CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 08-27-2018, 05:00 PM

Joe Pfeifer is on a distinguished road
208V-3 Phase / 240V-1 Phase Kilns (Revisisited)

I've read through some of the past postings, and still have a few questions:

I have at my shop only 208V Three Phase power. I have a couple of casting kilns that are rated for 240V Single Phase at 45 Amps. Has anyone had any actual experience using a kiln like this:

1: As-is, on 208V If so, how much more time does it take to get to temperature? Do you have to reprogram the controller? Do you need to open the controller, and rewire the controller on it's separate 120V power?

2. Anyone have a good experience using a Buck Transformer in this situation? If so teach me please!

3. Anyone here remove the elements, cut them down for 208V?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2018, 05:17 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
1. If you plug it right into 208 you'll only be getting 75% of the power you had with 240v. Only you will be able to guess how long it will take. You haven't provided any construction data for the kiln. You should not need to reprogram the controller. Most controllers will accept 120-240v AC power inputs but you will need to check the controller specs. Some run on DC.

2. and 3. Best to just get a new set of elements rewound to your voltage.

If your elements are in sets of threes you can use the 3 phase, which is a different set of calculations, otherwise, you can pull 208 single phase out of the panel. If you don't have someone to help the latter option might be easiest.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:48 AM

Rick Wilton is on a distinguished road
I had to add an extra element to my big kiln when I moved it into a shop with 3 phase 208v power. It would still get to top temp but was just too slow for my liking. I was getting devit issues when fusing some projects. You can rewire the kiln with all new elements that are rated for 208, add another element or just run with it. It's not going to harm your kiln running with less power.