CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
Batch Safety / Studio Design

I'm getting ready to sign a lease on a new place. Problem is, the workshop is only about 1000ft. I'd like to run batch, and start doing some basic melts. This space will also have the bathroom in it, and need to generally stay clean as part will be public space. And connected to a cafe/gallery area.

What are the OSHA guidelines here? From what I remember, you need a completely sealed room... and filtration. I will want to do some ceramic shell and mold making as well (it has an outdoor patio area as well that I could conceivably pour a pad and fence in for coldworking/this purpose if that makes more sense).

A downdraft table popped up on my local surplus site. Would this be useful? At 5 x 8 ft it's a lot of real estate to give up. But it's probably going for cheap. Seems to me one of their "dustron" units would be better suited?

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/fs...ew?auc=2312097

All I know is my alma matter did NOT follow guidelines....
Old 04-02-2019, 05:35 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Grow tent. You're going to have to give up real estate no matter what. You haven't really described it as an ideal space. Mix somewhere else and bring it in. You could even convert a trailer to a batch mixing room. Move it around. Cops will be pleasantly surprised to see someone making glass instead of meth in the Walmart parking lot.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:54 PM

That's what I was thinking. I could maybe drop a shipping container out back or pour a slab or something?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:21 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Before I got there, I was going to suggest Jordan's grow tent. Do that.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Grow tent... check. Don't I need a filtration system a well?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:39 PM
The Old Gaffer

filters, not so much. Ventilation for you, yes. The melts can push filtration but you need to exceed certain limits to be a subject.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:43 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Max,

Get your inspectors down to the site. Fire, electrical, and building and get them to tell you exactly how to stay out of trouble. Otherwise they will be there at some point and you get to undo everything at great expense.

It has saved me more than I can explain having had each of them in the shop before I did anything to tell me how to stay out of trouble.

Look at what your liability insurance is going to be on the building you got a public aspect to cover. Also, guard rails go ahead and start thinking about how you keep a child from running into the hot zone.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:03 PM

Instead of continue on about the shop in this thread, I'm going to throw it back up on the original post on the off topic board.

I'll throw up the layout there.

I'd like to have a filtration system for silica one way other the other... so I'm thinking now instead of later.

I can get the downdraft table for cheap, or what about something like this?

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/tl...835411222.html

I'm assuming I would need something at roof level to absorb toxins from actually melting the glass?
Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
Max,

Get your inspectors down to the site. Fire, electrical, and building and get them to tell you exactly how to stay out of trouble. Otherwise they will be there at some point and you get to undo everything at great expense.

It has saved me more than I can explain having had each of them in the shop before I did anything to tell me how to stay out of trouble.

Look at what your liability insurance is going to be on the building you got a public aspect to cover. Also, guard rails go ahead and start thinking about how you keep a child from running into the hot zone.
Thanks, Scott. I've seen the fire department and electric out so far. The fire plans examiner was very particular about a full metal or glass barrier for that very reason.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:38 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
listen to Scott !
Old 04-03-2019, 04:04 PM
The Old Gaffer

I move almost every batch I make around in five gallon buckets. They can have lids. You could consider putting the tent at your home and do the mixing there.

If you use Spruce Pine as your your clear, or mine, those are just sealed bags and they don't need that room at all. What you do need is an exhaust system for your furnaces but you need that anyways in Florida just for the heat.

Putting it in perspective, if you want two small color pots that hold 13-15 lbs, that doesn't take much of a furnace nor does it take much batch to fill them. This can be done in a really small space with a table, two good scales and a mixer from Home Depot. When I had Scott Benefield showing how to mix in the classes, he had just those things. There was indeed another mixing room for other colors but, again , in perspective, we were charging 14 crucibles every day and sometimes twice a day.

Don't let this build up in your mind as a monster. It doesn't have to be.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:09 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Epstein View Post

I'm assuming I would need something at roof level to absorb toxins from actually melting the glass?
Most melts are not toxic. You need to understand that. You need ventilation because of the consumption of oxygen in the shop and some makeup air. You need that for a gas hot water heater or a wood stove too.

Some chemicals are indeed dangerous like cadmium, selenium chrome and fluorine. You would be way out over your skis to think about such colorants initially.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Patrick Casanova is on a distinguished road
Inspectors are your friend and your insurance company should have no issues because of everything being inspected. How ventilation is handled can be an issue. Our Wisconsin Code didn't have a "Glass Studio" classification. At first the Building Inspector was going to put it under a classification in which I would be required to "temper" my make up air, heat it before blowing it into the studio for the exhaust to immediately pull it out. He saw the futility of that, and after some search came up with the classification under which Foundries and Black Smiths fell. Under that classification the only concern was exhaust capacity. That was a huge savings. My Building Inspector was a great guy and was really helpful. He allowed me to do all the gas train I just had to have a licensed plumber test it and sign off on it. I was fortunate. But they're just doing their job... and they ain't going to loose it over you.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Most melts are not toxic. You need to understand that. You need ventilation because of the consumption of oxygen in the shop and some makeup air. You need that for a gas hot water heater or a wood stove too.

Some chemicals are indeed dangerous like cadmium, selenium chrome and fluorine. You would be way out over your skis to think about such colorants initially.
OK so, no toxic fumes. Just toxic materials that can get airborne, stored improperly, etc. That makes me feel a bit better. Not that I'm expecting to jump right in, but if I can future proof now, that's good. I'm around a lot of different businesses, and dont want to get anyone sick. Or me or my dogs.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:10 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post

Don't let this build up in your mind as a monster. It doesn't have to be.
This.

Take reasonable precautions for yourself(respirator, sweeping compound) and get to work.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:32 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kube View Post
This.

Take reasonable precautions for yourself(respirator, sweeping compound) and get to work.
That.

They don't have to be conceived of as toxic any more than a bag of cement opened is toxic. It is surely dusty and you don't want it in your lungs. So, yes wear a respirator, a tyvek suit is nice- a cheap one, gloves and do clean up after yourself.