CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 05:26 PM

Dave Lindsay is on a distinguished road
pricing used equipment

I've been trying to sell my studio and gallery as a turnkey package for some time now. At 20K I've had some interest, but no buyers. It's coming time for me to start pricing and trying to sell the hot shop and cold shop equipment as well as the gallery fixtures. Most equipment is 20 years old but well kept. I'm thinking around 20% of what it would cost new. For instance a Somaca 106x4 wet sander sells for around $4500. I'd ask $900. A 24" reciprolap goes for about $2800. I'd ask $500. I'm wondering if some of you have experience in selling as well as buying and if you think 20% of what things would cost new is reasonable? Also, what's been a good way of reaching the glass folks. Of course I don't want to have to ship this stuff, so would need to be picked up in S.F. Bay Area. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Taking everything at 20K and hauling it away still a great deal. Thanks for any help
Old 07-23-2020, 11:06 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry there haven't been any takers on the whole shop setup Dave. It was a a plum deal, I would have loved to see someone move into the space and keep it running.

I think 20% of new is very fair. Good balance between not giving it away but also pricing it to move.

I'd post equipment here on Craftweb, and on the "Glassies" and "GLASS TOOLS & Glass SELL or SEARCH" Facebook groups. Maybe the GAS classifieds too?
Old 07-24-2020, 12:15 PM

Cecil McKenzie is on a distinguished road
Tools like steinert optic molds will probably sell for almost new price unless severely beaten up. Other stuff will depend on how much someone else can use it. The rose reciprolap should be desirable if in good condition. They are a great tool. Good luck. Probably not the best time to be selling stuff. I think Paul Counts has been buying some stuff.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:04 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I'm reminded of the broken chandeliers in the biennial.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:44 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
That's some dead-on accurate imagery, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Scavengers serve a legitimate role in maintaining healthy ecosystems!