CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 09-10-2022, 01:25 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Unelko as a sealant

Deep in the archives was a thread on sealing sandblasted surfaces and a "page not found" when I tried the link in that thread. So, I have relocated Unelko and can't quite figure out which product was being reffered to. The thread said "clear glass gel" and David Patchen was using it as were a few others. It's not particularly cheap but not super expensive but it would help to not waste money on such stuff. Liquid Luster is really expensive and I would like to not spend a ton of cash.

https://store.cleanxproducts.com/pro...t-3-pack-combo
or,

https://unelko.com/
Old 09-10-2022, 03:00 PM

David Hopman is on a distinguished road
It is the Clean Shield Gel. They have discontinued it, but they still had cases in the warehouse and by calling them I was still able to order it. No idea if they have run out by now.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:30 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
I used it years ago but didn't love that it seemed to stay greasy for a long time after applying. I've been using a spray can of Thompsons water seal lately and do prefer that. Liquid Luster, which I used for years and years, drove me nuts on opaque or black surfaces where it showed any and all streaks from applying it. And the steep upcharge on what is probably just grout sealant? bothered me.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:37 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
I used it years ago but didn't love that it seemed to stay greasy for a long time after applying. I've been using a spray can of Thompsons water seal lately and do prefer that. Liquid Luster, which I used for years and years, drove me nuts on opaque or black surfaces where it showed any and all streaks from applying it. And the steep upcharge on what is probably just grout sealant? bothered me.
I would love further input. I'm back in the archives digging at material that is twenty some years old. I want to bring some stuff into the modern age to see how it weathered.
Kathleen has indicated that it's time to change hands here and we have to work out some gory details. We first crossed paths in a craftweb crisis before the turn of the century. Simply put, we trusted each other. We've never met/ We seem to keep on trusting each other but it's time to pass the baton.

George Fenton of Fenton Glass and The Fenton foundation called me last year and asked how I would like to see worthy causes supported that might affect success for studios in the future. Craftweb has about 120,000 posts on various subjects over the decades. I will submit a final proposal to George for his board which attempts to break out the task into manageable bites. If the board accepts it which appears to be likely, I anticipate it taking a year to do the extraction and then the process for turning what is there into a book. It would not be the same as Glassnotes but far more of a nuts and bolts of what works, glass bodies, formulations, polishing processes etc. Even deciding what subjects to initially categorize is hard.

There are a lot of "Page not Found" references out there. This one on surface treatment is a case in point. Of course the product is no longer made. It worked. See Mono-T Nine. See Rodel pads.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:14 AM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you may need a Special Master.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:40 AM

George Vidas is on a distinguished road
if this is the post that started you on this journey:

http://talk.craftweb.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=18

I think this a 2012 archive of the product that David Hopman linked to--

https://web.archive.org/web/20121006...6&cat=0&page=1
Old 09-11-2022, 11:54 AM
The Old Gaffer

It was indeed but the links provided no longer functioned. The wayback machine is a handy tool. Then it appears that the specific product is no longer sold either.

This whole process will be putting posts with substantial commonality over the years in their own buckets. Some buckets won't be hard and some things won't find a bucket at all.

Initially this will get treated like a library with 120,000 posts. Once the library is in order which will take a long time, then it can be seined for specific materials and relevance. It may or may not produce a hardcopy book. I simply don't know. I think it will take a variety of approaches with the goal of pushing forward ways that Craftweb users used over 25 years or so. Many have passed away but leave their thoughts behind. Initially, the goal is to keep the data base secure. That's not as simple as it might sound.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:52 AM

Tom Bloyd is on a distinguished road
I've heard talk of a stone sealer but not sure on brand. Maybe someone out there knows and will read this
Old 09-12-2022, 04:54 PM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
I've given up on anything that seals and dries. Here's all I've tried and notes:
  • Clean Shield gel - was good but too matte for me if I remember correctly.
  • Liquid Lustre - As Josh mentioned it's nice but tricky to apply evenly to dark stuff, yellows and costs $$ and often goes bad in the can.
  • Armour All - is nice but has that aroma, needs to be refreshed and then you have to tell your client to rub car tire stuff on your glass; awkward.
  • Axle grease - The Italian's preference. Looks good, but is slippery, transfers a bit to your hands and attracts dust.
  • Acid etch - messy and potentially dangerous, hard to get an even result.
  • Mineral oil - my current preference. Looks great, a little slippery, must be refreshed but easy to get and easy to apply.

That said, I don't sandblast and coat much work anymore. PITA.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:29 PM
The Old Gaffer

I liked the notion of giving the surface a 400 grit sandpaper brushing and then going after it. I also the notion of going to places that deal in stone treatment.

I have to wonder if a walnut shell treatment in a blaster would help after the basic grit.

In the last work I did, it was astounding to see what sandblasting the surface and then treating it with just baby oil did for it. I was working a silver glass- all silver no clear at all and overlaying silver murrini, threads of silver, all sorts of shit. It did not show anything until the blasting exposed it all and we were looking at individual chromophores of color in the surface. Simply put, we never would have seen them and they are gorgeous.

So of course they didn't sell. Then I stopped. I hate selling this stuff.
Old 09-13-2022, 09:03 AM

Kenny Pieper is on a distinguished road
My own two cents.

I think anything applied to the surface is going to be quite temporary.
When I first tried to make a satin surface on glass I would sand blast it first and then coat it with armour all. Like David said it does not last long and then I had to try to find a way for instructions on how to treat it again followed the piece around. Not very piratical.
Now I use acid after sandblasting. It can be time consuming if the whole surface is not being treated but it looks the best to me and will last forever. Well sort of. I suppose it depends on the durability of the glass.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:02 AM
The Old Gaffer

way back when, I used to etch the surface of my sandblasted work using a bath laced with ammonium bifluoride. It did indeed etch and was in my mind somewhat less life threatening.
I stopped using it when I wanted to neutralize the slop in the booth, and I added some soda ash. It about jumped out of the booth at me. I've not messed with acid since. That was around 1987.