CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-16-2019, 10:40 AM

David Hopman is on a distinguished road
A variation of this that I use is to use the tips of shears to crimp the slightly moving joint before tapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hilty View Post
Can't help myself but to chime in. Some years ago I asked for advice here to avoid my inevitable divot in the bottom when knocking off the punty.
Jordan kube posted a suggestion that gave me immediate results and as long as I didn't forget in my haste to move on to the next piece it never failed to give me easy tap offs.

Since the piece has cooled considerably at the punty end as you are focusing on finishing the top/lip etc., you need to flash heat the punty in the glory combined with bench torching the bottom of the piece several times to get it back up to the heat you want.
You know you have the bottom warm enough when you have the piece barely moving on the punty. Now you are ready for the final flash and the knock off.
Using this (warm enough to be almost moving) technique I just touch the desired break off point with the tip of a butter knife, turn 180 and touch again and rap the punty with the blade of the butter knife. Presto, nice breaks and no breakouts of the bottom.

Ignore the warm enough to move protocol and you can be assured of poor breaks.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:25 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
This is all bringing me back to a great Larry Bell quote:

"A good craftsman never blames his tools. He blames his assistant. "