CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-27-2022, 09:08 AM

Drew Hine is on a distinguished road
Corning Batch

Hello, I am considering switching from spruce pine batch to Corning batch. Spruce pine has just become too expensive. Does anyone out there melt the Corning batch? I am just wondering what people think or if there are any compatibility issues with reichenbach colors. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2022, 10:10 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Here's a thread I remembered from a few years back. If he's still selling that maybe watch out for the soda bloom, and the fluorine especially if you melt in an electric.

http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread....rning+batch%22
Old 09-27-2022, 10:50 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I was going to refer to the exact same damning thread that Josh was. There are numerous other people who have had seriously low opinions of the company and they could be found most likely using the search engine.

If you want a clear that I think costs less ( I don't know that but it should) you could have them mix the VDL Clear that I wrote for SP a number of years ago. It comes as a snowflake version. It does not contain any lithium which was part of the directive at the time. It is a very easy melting clear, it's dead on 96 and sits on the SP specs in every way. It does NOT devitrify. It has a far higher luster. It polishes much better than SP. John Croucher sang high praises of it when he was still alive. I use it whenever I melt.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:43 AM

Drew Hine is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys for the link. Saving a few dollars does not seem worth the hassle of remaking work for customers. I called Spruce Pine to ask about the VDL snowflake batch. It is the same cost as the spruce pine plain batch.
I like Josh's idea of a class for clear batch. If you run it I can fill two spots in the class.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:50 AM
The Old Gaffer

I don't have the facility I had when I ran the last color classes almost ten years ago. I could certainly lecture on the subject. I could potentially do a class at Penland as a possibility that could include melts. I'm an old guy now without the requisite energy to take on the physical aspects of lugging stuff around.

I am not surprised about the pricing of the clear. Back when I wrote the formula, Tom didn't like it because it did not cost less than the existing SP87. So, now, it apparently has the same price as the stuff with lithium but I am guessing, no erbium. The expense in my glass that was notable is potassium. It isn't that prohibitive to use as to costs.

It's a great glass, again, it doesn't devitrify and has luster. It's very nice to work as well. Better stuff. I don't get rich off of it, that's for sure.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:28 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
This has me wondering about any batch that doesn't get pelletized, including my own homemade mixes here. I've been mixing about 50lbs. of ingredients that are just about all powder consistency, the afternoon before throwing it all into the furnace. This melt I just did yesterday, I'd mixed two days ahead of time but was concerned that things may have "settled" with that extra time lag so I tumbled everything around in the mixer again for 15 min. before charging. But is this a valid concern? I do usually melt everything that's in my mixer, so maybe that helps, but makes me wonder what might be an issue if I bought some really well-mixed stuff from SP but it was hanging out in a bag for a couple months until I get to it and then maybe I don't even use the whole bag for the last charge. The pelletized stuff seems like it would help keep ingredients from separating, although I realize SP can vary on how consistently it's pelletized. Glasma is super evenly pelletized from what I've seen of it.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:44 PM
The Old Gaffer

I had mine mixed as a snowflake so that it would not be very dusty and would not be likely to clump up.

That being said, if I have batch lying around in a bucket, that can occur for a half year. I take it and screen it again. Then it goes in the pot with no issues. I've never encountered the notion of re-segregation of materials. I've read about it but have never seen it once.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:38 AM

Richard Huntrods is on a distinguished road
I melt SP batch. Some of my bags have been sitting in a dry shed for years. They are like set concrete when you first pick them up. However, if you drop the bags from 3-4ft a couple of times on concrete, it becomes pretty loose again (no big chunks).

At least that has been my experience. I've been melting like that for years now with no issues.

The biggest reason I want to break it up is so it scoops easily into my wire furnace. If I had a larger furnace I'd just throw the chunks in. Furnace heat has a way of turning even the big lumps of batch into nice glass.

Now, disclaimer: My batch does NOT get wet and the bags are not compromised. The hardening is probably due to settling because it breaks up again so nicely.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:58 PM

Rich Arentzen is on a distinguished road
Run Away

I have never been treated as poorly by anyone in the industry.

Rich
Old 09-30-2022, 05:47 PM
The Old Gaffer

Jeez.. I mean ouch..!
Old 10-03-2022, 09:06 PM

Franklin Sankar is on a distinguished road
Ok what is snowflake
Old 10-04-2022, 07:11 AM
The Old Gaffer

Nominally, when Spruce Pine is mixed, a certain amount of water is added to the mixer which really knocks the dust down. After the mix, it goes to what is called the agglomerator where water is misted onto that batch and then it goes through a fitting that looks a lot like the sausage maker on a kitchen aide mixer. It then gets rapidly dried and into bags it goes, sewn up and on their way to you. That watering depends on temperature, humidity and timing to dance between brick like things when it doesn't dry enough prior to bagging or does not get enough water.

On European batches, instead of water, they use sodium silicate solution. That requires a recalculation of the batch for both sodium and silica contents. I don't know what stage they add it to the mix. If it was in the initial mix and dried, it would be hell to clean the fins. I have no idea what either Corning batch or East bay batch does. I don't think East bay does anything.

Mine does not go through the agglomerator currently. I prefer a fine-grained batch that can be colored easily. But given how people complain about dust now, it's hard to imagine they would like the snowflake much. It would need the loving touch of agglomeration for most people.

Unless of course you live in Trinidad.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:57 AM

Franklin Sankar is on a distinguished road
I am glad I asked. Glass continues to keep it mysterious nature.
Thanks
Franklin
Old 10-04-2022, 12:12 PM

Kevin McLeod is on a distinguished road
I spent some time in Corning this weekend and met up with a friend who works at Vitrix. Apparently they use Corning Batch, and haven't had any significant issues with it over the last few years. They melt the clear as well as a white and one other color (blue maybe?). They said the white is extremely hard to work, and slightly off COE, but the clear is quite nice for the work they do and has no compatibility issues. I do not know if that is the same formula clear that there were problems reported with in the thread above.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:20 PM

Scott Dunahee is on a distinguished road
Wait. They're melting a white from batch. And it is "slightly incompatible." And they keep paying for the batch and melting it? What a world.

BSD
Old 10-07-2022, 07:13 AM
The Old Gaffer

Think about it. It has always been "slightly incompatible. That's always been the case with the color available and the clear glasses offered. Work holds together until you diamond saw it for most of the colors.
Once the surface tension of the glass laminate is punched, it frequently cracks, more often than not.
If you are melting batch glasses you can do something about it, it you use a commercial cullet and commercial cullet, it is what it is. I will be running tests with my clear and reichenbach colors. My clear absolutely sits on the SP87 expansion and has very little variance when it comes to viscosity. So, it should be the case that if it fit SP87, it will fit VDL, or VAN, or wondergoop, whatever it gets called.
The bright reds and yellows from the Germans will always be an issue since they contain no lead. Croucher had worked around that with some no lead rod but I have no idea if it will be produced at all. Everyone knows there's a severe color shortage right now and it will not get better anytime soon. Spruce Pine still has a lot of color. They're the only ones.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:12 AM

Scott Dunahee is on a distinguished road
Right. But if you're getting the two batches from the same supplier... and that supplier is the manufacturer... I fell like maybe, just maybe, the white could be adjusted so it is fully spot on compatible with their own clear...

I'm far removed from the glass world now and honestly can't see how it'll continue. It's a beautiful art form and allows one to make very pretty things that no one NEEDS. At a very high energy cost.

BSD
Old 10-07-2022, 10:12 PM
The Old Gaffer

well, I suppose you have a point. Yep, sure do, a big one..