CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Gaffer Red Lustre - Questions

OK, when folks say that it reduces to gold they aren't kidding. Easy to reduce and stunning gold, on an ornament. Amazing stuff.

It does have some odd properties that I am trying to sort out.

The gold reduction was easy on an ornament, short working time, right to the fluffy torch in the box, total gold pimp sphere.

Working longer with it, it looks yellow with light red flecks until you anneal it, in the annealer it turns red. Reduction when working with it is a bit odd, we made a goblet with it and when we went to reduce it we got a light silver reduction not a gold reduction.

Any thoughts or explanations of what is going on here?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 PM

Dave Hilty is on a distinguished road
It is a striking color that develops the red transmission color in the annealer.

I'm assuming you started with bar for the goblet? If so, it is tough to get the interior of a vessel to reduce in the gloryhole. My sample image in the previous thread was well-reduced on the flared lip that was fully exposed to the reduction flame but the interior of the vase was hardly reduced at all. Thats probably what you are seeing as a light silver. I haven't tried to go crazy with a torch inside the vessels I use this color with. The accent gold at the turned out lip is like gold gilt and a nice touch.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 PM

We used f0 frit for it. For the goblet we tried using the fluffy torch to get it to reduce after we turned the gas up in the GH.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 PM

Isaac Swanson is on a distinguished road
The hole and fluffy torch sounds like overkill. You'll likely have better results with just the fluffy torch and warm piece. I imagine the more reduction on the piece the more the silver comes to the surface, and muddies the shine.
So to get an ideal shine try: Final heat -> Fluffy -> Box it.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 AM

David Hopman is on a distinguished road
I reduce pumpkin stems in red lustre to a strong gold in about 8 seconds with a Bernzomatic T-8000 torch.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Swanson View Post
The hole and fluffy torch sounds like overkill. You'll likely have better results with just the fluffy torch and warm piece. I imagine the more reduction on the piece the more the silver comes to the surface, and muddies the shine.
So to get an ideal shine try: Final heat -> Fluffy -> Box it.
On the goblet we started with the glory hole and got very little reduction. Then we figured we should try the fluffy, got more but not much. On the ornament where we hadn't worked the color much we went right to the fluffy and immediately got amazing reduction. Somehow I think the working time with tools changed the reduction behavior.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:23 PM

Dave Hilty is on a distinguished road
Didn't realize you were using frit on the outside of the goblet as with an ornament. I think the working time or tooling are not the issue. In my experience, the reduction response us entirely dependent on the density of the red lustre frit. I've used #2 frit on ornaments and then switched to #1 and there is a big difference when reducing the surface when it's blown out to the same size. #0 is even thinner and less gold in reduction when its stretched thin on a bubble. Using any size frit or powder on pumpkin stems will get a wonderful gold pop in the torch because stems are not blown out so the color is thicker on the surface of the clear.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 PM

Travis Frink is on a distinguished road
When my red luster grain was not striking to red, I tried pre annealing some before use. The grain turned red as expected (after breaking up the big clump it had become) but that didn't last in the finished piece. It did however, reduce to a silverish color with a pearl appearance on the inside. always reduced with a propane torch.