CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 05-19-2020, 04:36 PM

Dave Lindsay is on a distinguished road
Studio for Sale

A little over a year ago, my wife and I started putting out the word that we wanted to sell our business Lindsay Art Glass. I have been blowing glass for 44 years and am ready to retire. It's been a great run. Studio and gallery is located in Benicia, Ca. which is on the northeast end of the SF Bay. We quickly realized we were not going to sell for what we thought it was worth. Benicia at one time had Nourot Glass, Smyers Glass, Zellique Art Glass, Opal Art Glass, and ours. Five very successful studios. We all were wholesaling and all had retail galleries. Over the years our retail really grew and we have steady customers from Silicon Valley to Sacramento. After realizing we weren't going to get near our asking price, our goal became trying to keep glassblowing in Benicia. It's had studios for almost 50 years. So we brought our price way down and had real interest from 2 parties. In January, we started negotiating and in February had a verbal agreement to sell. In March our landlord gave permission for this party to assume the lease. You know the rest, Covid 19 put an end to what appeared to be working out quite nicely. So we have given our 6 months notice which we had written in to get out of lease if need be. We have been here 23 years and our landlord has been great. He responded that if we found someone to buy, he would be glad to give a glass studio a new lease. With that said, I'm putting word out again that we would still love for someone to buy our studio and gallery as is. Fully functional hot shop, cold shop, and a very nice gallery with quality jewelry cases, shelving, pedestals, and lighting. Asking price 20K. Please tell anyone you might know that could be interested. If you read all of this, Thanks and be safe.
David 707-208-7673
Old 05-19-2020, 04:53 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
This is the shop I said would go for 50K.

Two or three glassworkers would have a remarkable deal buying it
Old 05-19-2020, 05:24 PM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
Wow! Someone or some people are going to be loving it!
Old 05-20-2020, 12:45 AM

Chris Lowry is on a distinguished road
I want to see pics, must be some good stuff there.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:27 AM

If you take a look at our website, there is a video of my wife Ann in gallery. Also a video of me making a piece, but it doesnít show much of studio. www.lindsayartglass.com.
Iíll post some pictures later today
Old 05-20-2020, 07:16 PM

Her are a few pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annealers.jpg (55.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Furnace with Crane.jpg (34.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Hot Shop.jpg (66.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg furnace rebuild2015.jpg (36.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 05-20-2020, 07:18 PM

A couple more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gallery Image.jpg (39.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Gallery1.jpg (45.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:08 AM
The Old Gaffer

Amazing.

I see a diamond saw David but no other cold working equipment. Is there any? Also would frit and rod come with the studio. I see all the molds. The gallery looks very nice.. What is the rent per month? Any other obligations?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 AM

I have a 24Ē horizontal lap wheel with diamond and polishing pads. A Somaca 106Ēx4Ē belt sander. I have two 24Ē reciprocals. Iíve got a few pounds of serium and about 20 lbs. of micro grit. Signing engravers, etc.. Most of my equipment was built by myself or friends. While it is not new, it has all been well maintained. Furnace was fully rebuilt in 2015 and I have only been melting cullet. Havenít taken over 2075, so in very good shape. Last furnace which was in same shell I ran for 18 years, half of which I was melting batch.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:51 AM

Gallery is 1000 sq. ft. and studio, cold shop and hallway 1500 ft. My current lease is $2400 a month.and was going to $2600 in February 2022. Cold shop is on opposite end of hot shop. There is a pack room directly off of gallery. Bathroom with storage and frig. Off of hot shop is a yard about 50 x 25. This is all part of a building on main downtown street First Street. Our entrance is just around corner on side Street.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:59 AM

