CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-04-2019, 02:36 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
20 inch diamond blades

So I was ordering some really thin diamond blades today as well as a 14 inch continuous rim blade for the Felker and I inquired about a 20 inch blade which my saw will accomodate. The tech there ( North Jersey Diamond) said that 20 inch blades just aren't made anymore which kind of surprised me. I still have one and it's a big honking blade but is showing wear. She said the largest industrial blade made now for this type work is a 16 inch, by no means small but not the 20.
Many things I inquire about now are no longer made. Try to find a 1/4 or a 1/2 inch by 24 inch belt in a 500 grit Aluminum oxide for a dyna file. Has to be aluminum oxide. I have about 20 new ones left from 2001. At least they still make through the waterway bits for starlite drill sets.

Sad.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
So I was ordering some really thin diamond blades today as well as a 14 inch continuous rim blade for the Felker and I inquired about a 20 inch blade which my saw will accomodate. The tech there ( North Jersey Diamond) said that 20 inch blades just aren't made anymore which kind of surprised me. I still have one and it's a big honking blade but is showing wear. She said the largest industrial blade made now for this type work is a 16 inch, by no means small but not the 20.
Many things I inquire about now are no longer made. Try to find a 1/4 or a 1/2 inch by 24 inch belt in a 500 grit Aluminum oxide for a dyna file. Has to be aluminum oxide. I have about 20 new ones left from 2001. At least they still make through the waterway bits for starlite drill sets.

Sad.
Tell that to my landlord that just bought a couple of new blades for his 24" saw.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:19 AM
The Old Gaffer

David Patchen was kind enough to direct me to Barranca which indeed does have blades and saws up to 30 inch. I lose touch. I have a 20 inch Felker which is now owned by Husqvarna. Barranca appears to sell blades from MK. At one point I was under the impression that Felker had been bought up by MK.'
It goes on.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:23 PM

John Riepma is on a distinguished road
Pete, have you tried Klingspor for the Dynafile belts? I know that they don't have the exact size that you mentioned but they produce all kinds of sanding equipment and list to 500 grit aluminum oxide in other narrow-belt sizes. They may be able to produce what you want since it's just a matter of slitting and joining the correct size.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:24 PM

Rollin Karg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post

Sad.
Johnson Brothers lapidary in Orange, California has them. 714-771-7007. They have quite a supply of thin kerf blades.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:55 AM

Kenny Pieper is on a distinguished road
North Jersey Diamond will make them too pretty sure
Old 03-23-2019, 12:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

North Jersey won't make them, I've inquired. They went further and said no one makes them anymore. That proved to be not true. I'm having a really hard time getting them to communicate and why, I'm not sure. I call, I write and get this strange stone wall.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:38 AM

Kenny Pieper is on a distinguished road
Interesting
They made me some small thin blades last month and were easy to work with.
I guess it is the larger size that is a problem for them.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:18 AM
The Old Gaffer

I'll continue to try. What I want in a small blade is a 7" with a 1" knockout for cutting jewelry stock. I want it to be an 020 kerf so stock isn't wasted and that's a special order blade. My needs on a fourteen inch are pretty much run of the mill and the inquiry about the 20" was more an inquiry than a need. I was surprised at the answer "No one makes them" to find Barranca will supply them easily for cash. I don't quite know who's who at this point. MK seems to be a blade Barranca supplies and we've gotten MK to make blades up for us in the past. All this stuff has become moving targets. Felker slab saws, once an industry mainstay is a Husqvarna product now.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
For the Marybeth jewelry blades, did you check Kingsley North? They used to have very nice thin blades that were great for cutting bead stock. And while you say you need a 1” arbor, you could very easily pick up a cheap tile saw that has the normal arbor size for the smaller blades.

Last edited by Eben Horton; 04-03-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:31 AM
The Old Gaffer

We tried a cheap saw which had a stationary blade and that setup cuts entirely differently than an overhead slab saw, which actually cuts cleanly. I've never had a saw as nice as the Felker which drops the blade into the work piece. That's a really nice feature wherein you can essentially score your work and snap it off later if you choose.We can get blades custom made at a .025 kerf and do.
The 20 inch was more of an inquiry. I don't like going up to that size since you really need to change the pulley ratio once you pass 14 inch. That's a major chore.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Makes sense !