CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 02:47 PM

charlie jenkins is on a distinguished road
Round pot in a square furnace thoughts?

I am considering changing my Electroglass furnace to accommodate a round crucible.
Mine: 450# capacity, OD 26"w x 28"d x 12"h

I expect to lose volume in the round crucible, I am already ready for that adjustment. But, to best fit the top structure I need to figure out which of about three choices to use.

I have read and spoken with people about casting it in a box to essentially invest it and I think I know how I will do that.
I want to know what people did about the differential heat around the sides and back. How much castable thickness? Do I need a 24" diameter cruc or can I go with 26"?

Thanks
C
Old 09-26-2017, 03:12 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
donald Carlson did this in Oregon quite a few years back. You might try contacting him. Sinotte was never shy about the price he asked for that oval crucible. Both LaClede and Engineered ceramics did make the pot but it was considered proprietary since it wasn't round. You might see if they both still feel that way.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 PM

Donald Carlson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
donald Carlson did this in Oregon quite a few years back. You might try contacting him. Sinotte was never shy about the price he asked for that oval crucible. Both LaClede and Engineered ceramics did make the pot but it was considered proprietary since it wasn't round. You might see if they both still feel that way.
Not sure if I know how to do this reply. If it's not correct, delete it Pete and I'll try again.

I've done this on a couple of Electroglass furnaces. Take your original furnace and either line it with insulation brick or cast something the same size as the original design. DO NOT invest a pot, ever. Stupid idea. Pete will agree with me on this one. Not sure who came up with that idea. Crucibles these days last as long as you want it to. I'm on 3 years now for these crucibles, in a furnace I designed and Sinotte did the electronics. He's a genius in electric stuff but not furnace design. His ideas are great but they don't work for very long. I melt 5 colors in a furnace at a time, and this furnace is going on 19 years now. Sinotte's electronics have given me 0 problems. None, nada. But do not invest the crucible. My last two furnaces lasted 20 years each. I make all my furnaces out of 12x3x24 inch hard bricks. Including the roof. They last forever. Change the pots thru the roof. Takes 2 hours. Back up and running. Sinotte is really smart, but his prices are through the roof. A square crucible sounds great, but the idea doesn't work. He doesn't have enough experience to make a furnace that will last. But he's still standing and all the other electric guys are gone. Also all of my door ports are round, not square. If you want to worry about a round crucible in a square hole you are wasting your time. Thing about the door shape. I ran a test of round doors and square doors in 1971. About a 20% difference in costs. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:37 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I would note that Cheyenne Malcomb and Eddie Bernard are in actuality quite happily building Moly Furnaces and Minteq will supply you with an AZS liner . Stadelman was the only business failure in that dept and it had more to do with the crash in 2008 than anything else.

I would never invest a pot.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:48 AM

charlie jenkins is on a distinguished road
O K . . .
Do not invest pot, got it.
Thank gog!

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting a free standing pot that fits within the size of my top section (under 26"), and stack hard brick to support the top section? rebuild as normal?

-Will need to replace soft brick floor with cast or hard brick I imagine.

-Would this mean cutting in a clean out port for the inevitable glass spill?

This is close to a whole redesign I had not considered, but intrigued.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:58 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
A a quick fix we emptied out the square crucible and sat one of pete's right in it. You should have seen the glass that sucked back in the cracked crucible from the outside that we built up around the crucible that was impressively nasty stuff. I would say that this approach was not the smartest thing we ever did but it worked in the pinch.

That quick fix lasted 2 years if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 09-28-2017 at 01:00 PM.