equipment, but become more redundant the more machines you have around you. It all depends on the mix.
There is a sweet spot on wet belts that are great for soft bevel edges, but they can as easily be done on an 8 inch expandable drum - on a machine that can be used for stones, diamond wheels or whatevers.

If you want to do a lot of work on rims - then they certainly have their advantages over other machines.

I guess I'm saying if I was to pay 3k for a piece of machinery I'd need to know that it was going to make a big enough difference to warrant that outlay.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:23 AM
The Old Gaffer

I would never buy a new 106 machine. Too much money. Used, yes.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:41 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Call every glass shop near you that works with residential flat glass and ask if they have any retired sanders that they would want to sell.. that's what I did and got my hands on a beautiful somner macca that needed new bearings pressed into the cast iron bearing housings. I also wire brushed everything and painted it with Por-15. It's like brand new now. I love that machine
Old 09-24-2017, 02:00 PM

Rick Wilton is on a distinguished road
When I got my Bee metal 106", it had been sitting outside for years unused for years and was literally frozen into the ground. It was free... but I figured I'd have to replace the motor, bearings or the water feed solenoid. Brought it back, cleaned it up and haven't replaced anything on it. I've been using it now for 6-7 years and seems 100%.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 PM
The Old Gaffer

Indeed. mine was sixty bucks and was just wired wrong. I corrected that and its been 47 years. It's one of those tools that when you want it, you're really glad it's there. Again, try Houston.