CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old Yesterday, 03:07 AM

Jon Myers is on a distinguished road
I really appreciated the curious, no holds barred early days of hot glass forums... I know there is IP that people are worried about but progress is stifled when protection of something that probably doesn't need protection is paramount. I have no idea how that glass is made but I'll bet the fulcrum is in the reduction state of the base glass. If you want to make glass that uses extra reactive metals you need to pay close attention to the position the base holds on the overall oxidation / reduction spectrum. And base glass ph is probably important.
Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM

Jon Myers is on a distinguished road
And you are probably playing in the lower limits of the colorants...
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Pete sells some when you catch him on a good day and he does not have to chomp it up. I am still living off Black from years ago. That stuff goes a long way.

I make some for myself and give chucks away if someone is in the shop but I don't sell it. Most of what I make is what Pete taught me years ago and pretty close to his personal formulas from the class so I tend to protect those as if they are his property and I get to use them for paying to take the class. One day I might have my own perfect custom color that I want to share but right now I am not quite in that spot. I already have two jobs making color glass for sale that I could not support would drive me crazy.

Pete taught me the basics and cut me loose I am currently working out a good transparent orange but just can't quite nail it. Then again I am only on try three at this point and all 3 have been usable if not exactly what I wanted. Ok one was brutal ugly....I admit it. Pete did not include a orange in the class...bummer. Maybe one day I will break down a beg for mercy help but I honestly think I know what to do it is just taking me some time to zero in.

Last edited by Scott Novota; Yesterday at 04:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
Pete sells some when you catch him on a good day and he does not have to chomp it up. I am still living off Black from years ago. That stuff goes a long way.

I make some for myself and give chucks away if someone is in the shop but I don't sell it. Most of what I make is what Pete taught me years ago and pretty close to his personal formulas from the class so I tend to protect those as if they are his property and I get to use them for paying to take the class. One day I might have my own perfect custom color that I want to share but right now I am not quite in that spot. I already have two jobs making a glass that I could not support would drive me crazy.

Pete taught me the basics and cut me loose I am currently working out a good transparent orange but just can't quite nail it. Then again I am only on try three at this point and all 3 have been usable if not exactly what I wanted. He did not include a orange in the class...bummer. Maybe one day I will break down a beg for mercy help but I honestly think I know what to do it is just taking me some time to zero in.
No orange because orange is the color of pumpkins.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Don't tease me Eben…..I have other reasons for orange you can't possibly comprehend(Spoken as Alec Guinness). Well I loved the blood orange Gaffer had that they never made again....for pumpkins. By the way, there is a reason I am talking about blood orange in a luster red thread. cough. cough.

Last edited by Scott Novota; Yesterday at 04:54 PM.