CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Taking glass blowing tools on airlines?

The last and only time I travelled on an airline with some tools, I was going to Pilchuck 18 years ago, and I tried to carry some hand tools onboard with me. I even had a ziplock of enamel white powder in that case. Needless to say they didn't like me attempting to take that on board, and asked me to check all of it under the plane. That was before 9/11 and all..

I'm going to Japan to do some demos next month and will be taking hand tools. With the assumption that security definitely will open and inspect the container in which I have the tools, any recommendations for packing these so they could be cushioned from damage but still easily viewed by TSA types with minimal disruption to how I packed them?

Thanks in advance,
Old 11-14-2017, 07:33 PM
I am a cog

Mike McCain is on a distinguished road
Leave it to a Glassblower to try and board a flight with bags of white powder and a bunch of things that look like knives... and do it with a straight face.
When I moved out to Maui, I had USPS ship my tools and materials. They showed up fine.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:44 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Clean pizza box with bubble wrap on the top of your clothes in the suitcase. If the box is too big cut it down and make it fit. Only think I think may not fit that is a sophie.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
Coming back from Venice years ago with tools in my carry-on. They made me go out to the plane on the tarmac and put them in my stowed luggage.
My Italian was not up to the task of explaining why I was carrying these long pointy things.

Josh- how about an aluminum case with fitted foam compartments? And a handcuff attached to the handle?
Think about your image...
Old 11-15-2017, 08:44 AM

Travis Frink is on a distinguished road
The best I idea I've see was from a guy who brought tools here from the US. He printed out the explanations and pictures from Jim Moore's website and glued/taped them to the outside of the case they were in. This was a couple years after 9/11, at the height of the "They're Coming to get us" panic. He had no problems coming here. Don't know what happened on the return trip. The Japanese immigration/customs should not give you any trouble. Just tell them you are a "Glass ARTIST". They still respect artists here even if they're not well paid. It's the guys on that side of the pond that will probably give you the most problems.

Oh yeah, put everything in your checked luggage and get travelers' insurance. Unfortunately I seem to use it every trip to the US. If anything gets lost, you should get a new one paid for and Kenji Ito should be able to arrange for everything in the meanwhile. Wish I had time to go to Tokyo to hang out but my busy season only seems to end when I don't want it to....
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Part of the Problem

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Frink View Post
...the height of the "They're Coming to get us" panic.
Trump has us soaring even higher now.

I did a kiln casting workshop in Pennsylvania a couple years ago. Domestic flight from Charlotte. I shipped stuff back that I couldn't fit in my bags. My checked bag was searched by TSA on the return flight. I had things like soldering irons and dental picks as well as bags of frit/powder, and some color rods. They left the usual love note. The only bothersome thing was that someone couldn't figure-out how to open the box that contained my clay and wax tools, so they just tore the side open. TSA does random checks of all baggage.

Moral of the story: make sure whatever you have in there can be accessed easily (someone may have said this already).
Old 11-15-2017, 02:29 PM

David Hopman is on a distinguished road
We had a pair of jewelry pliers with jaws that are 1/4" long confiscated by TSA. The woman behind us had 14" knitting needles. They were allowed because knitting needles are listed as allowed. I wouldn't try to take any glassblowing tool in carry-on.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 AM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
I've always packed my glass tools in a decent tool wrap to keep them from rattling around and put them in checked luggage. I put a note right inside the bag that says: "TSA, these are glassblowing tools, please treat as fragile" and a reprint of an article about my work as evidence I'm legit. I've always had the bag inspected (as evidenced by the TSA tag they leave) but never a problem. I've shipped huge tags that look like swords, all manner of large tweezers and jacks, bags full of murrine, etc. No problem at all.

I hope you're thinking about what tools you're going to bring *back* from Japan. If you don't have anything from Maruko, I highly recommend his tweezers, diamonds and jacks. Happy to share which ones I have and why I like them...
Old 11-16-2017, 07:15 PM

Barb Sanderson is on a distinguished road
I used to blow alot of glass on copper tubing. TSA wouldn't let me on board with a copper tubing cutter! What kind of damage could a terrorist do with a tubing cutter???
Barb
Old 11-16-2017, 07:15 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Off with their fingers!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 PM

Robert Gary Parkes is on a distinguished road
Be prepared to have your private areas searched in a little room
by a nasty band of brothers who are "only doing their job"
The proceed to the radiation bombardment chamber for a little afterglow and a look into the very core of your being..
after answering a slew of moronic questions you will be allowed through
with a red flag on your file for the rest of your life..
Or you can just come up to Canada..where they will yawn and wave you in..
Old 11-17-2017, 01:27 AM

Miles Koester is on a distinguished road
Throw em in checked baggage and hope for the best
Old 11-17-2017, 10:17 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Always buy brand new tools wherever you go and then throw them in a dumpster when you finish up, or don't ever travel.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
In 1993 after attending a class with rob levin at Penland, I boarded a delta flight from Charlotte airport to Providence with a 3 foot long glass sword that I had made. Honest to god.... ha! Man how times have changed..
Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
Had a coworker, who liked the bolt patterns on the cockpit door. Upon landing, she took a photo, two and a half hours later, the Air Marshals let her leave the airport.