I would take all my good hand tools, a few pipes, and some color. I would leave a good amount of rod, frit, pipes, and puntys. Also, a couple years ago, I started melting frit I had accumulated over a lot of years. It was all in buckets that were falling apart and quite dirty. I recently cleaned about a 1000 lbs. and there is at least that much left to be cleaned. I have an indoor booth display from when I was doing wholesale shows, and an outdoor set up with tent. Ok, Iíll stop now😎
Old 05-21-2020, 12:24 PM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
Are you selling the business along with the shop? In other words, could someone make your designs and assume all your accounts?
Old 05-21-2020, 01:11 PM

In the beginning thats what we hoped. Everything including all Lindsay inventory, as well as all purchased inventory. We hoped for 200K. That being said, everything is negotiable. David, have you visited Benicia. It's a beautiful art and glass friendly town. Forty five minuted from SF. Thirty to Napa. Granted that means with no traffic. The city has been amazing. If anyone would like to talk to economic development director, and or mayor, they would be happy to talk with you. Glass here for fifty years. And everyone knows what an investment it is to build a shop from scratch. City restrictions, permits, gas meter upgrades, etc. Unbelievable opportunity. Granted, uncertain times. We are trying to give this opportunity to keep glassblowing in Benicia. It's not for the money. Of course I don't want to dismantle shop either. Turn key
Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM
The Old Gaffer

I thought of you immediately on this David.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:21 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I thought of you immediately on this David.
I did too. I rattled his cage over on FB
Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 PM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
I know it feels like a no brainer but itís well over an hour from San Francisco. And even if we moved to Marin (a possibility), itís still far from there. My wife works 5 min from where we live now. It would be perfect for someone who can live in Benicia or northern east bay. It seems like a great deal but glass is a small market.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:01 AM
The Old Gaffer

well be worried about the health of your current situation. Public arts are in trouble in general.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:32 AM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
Even the upscale collectors are looking for breaks. This, from Sotheby's.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/articles...=22-May-20&pc=
Old 05-22-2020, 10:28 AM

David, please spread the word. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 AM
The Old Gaffer

Put it out through GAS David. It strikes me as a rare opportunity for a group to buy it and get started for a very reasonable price. Send the information to the schools GAS lists.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Thought Iíd post a note about where we are at with our studio and gallery. We gave our 6 months notice to get out of our lease May 9th. We had the out written into last lease knowing we might need it. We will need to be out November 9. If we can make a deal with someone, they could perhaps take over In September or October, the start of the upcoming busy season. I think a lease could be negotiated at a lower amount, due to the circumstances. Also, landlord might have a tough time leasing studio space, without putting a considerable amount of money into it. Our landlord Brian owns it with his three sisters. He has managed the property all 23 years we have been there. He has been great. If we canít find a buyer, in a couple months, Iíll start dismantling studio and get what I can. Hopefully things will start getting back to some sense of normalcy in next few months. This is an incredible opportunity for someone. Granted, we donít know what our new normal will look like.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:15 AM
The Old Gaffer

So, that furnace has two doors. Are there two pots? What's the deal there. ?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:46 AM

Iíve always had a 200 lb clear on left and one or two approximately 30 lb. color pots on right. I was melting Spectrum black cullet in one. Then switched to the Oceanside. Just as good as the Spectrum was. Left half of roof comes off with crane for crucible change. Itís all set up. Iím not moving anytime soon. Would be around if questions, how to, etc.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:08 PM
The Old Gaffer

the amount of money that can be saved making or melting your own color is badly underestimated, not to mention the time saved from having to reheat color rods.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:43 PM

Update

Even with the current environment, I'm rather shocked that their hasn't been more interest in my studio and gallery space. At 20K I feel like I'm giving it away. And I'm ok with that. We sent an email to our retail customers two weeks ago that we would be closing in a few months. We have had a few three to four thousand dollar days. Granted people know we are leaving, but the customer base for blown glass is there. It's the price of a good used car. For the low investment, it's worth the risk. Please spread the word, somebody has to be out there. If need be, I'd sell everything for same price, but you gotta come get it.
Thanks, David