CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 03:52 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Switch from the Kugler based sliver to the Gaffer based silver colors. In both cases you will keep your reduction much better. I am only speaking on color reduction here. I absolutely love the K silver green for a couple of specific uses that have nothing to do with the reduction quality.

Over the years I have found that the Dark Silver blue from Kugler keeps the reduction much better than the light silver blue or sliver blue Kugler. I still use it but given the chance I will always go to Gaffer Silver Blue. Silver Green Kugler if in smaller than a f1 will not keep at all most of the time for me. If you just have to have a silver blue from Kugler get the darker one.

The Gaffer analog to these colors works much better. The Shamrock green works the best in the green family at Gaffer. The Green luster is not the most awesome reduction keeper but it is much better than Kugler for your needs. The Silver Blue at gaffer compared to the silver blue of Kuglar for me is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. Just my two empirical cents.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Dumb question: if the annealer was, let's say, 40-60 F high would that allow or promote loss of reduction compared to a setting that was 40-60 too low? Could an annealer be high enough and the timing right where the reduction disappears but the glass hasn't started to slump? Does it make a difference if the piece is in the box all day vs. going in at last minute before starting the ramp down?
Old 12-30-2019, 10:22 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
The dumb question is the one not asked. In theory, yes, a higher temperature would promote reduction loss in an oxidized environment as opposed to a lower temp. The higher the temp the more it is able to respond to environmental changes. I still find it odd that the surface is able to change annealing temperature, if you were losing the reduction by the end of the day, you should be able to just throw a wad of newspaper in at the end and voila, instant reduction. Only thing that seems to actually do is make a mess. I personally haven't noticed a reduction loss based on boxing order. What order you box copper ruby is something else.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:30 PM

Gabriel Greenlaw is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to update folks that might be interested, but I'm starting to setup a pilot light inside a small kiln for some tests to experiment with. Thanks for the all the safety info too. I'd rather not blow up.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:47 PM

Don Burt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Greenlaw View Post
Just wanted to update folks that might be interested, but I'm starting to setup a pilot light inside a small kiln for some tests to experiment with. Thanks for the all the safety info too. I'd rather not blow up.
I'm interested. We hold in common the preference to not blow up. My interest in electric kiln reduction is at low painting temperatures, so I'm hoping the shrapnel will have minimal collateral effect. I'll look forward to seeing your results.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:56 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Shrapnel implies modern art. Something Cubist perhaps?
Old 01-12-2020, 03:44 PM

George Vidas is on a distinguished road
earlier in the thread someone brought up the impact of a reducing atmosphere on element life.

check out table 3 on page 9 (PDF page 11) of the kanthal furnace mini-guide -- http://hitempproducts.thomasnet-navi...c-version-.pdf

glass equipment commonly uses kanthal a-1, so column 1. that table shows max element temp drops from 2550F in oxidizing dry air to 1920F in a reducing atmosphere of 20% CO, 40% H2 40% N2.

that's well below annealing temps, so probably fine. but I notice that it is specifying max element temp, not max oven temp -- if this is a long term thing and you have trouble with element life, maybe you can find a way to run the annealer at 75% of full power to limit the max element temp.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:31 PM

Don Burt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Shrapnel implies modern art. Something Cubist perhaps?
After 100+ years since Picasso and Braque were arguing about it, a glass artist should be able to claim cubism derivation with impunity. But I haven't paid enough attention to the trends to know whether the timing is right. There could be neo-cubists cubing together somewhere, advancing the backstory, and I could be exposed as a clueless wannabe cubist by all the important people. I would need an agent, and kiln repair skills.