CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Classified Ads/ Opportunities

Old 01-18-2019, 11:13 AM

Ryan Staub is on a distinguished road
Arrow Blow Glass In Paradise - Maui Hawaii

Moana Glass, located in Lahaina HI, on the island of Maui is seeking qualified glassblowers for two positions.

1) Blow Your Owns instructor and production worker.

This position entails working with the public, blowing glass, as well as making studio work for sale in the gallery. Our style of BYO lesson is much more hands on than most. We emphasize keeping it fun for both the student and instructor.

Living and working on Maui has many perks. It's always summer, it's one of the best surfing, SUP, kite surfing and windsurfing spots in the world, has amazing beaches, mellow Island vibe, friendly people and surreal beauty in all of its diverse microclimates.

Pay is $17-20/hr depending on experience. Tips for instructors usually range from $60-140/day, but have been as high as $260 for one day, and are almost always paid in cash.

2) Hot Shop Assistant (1 or 2 positions available)

A General Hot Shop assistant is needed for BYO lesson support, bringing bits and helping instructors. Beginner glassblowers are encouraged to apply for this. There will be training on the job and you will assist with production work as well.

For more details, email Ryan Staub at mail@ryanstaub.com.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2019, 12:18 AM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
This is very tempting, I have to say. I'll be sending you an email!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:28 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Epstein View Post
This is very tempting, I have to say. I'll be sending you an email!
Ryan is a good guy, I did some equipment work for him when he was still based out in Seattle. Excellent glassblower as well. You'd learn a lot working with him.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Bill Worchester is there as well and the Makawao shop on the way up Haleakala is cool. I would wonder what the rents in downtown Lahaina would be like. Maui is beautiful but not cheap. If I recall correctly, Ryan has the only other rectangular Stadelman castings furnace out there. The pot comes out the front! What a concept.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:16 AM

Ryan M Staub is on a distinguished road
Pete, I do indeed have the front change pot MoSi2 furnace. It's a great unit!

Bill Worcester's shop is awesome. Such an idyllic spot. Lahaina ain't cheap and our energy is the most expensive in the nation.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:33 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Mine is just sitting now. I sold off the electrical package and planned to convert it to a recuperated gas unit. Then, I decided to just go a lot smaller which I really like, so, it's just sitting here. Brand new front plate, brand new crown.

It's hard for me to imagine doing a commercial space that can house the tooling you describe and be remotely affordable. I taught in Manoa almost fifty years ago and housing was expensive even then. Lahaina was three blocks long and one block wide. The Pioneer Inn cost 50 bucks a night and you shared the bathroom with everyone on the floor.

Best of luck with the venture. Building that tooling is not hard. Getting the materials you need will be a royal pain. Matson Lines becomes your new best friend.