CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Color work from rods and batch glasses

Old 09-19-2022, 10:49 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Sodium nitrate moisture?

I've noticed that the bit of sodium nitrate I've been using in batches leaves everything it touches kind of 'wet'. My screen, the coffee grinder, the vacuum brush attachment, all get wet after touching the stuff. And it doesn't seem to evaporate, at least not quickly. Is it that the stuff is hygroscopic, or perhaps this isn't H2O, but I'd be interesting in knowing more and I'm not seeming to find any specifics otherwise online.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:31 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Soda Bloom is the slang. It's the actual sodium condensing on surfaces. It isn't water at all. I made this stuff back around 1970 that only a mother could love and she did. It had all been etched with potassium nitrate which attacks plate glass pretty readily in a gloryhole. The formula de jour was Gibberson's original which had a staggering 41 lbs of soda ash per 100lbs silica. (plus 6.3 potassium carb and 15.5 hydrated lime) There were more fluxes too.

Mom kept the pieces in plastic bags because they were dissolving, and it was ruining the woodwork.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:33 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Good to know, thanks. I certainly have less fluxes than Dudley did, and alumina in there too, so hoping I'll only ever see this bloom on my tools.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:45 PM
The Old Gaffer

without going off to balance the equation i think something along these lines happens. The Na2N03 combines with ANY atmospheric moisture often being the simple difference between the temperature and the dewpoint and takes water from that source. Then it lets go of nitrogen as N02 and replaces it as Na20H. That may not be the actual formulation, but it gets the drift.

Bags of chemicals are a nuisance sitting on the floor in your shop simply because of the dewpoint differential. Late in the day, the temp swing is quite sufficient to form up an 0H and turns your stuff to bricks. Keep any chemicals on pallets to try to minimize the phenomena. I keep my Potash in Deli cat screw top plastic containers. It works great with potters plaster as well
Deli cat sadly quit making cat food in these indestructible containers but over 20 years, we have tons of them and jeez they are handy. I put all my refractories in them as well. Tightly sealed contractor's bags don't work as well but are better than nothing.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:43 AM
The Old Gaffer

Reviewing an older thread by Rich Arenzen revealed constant blooming based in the batch he had bought. I suggest that anyone interested in that phenomenon use the search engine to locate the thread.

Then, I suggest reading Nick Labino's address to GAS back in 1975. It can be found in antiques and classics. Mark Peiser played with the problem of durability in his class he taught when in Arizona. It was revealing as well. If you have doubts about your glass, weigh a small sample and then put it in water for a week. Then, weigh it again. If you put it in hot water, it will demonstrate what hot glass is doing given the arc of history.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:00 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
In 1675 Kungsholmens glassworks started in Stockholm, they had some issues with glass durability, after that never heard of it
Old 09-24-2022, 03:09 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Also Pete, I believe “hat” glass is dialect
Old 09-24-2022, 05:59 PM
The Old Gaffer

all fixed. I don't like typos at all. Thank you.