CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > Classified Ads/ Opportunities

Old 09-02-2020, 07:11 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
If there is a case for domestic cullet it's shipping. Especially if you can have it produced on both coasts.
I completely agree. Had it not been for the disastrous furnace at Spruce Pine, none of these cullets would even be in America. That being said however, Oceanside has this enormous advantage of melting just on the other side of the border and they don't actually understand the market.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:29 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
I don't know that I'd trust oceanside on cullet right now considering the inconsistencies with the sheet glass. 3mm's been the standard for fusing for a while now, and a lot of what's being produced as "normal" is 2.5 or smaller. May not seem like much, but when you're designing things based on the 6mm rule or with the glass on edge it really screws things up. I realize that it's an entirely different process, but it does reinforce that they don't have a handle on what they're doing nor understand their markets. Also doesn't help that it's still more expensive than the stuff that has to make a transatlantic trip.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:59 AM

Bryson Cutler is on a distinguished road
Eh we're certainly not trying to get into the cullet market.
We have a few pieces that are our bread and butter and we stick to what we know and can reasonably produce at scale.

We do have several cased colors. Each of our primary colors has a cased version which allows us to double our offered colors. The only color we have issues with casing is purple and thats only when its thick glass (typically at the bottom). They arent all as popular as the more vibrant counterparts but they still sell reasonably well.

Our lehr times are 5-6 hours depending on the pieces being produced.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:29 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
I had a feeling that was the case, and I don't blame you for not investing in it. As Pete has said 1000 times, there's no money in cullet under $2/lb. Honestly if you could make that tangerine or paw paw of yours 96 compatible, I bet you'd see major interest. I'd love it as cullet, if I had a pot. If those are some if your cased colors, then it makes it more complicated.

To me it actually means a lot that you bothered to come on here to see if anyone could use it. I know there hasn't been a ton of overlap between factory glass and the rest of us, but I think there's a lot that can be learned from both sides. If oceanside bothered to send a rep to here they might actually get feedback needed to make a killer product.

For the thickness of Blenko pieces I had in mind 5-6 hours seemed short, but looking at your current lineup I'd say it's fair. If it works it works, but some of the stuff is transparent enough that you might be able to a polarizer to see if there is stress.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:17 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I have to assume you don't try to case fluorines Bryson since they along with Cad /Sel reds are the troublesome group for fit and really do need their own base. That being said, IF you were to engineer the reds, or fluorines and kept the cullet, and kept the cullet clean ( lids), you really could sell that cullet easily for at least $1.75lb. I don't know what your circumstances are with the Cad/sel and baghouses at this point. Rick was exciting at times.

Manganese purple should be a relatively easy adjustment to make.