CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-04-2020, 05:35 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Powder booth fan

Building a powder booth. Have it all figured and built except I need a better fan. Looking to use a 12V DC radiator fan. I would like to be able to adjust the fan speed. Do I need a PWM with it or with a DC motor can I just use a potentiometer?
Old 07-04-2020, 05:50 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Yeah, you can control a DC motor's speed with a potentiometer directly, no need for PWM.

That potentiometer is going to have to dissipate whatever power is being drawn away from the fan, so the pot and surrounding wiring may heat up if the booth uses a larger fan and it's left running on a low setting for a while. I doubt it will actually be an issue, just something to be aware of.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:10 AM
Registered Abuser

Brian Graham is on a distinguished road
This is the Dayton blower I use for powder and fuming. I have it connected to a plastic chamber - foot pedal operated. It moves a lot of air fast! Expensive unit - I found mine used for the price of good beer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blower 1.jpg (44.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg blower 2.jpg (32.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 AM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Built one that collapses and lays flat. Uses a HEPA filter that removes and then a dust collector hose that directs the filtered air up the hood. Used hinge pins to take hold the panels together.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:11 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Powder booths aren't really the same as fuming chambers. The powder only gasses when in direct contact with the glass piece. I doubt it needs the same high velocity.
The other thing about such chambers is that it needs to startup about three seconds before you actually make contact in either environment. Otherwise, it will go where it goes. The only powders that I think cause any real problem are the lead arsenates. I suspect that the basic air you breathe in your studios is equally as great an issue as booths. I see very few well vented studios.

Keep in mind glass workers are dying of Alcohol and tobacco and soon... covid 19 but not so much from this sort of stuff.