CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-09-2021, 04:49 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
sodium volition

The last year was a blur for me in which I retreated entirely from making glass. The combination of Trump, turning 70, the COVID downturn had me leave the shop.
In that period of time, I never turned off my gas furnace which has a couple of color pots and the 75 lb clear, a pale ghost of how I once worked. It sat, always running, all this time as I rationalized my return. My first Vaccine was scheduled for today and I got it.

Yesterday, I made glass for the first time in all that time. The pot had been half full and it was indeed awkward to do it but I was OK. I'm only writing this to point out the workability of one year old molten glass.

It just about doesn't have any at all.

While it was not difficult to gather at 2085F, it showed itself after being on the punty. It had no fluidity at all. It was as short as Pittsburg plate glass I blew as a young man. You could grab it after a very hot reheat with tweezers and it barely budged. So, now, after the year, I'll throw it out and start over.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:34 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Why keep the furnace running all that time?
Maybe that clear will be something that Kugler's opaque yellow finally fits.

Last edited by Josh Bernbaum; 03-09-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:15 PM

Hugh Jenkins is on a distinguished road
Pete, astounding to me that you would keep it running all that time, but I have to admit that the last year made usual life patterns disappear. We took eight months off from glass, the longest period in 52 years. It has taken time to get used to working again but it isn't the glass, its me. I have said before that I thought I was on my last crucible, but this time I'm pretty sure. I did a really nice melt last night and will keep playing on and off over the next year to see what life gives us after Trump and the Covid. Great not to be consumed by the daily Twitter reports, and somewhat relieved by having gotten the vaccine. I have enough batch for about 20 melts or so. Still get thinking about a miniature recuperation system sometimes. Why? Time will tell.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:13 AM
The Old Gaffer

Days melted into the next day and time went by. I have the farm to care for, the issue of processing 15 cords of wood. A world in disease and a republican party that has gone totally mad leading us to pandemic. I had already purchased 5000 dollars worth of propane futures and so I never saw a bill as time went by.
As fall came on, freezing pipes were a concern and running was an easy fix. Dudley has a small furnace in his shop which serves the same purpose. By Oct, I was getting very inactive just waiting for the election, trnasfixed by the possibilities to come.

But that wasn't the point of this at all. It was the loss of viscosity. I was really impressed by how bad it could actually get. It looks great.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:44 AM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
So you have your thermo couple in the room and the setpoint on 70 right?
Old 03-10-2021, 09:04 AM
The Old Gaffer

It's a warm thing in a sea of frozen things. It's not scientific... With it, the shop is at about 50F. The controllers won't work if it falls below 45F. They're really old, something like me. Some mornings, I flash a bernzomatic torch in the cabinet for them to wake them up. That works. Again not high tech. The diamond saw has an aquarium heater in the water to keep it unfrozen. The grinders really need hot water. I have fans by the furnace.

But that wasn't the point of this at all. It was the lack of viscosity he said, a second time.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:16 AM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
So a new way to make boro glass then? Low temp.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:04 PM
The Old Gaffer

That would be pretty extreme and somewhat slow but I do think I'll measure the linear expansion of the glass. Kind of like making Whisky. Three years in the pot, then finished on a blowpipe at the gloryhole. It needs an ad campaign.