CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 12:49 PM

Patrick Casanova is on a distinguished road
Snowflake Order

I am having a batch of Pet's Snowflake in the Q at Spruce Pine. It should be shipping right around the end of the month. I don't need it all that soon for my production. I've spoken to Candy at SP and she's OK with someone else taking the other half of the order and having it shipped to them.

If you are interested in trying this batch and don't want to commit to a ton, or if you are going to be needing something to melt, this might work for you.

Call Spruce Pine and talk to Candy. Tell her you are on the Casanova order. She'll take it from there. Please let me know or post here that it has been spoken for.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:52 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I love my formula in the snowflake. SP mixes better than I do. I get really nice melts.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:15 PM

I melted Spruce Pine for over 20 years and never had a problem with it. Nothing feels the same as blowing fresh new glass. I fire with gas and I'm comfortable with batching. I also agree with what many of the others who've been around it a long time have said, the dust is not an issue. Or doesn't have to be if you use common sense. If you want to see craftsmen living with dust visit any old ceramics studio. That isn't what killing us off. I tried the Cristallica and it worked nicely. I don't know if I saved anything by not having to go to batching temps. That's not where I leak dollars in my business. Stupid costs me way more each month... so I'm looking forward to trying this glass.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Casanova View Post
I melted Spruce Pine for over 20 years and never had a problem with it. Nothing feels the same as blowing fresh new glass. I fire with gas and I'm comfortable with batching. I also agree with what many of the others who've been around it a long time have said, the dust is not an issue. Or doesn't have to be if you use common sense. If you want to see craftsmen living with dust visit any old ceramics studio. That isn't what killing us off. I tried the Cristallica and it worked nicely. I don't know if I saved anything by not having to go to batching temps. That's not where I leak dollars in my business. Stupid costs me way more each month... so I'm looking forward to trying this glass.
You save with cristallica by charging at the end of every day and not loosing a day of production to charge a full pot of batch.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:44 PM
The Old Gaffer

... and your expensive furnace begins to dissolve because you use cristalica.
Which costs more?
I'm the one who brought it into the country. I think it's not a good glass to use if you weigh everything. What I love now is having great glass and a pristine pot after a year. What costs more..?
Old 12-03-2018, 09:40 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I didnít say I use it .. but that is the ONLY advantage I see to using it. Iím a spruce pine lover.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:57 AM

In my old furnace I had a 24" pot. It had enough power that I could charge two bags of batch at 4 in the afternoon, turn it down at 9 and have good glass the following morning. My practice was to top off no more than two times on the original melt and made sure I really stirred it on that next full pot of batch.

For me the nuggets and the bird poop both would leave me with some small bubbles deep, (I'm assuming the thermocline) if I didn't do a long enough soak at a high enough temp. I wasn't just charge and go for me. I liked the glass. I'm not going back to batch because of bad glass quality. I'm going back to batch because I can. I'm trying Pet's formula because I've known him for 25 years and he says it is good glass... that's good enough for me. But that's me.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 AM
The Old Gaffer

Don't confuse snowflake as being the name of my batch. Snowflake is a type of mixing process at Spruce Pine. My batch has been known by Croucher and me as VDL Clear. Spruce Pine knows it as the VanderLaan Formula. When it comes to me, there's a big "V" on the bags. They don't stock it ( I wish they did) and mix to order so it can take a while. If it gains enough popularity, I imagine they would keep a few pallets about. It doesn't harden like the nuggets do.It's dead on with expansion. The viscosity is a little higher. I'm quite pleased with it and view it as the best formula I've ever concocted.