CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Rich Simmons is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenbaum View Post
Wow, 6 posts and you are slamming the moderator!
You need to start to understand Pete's responses. 23 responses and the topic hasn't completely gone off the rails, that is unusual. Tangents and rabbit holes are very common here.
Yes, I guess so. My secret decoder ring hasn't showed up yet.

It's funny, I was sitting around talking to a host of people at the LaGare during GAS and everyone said I should join CraftWEB, but they all said the same thing - Be careful they're are all pretty brutal on that site.

Consider this a noob's perspective to the - site, and I really don't want to stir up $&|+. I'm not a noob to glass though, I started in the 70's so I've been around and seen it all.

Pete and Mark, Sorry we got off on the wrong foot.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:04 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Stick around, share and enjoy, there is a ton of info here. You will find that there are MANY personalities here, some of us have been working with the goo a long time. You'll get used to us (well, maybe not all of us )
Old 08-15-2018, 02:10 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I don't think craftweb is brutal at all and I would wonder what examples you were given. The only thing I really tend to get my hackles up over is fraudulent information, particularly the promises of groundbreaking equipment for sale. That stuff I indeed can be hard on since there are people here with a wide range of experience who may fall for a con job and there are more than a few.

Craftweb has helped sell equipment for a lot of people, no charge.

I do think Craftweb is really honest and its members consistently call a spade a spade. The current crisis over cullet is , I think an excellent example of that and as to shortage, I suggested it was coming over six months ago despite the manufacturers assurances. Got cullet?

Craftweb has also been honest in documented the effects of Boron on fireclays and silicates despite manufacturers insistence that the dissolution problems came from other materials.

Craftweb has been brutally honest in its assessments of national shows.

Craftweb even assaulted "Sacred Geometry" , taking on the church.

It's a tough crowd sometimes, almost always a supportive one. I've been running it for about 17 years now.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:29 PM
The Old Gaffer

I go back to google and under the goldstone bit it says "
:Goldstone is a type of glittering glass made in a low-oxygen reducing atmosphere. The finished ... Another common name for the material is aventurine glass, based on the original Italian name avventurina ... "
It's more than a common name, it's the real name. Up until quite recently, goldstone was not a term I had ever heard. I do take note that most of the samples of blown or formed glass using the name "Aventurine" are Murano vases in either the copper or gold forms. Under the goldstone listing for the wikipedia stuff are entirely photos of ground and polished chunks of the stuff.

So, I'm far from convinced. The chemist in me tells me that copper aventurine could have just the right amount of cobalt added to make it look sort of purple but that would be where I'd be inclined to stop. You can't add copper since it's already making the gold tone. Again, it might be feasible to make both a gold or a silver aventurine but would really be cost prohibitive.

This goldstone search never used to come up and I am suspicious that sufficient google hits based on a branded marketed item have pushed it to the top of the pile. That does not mean much.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM
(((0)))

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Trulson View Post
...two somewhat confusingly titled wiki articles:

Wikipedia article on aventurine glass (this is the one we care about):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldstone_(glass)

Wikipedia article on the quartz mineral aventurine (shiny, but not relevant to the discussion here):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aventurine
It is my somewhat informed opinion that much of the confusion/disagreement can be attributed to semantics. I find this statement to be noteworthy:

"Curiously, "aventurine" glass is one of the few synthetic simulants to provide the eponym for the similar natural stones. The mineral name "aventurine" is used for forms of feldspar or quartz with mica inclusions that give a similar glittering appearance; the technical term for this optical phenomenon, "aventurescence", is also derived from the same source."

If you take some time to ponder how often we use mineral and precious stone terminology to describe the characteristics of glass you may see how this is significant.

How did we get the word "crystal"?

I'm no expert, but I have spent some time studying how glass has been used in the past to mimic other materials. "Goldstone" or "Aventurine" flips that on its head.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:49 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Vriethoff View Post

How did we get the word "crystal"?
That was Johnny Storm's girlfriend's name in the Fantastic Four comic books circa 1969. Everyone knows that. Recall, The Creature from the Black Lagoon issue. Tragic.

(Thank you Greg, What you wrote holds pearls of wisdom.)... wait! Pearls?
Old 08-15-2018, 02:52 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenbaum View Post
, some of us have been working with the goo a long time. You'll get used to us (well, maybe not all of us )
You may use "goo" but those of us who are refined and sophisticated work with "Goop"
Old 08-15-2018, 03:01 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
You may use "goo" but those of us who are refined and sophisticated work with "Goop"
Vase/vase, Goo/Goop, it's just someone's interpretation
Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Damn, I was just curious. Had never heard of purple, wondered if it was one of those unicorns lurking in the periodic zoo.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Rich Simmons is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
Damn, I was just curious. Had never heard of purple, wondered if it was one of those unicorns lurking in the periodic zoo.
Art and Eben - If you want a chunk of what I have, send me a private message and I'll send you a piece to play with. As I said though, not much bling.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Simmons View Post
Art and Eben - If you want a chunk of what I have, send me a private message and I'll send you a piece to play with. As I said though, not much bling.
Cool! Thanks! I will send you a pm now...