CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Schools & Books & Video links

Old 06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
www.artistadams.com

Alexander Adams is on a distinguished road
I'm just trying to educate the consumer. Unlike food, clothes or bedding, a university doesn't have to list their ingredients, but they should. Because unlike a $5 jar of peanutbutter, a degree is considerably more expensive.

An MFA is nothing more than an investment to teach at the university level and possibly a chance to get a booster shot of "critical thinking". If the program is good, a grad student can get experience teaching. With the trend to populate schools with cheap adjunct instructors, teaching experience is rare.

What kind of precident is set when a MFA Degree in 2D Art and very little training allows one to become tenured in a 3D material practice? The investment of obtaining/earning an MFA in Glass in order to teach is a poor one. Furthermore, if the head of the program isn't connected to the glass world, academic, studio or art worlds, a student's network pool is severely handicapped.

As an alum, I am deeply disappointed in the administration at Tyler School of Art/Temple University's decision to place an unqualified person in charge of the glass program. At this point, the dept is coasting on shiny new equipment and a good reputation built by Jon Clark. Luckily, I got out before the walls caved in.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Andrew Brott is on a distinguished road
Alexander,
best of luck to you- life is what you make of it...
And if it not for an oil spill I never would have re-opened (or cared) for a 5+ year old topic...
As an unqualified outsider (www.brottworks.com)to your world, I politely ask for you to get off the tenure track pace of life and unchain yourself from politics.
Please go here: http://www.healthygulf.org/
and take all your passion towards a better end.
We need your help
Best and thanks,
Andy Brott
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM
www.artistadams.com

1. This thread is "College Glass Programs" and has nothing to do with oil.
2. You are not the head of a Glass Program at a University and this being so, I never stated that you were unqualified.
3. Andrew, you are part of the glass world, nor is it mine to posses. I never claimed otherwise.
4. If you don't like the discourse, don't read it or respond to it.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
It seems that she has a piece in the Corning Museum collection, and she was in the New Glass Review twice, so she must have some knowledge of the material...it also seems that you (Alex) were her TA at Tyler. Her CV is easily found on-line. So I'm going to ask the question (which I might regret) were you passed over for the job? I ask this not maliciously, but out of curiosity. I have a BFA from Tyler and I can't see Jon walking away from his program and leaving it in the shambles that you write about. There is a back-story here that I am not privy to.....
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM

The joys of Academics... Alex if you own anything, I hope you have a PLUP in place- and thank you for reaffirming my decision not to pursue an MFA. Years ago, I had thought this lack of a terminal degree would hurt my career . I was wrong, it would have suffered if i had chosen that path- as I burned out on teaching, and got a great education in the private sector. Thankfully my world does not care what of degree you have, it's your work that counts.
That said, I know craft without theory, is just is just an object and my work depends on research and or science of design. I greatly respect Jon Clark, Mark, Peter V. etc... and hope you will lear to see beyond petty politics.

The oil of academics does not mix with the water of the free market, but you can make very good salad dressing with vinegar and oil.
It's just too bad I can't enjoy it on Grand Isle Louisiana anytime soon.
In loving memory of Steve Stormer,
AB
www.brottworks.com
Old 06-28-2010, 07:49 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Brott View Post
and hope you will lear to see beyond petty politics.

www.brottworks.com
There's gotta be a typo in here somewhere.... It's either "leer" or "learn". I think I prefer the first.

Don't get out of hand guys.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM

Todd Nelson is on a distinguished road
Uhh....Anoka Ramsey County Community College...AA not to stop the rant or highjack the thread.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Sy Dowling is on a distinguished road
Southeast colleges

I'm in ga and I know Georgia Southwestern (also called Americus? :I think that's how you spell it has both a bfa and an mfa program. I have been told they have a very open studio as well and believe its a sculpture degree with an emphasis in glass because I know there's only one professor for 3d work. I attended Tennessee technical university which oversees the Appalachian center for crafts under Curtis Brock. I know they have a bfa program and I believe an mfa program as well but I'm not 100% sure on that. Great program though and I learned a tremendous amount the one semester I went. I got a job after that and they pay me to break stuff so it was a wee bit cheaper that way :P. app center is outside cookeville Tennessee and southwestern is in Americus Georgia I suppose....maybe that helps?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 PM

Rob Williams is on a distinguished road
Bsu

Ball State in Muncie, IN also has a BA and MFA in glass.
It is a new studio and pretty nice. Dante was there on Monday doing a lecture and demo. He broke the peice when it got too cold. It was good seeing that it happens to all of us, even on his level.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:51 AM
www.artistadams.com

Brent Cole, the professor at BSU, is a smart guy. I would expect BSU's program to grow and do very well.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 PM

Jeff Mentuck is on a distinguished road
Salem State University

We've got a glass program at Salem State University. Three undergrad classes and one night class each semester. Great studio equipped by HUB. Reasonable coldworking and lampworking stations. The program is seven years old but the University has made a pretty notable commitment by hiring a fulltime studio manager. We'll be offering rental slots to the qualified between semesters. Put us on the list of Up and comers and check us out if your in town for GAS next year!

Jeff
jmentuck@salemstate.edu
Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 PM
The Old Gaffer

You burn witches there for fuel right?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:53 PM

Jeff Mentuck is on a distinguished road
Burn them? They run this town! We love those crazy heathens!

That being said, I am glad October is behind us.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM
The Old Gaffer

Four more days. Go Liz?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 AM

Wink

Quote:
Brent Cole, the professor at BSU, is a smart guy. I would expect BSU's program to grow and do very well.
Brent, his wife Stacey, Eddie Bernard, Adam Ridge, Ryan Blythe, Myself, and so many others all had a wing ding doodle of a good time together (@ least I did...) at the New Orleans School of Glassworks in the mid 90's (can't remember if he was on staff with Jim Mongrain, John Christe, Kate Rhroads, + others), but I do know he has a ton of experience + them smarts...
Most importantly for BSU, he is a grounded and gifted teacher- they will grow and thrive.
Best,
Andy Brott
p.s. Besides he was born on the same day, in the same year (12-18-68), as Me, so he must be be cool;-)....

Last edited by Andrew Brott; 11-02-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM

Mike Hatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
You burn witches there for fuel right?
thanks Pete for starting my day with a laugh