CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Schools & Books & Video links

Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 PM

Dave Hilty is on a distinguished road
Ok, I give up... What would persuade someone to purchase the 4th edition for $2,300.00? Amazon has the same price on their listing?? I know it is valuable but 2 grand?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:09 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
That's the point were people hit the copier.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
You'll do a lot better on eBay. Still pricey, but not nearly that insane.

I read once that the crazy high prices you sometimes see on Amazon, eBay, and other vendor sites are connected to money laundering schemes. I've never quite understood how that works, so I'll leave it to others to determine if it makes any sense.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Mitcheal Veenstra is on a distinguished road
I was able to snag a replacement copy of the 3rd edition fairly cheaply recently on Amazon.. My 4th edition is still sitting on the shelf safe, not getting loaned out. People are always listing some edition or the other at outrageous prices. Usually you can find a copy at a more reasonable price if you keep looking.

Or, ebay sometimes turns up a cheap price.. crazy world out there
Old 03-31-2017, 02:07 PM
Lightweight

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
More ridiculous prices

There's an original copy of this on Amazon now:

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Glass-Info..._1449807624287

I checked to see if this seller also has a copy of Henry's book for sale. Apparently, they do not. I did find it curious that every title they carry that has the word "glass" in it is priced at $2,498.00 (regardless of the actual subject matter). The rest of their books seemed to be priced normally. I guess they're just fishing for suckers, or some weird algorithm thing that I don't understand.

If you want a copy of this book, buy it from Joe at Igneous:

http://www.bookwire.com/books/publis...ous-Glassworks
Old 03-31-2017, 03:29 PM

Terry Crider is on a distinguished road
If anyone's interested in Henry's 3rd or 4th edition --- take a look in the
classified ads.
Terry
Old 03-31-2017, 04:01 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
Greg, those insane prices are usually due to buggy, or badly programmed, pricing software. I bought a book a few years ago that I knew was being remaindered for a few dollars. Saw it listed on eBay for over a grand, so I contacted the seller to see if he was serious. He wrote back that he didn't set up his store quite right, and that the program he was using hiked the price each time the item was viewed. Have also heard that some vendors "park" their inventory when they go on vacation by putting up crazy prices they know no one will pay. I don't sell on eBay, so I don't know if that makes sense. Seems eBay should provide that feature.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Hey! I'll sign my section for about a dollar fifty. You have to pay the postage and and handling of course. I think that comes to about 2,900.00 USD, more or less.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Lightweight

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Samuel View Post
Greg, those insane prices are usually due to buggy, or badly programmed, pricing software. I bought a book a few years ago that I knew was being remaindered for a few dollars. Saw it listed on eBay for over a grand, so I contacted the seller to see if he was serious. He wrote back that he didn't set up his store quite right, and that the program he was using hiked the price each time the item was viewed. Have also heard that some vendors "park" their inventory when they go on vacation by putting up crazy prices they know no one will pay. I don't sell on eBay, so I don't know if that makes sense. Seems eBay should provide that feature.
That makes sense Rich, thanks. Since it's Amazon I don't know either way. I still find it curious that it's only books with the word "glass" in the title. Probably a bug like you said.

I have done a fair amount of transactions on eBay. Mostly as a seller, so I'm kinda familiar with the rules (it's been a few years tho). Back in '09 I unwillingly had to sell my collection of rare records in order to pay for frivolous stuff like heat and food. Man, ya wanna talk about people paying stupid amounts of money for stupid things I got losta stories. Setting unrealistic prices like that for reasons like market testing, etc. are frowned upon. I think eBay still maintains the philosophy that you can only have things listed if you intend to sell. Of course there's always to spirit of the law, and then the letter of the law.