CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 PM
rEgisturd Spelunker

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Kugler cullet

First announcement I've seen. Not much info (none other than what you see in the image).

I don't see any info on their website.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 11.27.58 PM.jpg
Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 AM

Pringle Teetor is on a distinguished road
I was just going to post the same thing. I can’t find anything on the web either. Pete, you have you ear to the glass cullet knowledge, do you know anything? Or anything you can talk about yet?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
It is coming and I think it will be problematic just based on the size of the things. About the size of a snickers bar, they will most likely explode in the furnace, not a good thing at all for the wire furnace people. That's my opinion. I am aware of testing going on.
Cheyenne asked me my opinion of the cullet scene yesterday and it took a full single spaced page to express it. Fundamentally, importing cullet from Europe is nuts. Without naming the various supplicants, you are going to see expensive stuff. I saw the number $2.00 lb actually being paid.

The trouble I see regardless of price is that none of the cullet makers can meet the weekly demand for the stuff. Tooling up is remarkably expensive and anyone who does that could be knocked out of the competition by yet another startup with better field position. That makes for a scary scenario and invites the notion of a balkanized cullet industry with a variety of manufacturers trying to sell their stuff. That will make for a variety of different cullets, all unhappy with commingling in the furnace with a different glass.
But Kugler is coming, Parriot is coming, cristalica is here and unavailable, gaffer so far is not in, Spruce pine is not in, Oceanside is not in, and there are others. Not a one can meet demand.

The best bet out there is Spruce Pine 87 batch with Erbium snowflake version and today, I believe Olympic Color is their best customer. I melted my formula in the snowflake that SP mixes for me and they mix it better than I can. Talk about easy melting bright high luster long working 96 glass. You need a respirator.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
speaking of SP 87, spruce Pine just sourced out a new silica source and lime source that is a higher quality and the same price as the old stuff. The result is a product that is the equivelant of their Texas sand premium batch and will stay the same price as the regular SP 87 w/Erbium.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:41 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Technical issues aside I agree on the quote "none of the cullet makers can meet the weekly demand for the stuff" however, I think that if there are 3-4 groups in the market together they may meet demand. The question is that given the market can 3-4 suppliers stay in an optimal size range for their product line.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:26 PM
The Old Gaffer

there well may be 3-4 but part of my point is that it would suggest that each studio commit to a specific cullet. I doubt that there will be seamless cordfree compatibility between the variety of products. I suspect it will be quite the opposite. I already experienced difficulty in our crucible if one tried to put Cristalica on top of any other glass. It wasn't a problem that was inclined to go away. So that headache comes down to the studio.

Now it may become the case that a specific geographical area could try to use a specific cullet. That could happen if say, Spruce Pine had a local grown cullet made with bags of Spruce Pine. There would be an attraction to that. I can conceive of someone doing that getting SP batch in the NW but I can't conceive of that working using cullets imported from Germany. Further the German issue still doesn't address the expansions and viscosities of those foreign cullets. Further, if cullet making is balkanized, converting the melt to a usable cullet takes tooling. It will not go well for anyone tempted to put the product in cold water. Have fun fining that stuff out. The whole venture involves tools that are not cheap. Efficiency suggest that the melters be five tons . It also says "Don't turn it off, or up or down. Melt glass". I can visualize one ton melters on the short term. Those puppies are expensive.
And lastly,final pricing. It will not be cheap, no where no how. The smaller the individual markets become will dictate higher prices all by themselves because the manufacturers won't have a volume advantage buying bulk chemicals.

I don't think that the high end glass makers will really be affected by price. If their work costs a lot of money, it won't matter if the individual piece price goes up a couple bucks. It will really affect studios that make widgets and use 25 tons a year.

There's a lot to be said for the obvious: Melt SP87 snowflake.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:31 PM
Dan Vanantwerp

lithium

I melted some of a recent order of SP87 snowflake. I forgot about the work time of SP...wow. The cost though is Lithium. I just can't believe the stuff is 1% lithium. Can this remain a viable option? Eben, do you worry about this?

I have to wonder if all that lithium allows a guy like Lynn (Brossphate thread) to melt a SP87 based opal phosphate in the presence of so much calcium.

I tried a clear batch on my own but compared to Cristalica the clarity was underwhelming. I had visions of myself endlessly tweaking recipes to find something comparable. But one has to remind themselves that the goal is actually blowing glass. I kind of hate my options right now.

Will Kugler clear be lead-based to more easily match everything...seems Pete V sees this as their compatibility strategy.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Sam Stang is on a distinguished road
Wow, there’s a lot of drama here on this one. I certainly agree with Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig. “Why not just do Glasma and be done with it”.
Ok, be nice to each other.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:27 PM
The Old Gaffer

GLASMA is nice stuff but it requires operator experience to use it Sam. No one puts a lot of stock in experience anymore.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Any batch requires operator experience, Peter. I happen to think that Glasma is easier to deal with than Spruce. And it melts at a much lower temperature which translates to energy savings and significantly longer furnace/crucible life. I don't like the fact that it is shipped from overseas. I wish there was an equivalent, locally made product.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:07 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stang View Post
Any batch requires operator experience, Peter. I happen to think that Glasma is easier to deal with than Spruce. And it melts at a much lower temperature which translates to energy savings and significantly longer furnace/crucible life. I don't like the fact that it is shipped from overseas. I wish there was an equivalent, locally made product.
Doesn’t it take you 2 days to fill your pot though?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:04 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stang View Post
Any batch requires operator experience, Peter. I happen to think that Glasma is easier to deal with than Spruce.
In my experience, the higher barium content doesn't play well with alumina refractories and throws stones when run too hot. I don't know the other content fluxing it may have. It shows no evidence of boron physically. I do think it's a beautiful glass. Perhaps it has lithium, I simply don't know. It is a good deal more expensive than Spruce Pine but so is my formula.

If any decent stateside cullet maker came along making a batch glass into cullet that had good working properties, it would knock all of these products off the market. It would take a minimum of a half million dollars to do it initially, likely more. Importing cullet or batch from Europe is not a sane proposition.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Eben, I fill my furnace over the weekend at around 1950f when I have both furnaces running. This allows me to have it on high fire for a shorter period of time to cook it. When I don't have my other furnace on, I start the charge after work and fill it and cook it the next day. It doesn't have any effect on the glass quality. It just means that I have it on high fire for a long time to do the melt.

Peter, the stone issue that you mention is not a valid point in my experience and I have melted a lot of it over the years. I have never heard of this from anyone else either. I feel that a person would have to try fairly hard to have that happen. And the price issue is insignificant. I believe that the energy savings and longer crucible life with Glasma more than make up for it. If I didn't know better, I would be melting Spruce. And if there was a cullet that gave me the quality that I need for my work, I would be melting that.