CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 03:55 PM

Chris Lowry is on a distinguished road
Cleaning up Hxtal

So Iím glueing sculpture to plate glass... how do you clean up the stuff that squishes out? Iíve only done this once before and it went easy but on this one I have a lot of squish out. Can you wait and clean it up later when it starts to set? What is best???

Thanks
Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
well, get the wretched excess. Wear plastic gloves And when you've got the glop in paper towels, ball that up and close the gloves over that. Treat the fumes with good respect. . Depending on how much you added the part B, and whether you heat the piece following joining the sections, it will be about 24 hours before you want to go after the hard clean up but check and see how much you can pick up with acetone without risking the acetone wicking under joint. Use relly sharp new exacto blades for clean up or you'll scratch the work. Q tips help. Doing it a bunch of times helps. I wish I could be more specific but better too early than too late.

We used to calc 1 gram of glue to every square inch of surface to be glued.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:05 PM

So I was able to use Q tips to get most of it off but there is some haze left on the piece. Can that come off with acetone after 24 hours?

I mixed true to the 3-1.
Not heating the piece but they are in a room with a kiln. After 3 hours the left over in the cup is getting thick, would be hard to pour already.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Am I safe to remove frame work after 24 hrs? The work will stand on its own just needed framework to keep it from sliding. Glue surface is a triangle around two inches on the sides.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:41 PM
The Old Gaffer

The work should stand on its own unless it's impossibly cantilevered at 24 hours. Haze should come off with acetone reasonably well with some rubbing. It's the thick stuff that's harder to remove.

I'd check it at 20 hours and see how it's doing. Inconvenient but necessary until you have good book on your process. Write everything down. Watch out for knive blades going under the joint. That's killer stuff and easy to do.

Just because it's hard to pour is not a basis for heavy cleaning. When you can dent it is when you get really serious.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 PM

Thanks Pete that gives me something to go on.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:19 AM
The Old Gaffer

It indeed has a learning curve. I suspect gluing two things together that you don't care about and practicing on them would be a reasonable approach but it sounds like by the time you get this that you should be deep into the learning curve. Best of results.