CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Patrick Casanova is on a distinguished road
Eben,
I've got a complete New in the box, FireEye flame safety system with; a purple peeper, ignition, and solenoid valve. When I had my old studio (when we did Pet's class) I always to build a color furnace and decided I couldn't do it safely in the space I had... anyhow I kept it as a back up. I have no need for it in my current studio. If you're interested I'll dig it out and send you images. I think I've got a complete set of Honeywell high pressure gas valves as well and a Honeywell actuator.

Last edited by Patrick Casanova; 03-15-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:38 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I think Phil is the more appropriate buyer!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Rich Arentzen is on a distinguished road
we initially put in a 16" duct leading to a kitchen exhaust fan and that was not big enough. In my experience 12" duct is far too small and will be loud with any air movement.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Eben, in your plans don't forget about the make up air. It has to come from somewhere. I agree with Rich, the smaller the opening, the louder it's going to get.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that advice rich.

Pete, yes. I was thinking I would make a vent of sorts on one of the garage door windows.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM

Patrick Casanova is on a distinguished road
Eben,
I purchased both of my exhaust fans at a used restaurant equipment dealer in Minneapolis. I'm sure that there are several in your area. I'd also check with a commercial HVAC contractor as to who the salvage yard is that deals in them the most. Your new neighbor, the Bar owner may know of a good used restaurant supply.
Moving into the new neighborhood gives you the opportunity to educate your neighbors to the business side of being a glass artist. Most people have no idea of what our equipment costs are, utilities, etc. It helps when a customer at the bar says, "did ya see how much that guy charges for that?" And the Bar owner responds, "do you have any idea what it costs him to run that furnace? And it's on 24/7." It is a great opportunity to make that first impression and create your identity within the neighborhood. I had a studio on main street next to a popular tavern for 12 years. I think the more you can do to educate and inform the rest of the businesses around you a to who the "new kid" is, really pays off in ways you hadn't thought of... It's also another set of the right eyes on the place when you aren't around. And who knows, you may have some kid come by and get interested in glass.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:26 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Hi Patrick,
thanks for the advice. Im not moving into a new neighborhood though.. the new place is just 3 blocks down the street from my old place.

I'll get this fan situation figured out...