CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 04-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
Old timer memories

who here remembers a company named Brentwood Glassworks in Canada. I just ran across some rod with their label on it. Were they a distributor for Kugler, etc. or did they manufacture?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 PM

Mark Armstrong is on a distinguished road
If I'm not mistaken it was Bob Held's colour manufacturing company in Canada. I'm sure someone here will know more than I do. I still have one or two bars.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:38 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
It was bob's venture. I got some of that stuff from the Texas contingent Bill Bagley was running at Tech Tech in the '80's and it didn't really fit much stuff. It was short lived but one of the early attempts at making rod to compete with the Germans. It looked great though.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
I had a couple of bars of their cobalt blue that were really nice, and two bars of dense white that were "pebbly." They were in a mixed lot of color I bought when I was a beginner. The guy I bought it from was being forced to give up glassblowing by his fiancé; she wasn't going to marry a "laborer or an artist." I've always wondered how that relationship worked out.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:00 AM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
IIRC, the range of color was not large. Blues, greens, purples, and white. I still have bags of frit that were not sized very well....
Old 04-11-2019, 07:14 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
That was at a period of time where the basic processing of color into rods was not addressed in the USA. The first article on Linear expansion came from Paul Manners in 1974.

While I can't speak to Bob's motives with Brentwood, I can say that he addressed the issue of expansion in his writing for NCECA in 1967 I believe, it could have been later but it was pre GAS. I don't know who recalls "Rainbow Color Rods" being pushed out there in the mid to latter seventies and the guy did show up with samples for sale at one of the GAS Conferences. He however did not know what a linear expansion coefficient was. That lasted under three months and did only colors that one could easily achieve in their own shop.
There were certainly shops making their own color, Lundberg, Hopper, Nuerot, me, but not marketing them . The only school was Penland.