CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 05:46 AM

Joseph Schembri is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys

Hey guys first of all I would like to thank you for all the information and advice that you posted. I just tested my first gloryhole build. I built the square design. It went up to 2250 in half an hour, I reduced the propane and went down to a stable 2100 for the next hour.burner never went up more than 120. I used a kg of propane for one hour (about 130 pence) . It is smoking a bit around the burner, could it be because the door is a bit tight I only have a couple of.mm between the door and face. Although I've got more than 30 years experience in glass it was mostly working cold and a little bit of fusing and slumping. I decided that I want to start blowing, and me doing everything backwards wanted to build my equipment first. Haha studio built, glory hole ready wire melter nearly done and soon to start annealer.
When I get everything ready will get a few lessons and start practicing. Lessons in the uk cost a lot about 250 british pounds a day. That's why I wanted my own equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hole.jpg (82.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 06:59 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
2150F is really cold for getting a gloryhole to do what it needs to do. You won't be able to shape effectively unless it's hotter.

The furnace can be 2150, not the glory hole.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:32 AM

It reached 2250 in about 30 min and I reduced the propane. I'll try it tomorrow and see how high it would go full blast.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:51 AM
The Old Gaffer

Does it have forced air? It really should. The type door you have is just like mine and while it works pretty well when mostly closed, it cools off really quickly when opened more than half. I like it but my work no longer relies on a that late heat. Heat has to be thought of as a lubricant.

The best glassworker over there is in Northern Ireland but he doesn't teach.
Do yourself a favor and cover the castable on the door and anywhere that doesn't get abraded with an inch of fiber. Then rigidize that. It will substantially help performance. Or if you prefer White board. Don't ever cover the steel.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:01 AM
The Old Gaffer

If the door had a bit of a redesign making for a railing at the top for a grooved wheel to track in it, then that steel up there would be recessed from the front plate casting. That's true at the bottom as well. That would allow you to better insulate above and below the door. It adds up. Currently the central posts at the top and bottom won't allow for insulation. It may make a fifty degree difference it temperature. That's a lot.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:04 AM

Yes it does, I'm using a pine ridge burner. I'll cover the door and castable with fibre and see what happens. How hot should the hole be, a lot of guys say the hotter the better.....but what would your recommended temp be?
Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 AM

Not a problem I'll redesign the door
Old 02-21-2020, 08:51 AM
The Old Gaffer

For the lower set of "Rails" on mine, we put a big flat hinged piece on the right that made the door move away from the actual gloryhole as the door tracked left to right. In that case, the roller was attached to the door. As the door moved to the left, the incline on the flat made the door move away from the gloryhole. So, it didn't get stuck. I don't know if your burner was made by Tom Ash or not. Charlie Correll took over making those things when Tom retired.

Temperature with gloryholes does indeed vary depending on what you're making. Really thin wares frequently use a colder gloryhole while big massive stuff requires serious heat. Your skills will also change your needs as you become more facile with the goop. I work well at around 2300F

I don't know if you've ever plastered but beginning folks use a much stiffer mix, just trying to keep it on the wall. As your skills set improves, you prefer a sloppier and wetter mix which allows for far more rapid control. The glass will do that as well.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:48 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Square glory holes are very underrated. They have more surface area to hold more heat when the doors are open.

With a door that slides to one side, make sure you make a yolk with 2 sets of bearings so you can put your pipe on the right set when the door is semi closed
Old 02-21-2020, 10:24 AM
The Old Gaffer

well, the converse of that argument is that they have more surface area that needs to be heated than a round one so it costs more to run. .

I like my square one because it was so easy to build compared to a round one. I just swivel on my existing yoke when the door gets opened. It's not bad.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:24 AM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Well done! I'm not a fan of glory boxes but you gotta start somewhere. Clean the bottom out every morning before you light up. Should last you quite awhile.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:33 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
well, the converse of that argument is that they have more surface area that needs to be heated than a round one so it costs more to run. .

I like my square one because it was so easy to build compared to a round one. I just swivel on my existing yoke when the door gets opened. It's not bad.
Id happily pay an extra $5.00 in gas to be able to make an extra piece with the time saved throughout the day. That logic is why I would never use a fiber glory hole.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:06 AM
The Old Gaffer

that's a different argument. I make that argument constantly about melting your own color. It seems to fall on deaf ears.

