CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Lisa Tate is on a distinguished road
Seeking advice for exhaust fan

Hello everyone, i am setting up a glass shop in Missoula, MT and I can use some advice on a make/model of exhaust fan to vent the gas appliances. Local contractors have been no help in determining what I need. My shop is 35' x 45' with 15' high ceiling and has two large overhead doors, two man doors, several windows. I plan to run one 16" glory hole and 1 small pipewarmer to start but hope to add another glory hole in the future. I have a hood that is 4' x 8' x 3' tall than will be suspended over the g hole and pipewarmer. I would like to exhaust the air out of the side of the building vs. the ceiling. Every local HVAC contractor has left scratching his head about what type of fan to get. I would really appreciate any advice you all may have for a make/ model of fan.
Thank you! Lisa
Old 12-02-2018, 03:30 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Put a duct above the flue of the furnace so that exhaust gas goes up and into the duct. Make sure that it can draw air from the shop into the duct as well at its opening. Vent that directly outside do the same thing above the mouth of the glory hole. Then mount a 36 variable speed box fan in the wall behind the furnace furnace and adjust as needed. Oh and build an insulated hood above everything.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:55 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I do that differently.
Your hood sounds a bit small to me and it's important to think about radiation which travels in all directions. Since your hood does not go to the floor and in my mind it should, I think it should be a bit larger or the tooling will sit at the edge of the hood radiating outward. So, first, build it to the floor. Your ceiling height is great. Keep the tooling away from the ventilating wall.

My hood is about 8 feet deep and twelve feet wide and 10 feet tall. It is made entirely from steel studs, HVAC board and sheetrock. It has numerous dead air spaces built into the walls since the building is wood. . It is built right against the wall to the outside and the hood itself has no back wall and I built a steel frame that can house three 24 inch shuttered fans from Graingers. Those should run about $450 dollars each and develop about 3200 cu ft of exhaust per minute each. If the hood is tight, to the floor, that will completely exhaust that space. Currently that hood has only two installed since it seems more than adequate. I determine that by lighting damp paper which smokes and hold it in front of the hood. The smoke should head straight in. It has been running for 12 years.

You don't say where your furnace is and how its built or what you melt and all those things should get considered now. All my tooling is under the hood. All this stuff generates heat and a cool sweatfree glassmaker is a happy one. This thing may serve you for years so make it livable at the start. Some days we run both fans, some days none. It's usually only 2F hotter inside than outside the building.

Whenever we designed studios, we always made maquettes of all the tooling and laid them out on graph paper. It really helps.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:51 PM

Thank you. Mu furnace is Canned heat 100 pound electric furnace. I was batching system 96 but now will probably go to spruce pine unless a better alternative comes up that's reliable to get. I've only set up one shop before and in that case I vented the hood through the roof with a simple attic fan from home depot. It worked great for me with that shop but in this case I don't want to go through the ceiling so an exhaust fan is what I am trying to figure out.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:01 AM
The Old Gaffer

So where does that furnace live in the shop? I don't expect to see the cullet situation change much in the next six months although Kugler is currently trying to get in the act amongst a field of competitors all after your dollar, but currently Cristalica is sole source. That will change. Spruce Pine will be far easier on the furnace. The snowflake version is worth considering.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Hi, The furnace is in a corner, next to it is the pipe warmer then the glory hole.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM
The Old Gaffer

So, it is all going under the proposed hood. Two walls make up part of the hood, then it has a front opening and a third wall, maybe? What are the walls made of if that assessment is accurate?
Old 12-07-2018, 05:58 PM

Location: Salida, CO the Happy Little Town of my Happy Little Dreams
Brice Turnbull is on a distinguished road
Hi Lisa,
the type of fan you want is the kind used on a commercial kitchen. It looks like a UFO.

If a link is allowed, here's a link as an example. I don't know what volume you'll want, but this is the type of fan that satisfied my building inspectors. The first two systems my HVAC guys built were rejected. This type is what passed.

https://www.zoro.com/dayton-exhaust-...86/i/G2190921/

If the link doesn't work, it's a Dayton exhaust vent fan - Manufacturer # 4YC86
Old 12-07-2018, 06:14 PM
The Old Gaffer

what ever you get, get two so you can vary the volume. One for hot days, one for cool.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Dan Vanantwerp is on a distinguished road
Hi Lisa, I'm over in Bozeman. I know it's a 4 hour drive, but you're welcome to stop by sometime. I have a similar setup and what immediately jumps to mind is issues with the glory. I ran 2 Gibberson burners in mine with a strong blower to overcome our altitude. My first glory had a squirrel cage fan with single Gibberson and was way too cold. I've used another studio that had a pine ridge and good blower which also worked fine. Hopefully you've already dealt with that hurdle.

My furnace is a custom kiln-element conversion with an 80 lber and two 17s for color. The ventilation works nicely to draw off gases and heat while melting. I love clearing the shop of dust during cleanup by cranking up the fans. It would be better if the vent dropped lower as Pete suggests, but I worried about twirling my pipe and piece right into it...clumsy me.

I've attached some pics. This setup has worked well for me. I only run one of the fans in wintertime. Blowing glass in a toasty studio when it's -10F is as good as it gets!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0256.jpg (45.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (40.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg image1 (2).jpg (35.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (35.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:04 PM
The Old Gaffer

I don't like those high hoods because they draw a lot of air that has nothing to do with the real issues, so the things have to be monstrous to get the stuff you really need to get. The only thing I really see being affected by the hood is that heat rises.

With a focused hood, it can be pretty small and the exhaust draw can be less but more concentrated.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Has anyone used soft start motors for the second fan? The first fan runs all the time but the second fan goes on and off way more times. I am thinking about changing the motor pulley as well to get more air moving in the shop from the second fan but don't think a regular motor will last long with a smaller pulley. Thinking that a soft start motor may last longer. Any and all thoughts welcome.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM

Jeff Thompson is on a distinguished road
I have two of these in my shop (30x55) with the variable speed option and I'm have been happy

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...50_CF1770.html