I agree about fiber GH's. Even fiber annealers are risky. Combining a brick floor with fiber walls works. White board as the walls works better.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:08 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
What's your thoughts on Skamol? I'm considering it for a small annealer build.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:09 PM

The rails the door is on are adjustable. As the door slides to the left it swings out by about 15 mm. When it closes it only leaves about 2 or 3 mm clearance. I might not have experience in blowing but not bad in fabricating. The glory actually reached 2260 in half an hour. And then reduced the propane as I thought it was enough for a test run. I will try it again tomorrow and see how high it will reach before I put the fibre sheeting.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:29 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
What's your thoughts on Skamol? I'm considering it for a small annealer build.
If I've ever used it, I don't know it by that name. Henry was all hot to trot on it and at one point was trying to be a dealer. At this point I go with what I know.
I want the tool to tolerate 1700F for starters. I don't want it to turn punky after that insult. The white board lasted me ten years in a ridiculous box built out of a stainless dishwasher. Some of the color class students probably remember it. It came across the country with us and was only retired when Eric Trulson built me this nice new one. It's still sitting up in the loft. .

As to the glory hole. I think you need a minimal amount around one inch to make bothering with the fiber worth your time. You sound like you've done well on providing enough BTU's for the area involved. The point of the track and wheel is simply that it cantilevers the door to where your support post won't get in the way of any extra insulation. Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good especially when it's just some old gaffer squalking at you.
The furnace is really the one that takes a great deal of consideration given that it's on all the time. Wire systems are not among my favorites but there's a lot of good stuff on it in the archives. Look out for sacred geometry. Avoid it.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:51 PM

Trade name, it's just vermiculite board. It's supposed to tool nicely and be fine at the temps I'm wanting, that's why I'm interested. Also minimal on the dust end of things.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:46 PM
The Old Gaffer

I did use a vermiculite board I got from Tom at High Temp in Fenton Missouri. It was four inches thick and as I recall the pieces were three feet long. I had a bunch of it. I always love calling Tom to see what he has in salvage. I think I used that stuff on my very first moly as the outer surface. It did vacuum which was nice. I would think it would perform in an annealer but it was so dense that it wouldn't be that great as a hot face insulator. I really like the white board. Expensive though!

I need to build yet another kiln to do these castings in and I want it to be gas, given the terrible rates here for power. So, this is really going back in time to the old downdraft things we used to build out of the Anderson Ranch in the Paul Soldner days.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:05 PM

We'll the idea is buy once, cry once;so I don't have a problem putting money in upfront, if I retain it on the back end. The plan for is for a flame kiln, and then a larger one for powder coating, so max temp is fairly low and really low.

I liked the idea of being able to route the element path, which was why I was leaning toward the vermiculite. Inch of that backed by 2 inches of mineral board.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:18 PM
The Old Gaffer

I do element paths differently. I cut out 1x1 inch strips on the table saw from white board. Then, those are screwed to the white board I've already put up with stainless screws. Two of the strips make a slot and you can't get hurt with touching the slot. Just follow it around until your bloody sick of it. I'd admit the pigtails come out in strange places but that's the way it goes.

I don't have a lot more of these to build Shawn. Not at all.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:53 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
Vermiculite as back up, with a layer of fiberboard inside. Elements suspended in quartz tubing.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:47 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Kremer View Post
Vermiculite as back up, with a layer of fiberboard inside. Elements suspended in quartz tubing.
The elegance of brevity.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:10 AM

Philip Yamron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Everette View Post
Trade name, it's just vermiculite board. It's supposed to tool nicely and be fine at the temps I'm wanting, that's why I'm interested. Also minimal on the dust end of things.
I've been using 1" vermiculite board as the roof of my annealer for about a year now. The rest is brick. It's been great so far. Backed by 2" of frax. No sag or breaking down that I can see.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:52 AM

The quartz is one that I'm less inclined to use. I like having access to the elements. Cost adds up and I'm not really seeing more of a benefit than a grooved path.

Last edited by Shawn Everette; 02-22-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:18 AM
The Old Gaffer

well, with somewhat less brevity, that's why I do it the way you describe. I do think the quartz tubes are safer but that doesn't really bother me at all. It just continually amazes me how long a sheetrock screw will hold up in this environment- just years.