CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-26-2021, 03:58 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Blowers

So lets kill another American myth... bleeding off blowers.

If you have a high pressure blower to a furnace ( you guys with squirrel cages can leave now ) for some reason people think they need to bleed excess air off a blower.
Is it all you old ceramists again? Thinkin wrong?
If you run a blower all out it uses more amps than if you completely cut it off, so bleeding is really silly, the more air the blower hauls the more amps it uses. They

Last edited by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig; 03-26-2021 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Double copied
Old 03-26-2021, 05:51 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I tend to use the ones I find lying around, within reason. ..
Old 03-26-2021, 06:22 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I use a variable speed blower on my furnace Itís amazing.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:43 PM

Marc Carmen is on a distinguished road
Complete Myth. Ive tested the power draw on one of those cheap import grey painted squirrel cage blowers. Heres what the notes sayÖ

1.4 amps with the outlet fully open (168 watts)
1.1 amps with the outlet fully blocked (132 watts)
1.1 amps with the intake gate fully closed

So this also dispels another myth Iíve heard, that you should only throttle the intake opening and not the output. The reasoning was always that the impeller sees less resistance when turning under slight vacuum. Seems to maybe make sense but the numbers donít lie.

I also use a Harbor freight router speed control to vary the speed of the motor. Youíre not supposed to use triac based speed controls with these type motors but it took four or five years to burn out a cheap gloryhole blower. With the speed control dial turned somewhere around halfway, the current draw actually increases to 1.7 amps. The voltage, however, dropped from 120v to 70v. This comes out to 119 watts, slightly under the 132 watts of a fully blocked off outlet. The power savings are negligible but its very convenient to be able to just quickly turn a dial for slight adjustments while blowing.

Squirrel cage guys can come back now.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:04 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
I've wondered about my single-speed blower that I use for my two GH's and pipe warmer. Well, actually it does have a set-screw to adjust speed but I keep it on high because I need all it can put out for my initial light up at high fire. It's a small 110v motor that I think maxes out draw at 400w. But when I turn down once one of the GH's gets fully hot (I rarely use both at the same time here), I'm closing the valves almost all the way on the air piping that this blower is feeding. It's had me wondering if I'm 'taxing' the blower motor any with the back pressure in restricting its output. My last one worked this way for about 9 years. Then it failed. This thread just has me wondering again if I could have gotten more life out of it or not.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:19 PM

[quote=Pete VanderLaan;150336]I tend to use the ones I find lying around, within reason. ..[/ I found a 3 hp blower at a sawmill, it had been used for a timber drying oven , but had stood outside for years, with the port unprotected upwards. I wired it and tested it outside my studio, the housing was half full of water and it shot a 50 ft fountain of rotten leaves and water straight up. It was all cast iron and it served me all the years. Just changing bearings and belts occasionally
Old 03-27-2021, 06:19 PM

400 W blower for 9 years. I wouldnt worry about it, just replace every 9 years
Old 03-27-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig View Post
400 W blower for 9 years. I wouldnt worry about it, just replace every 9 years
If it were less expensive, I'd be fine with replacing every 9 years. But it's 600 bucks ($1100 if you ask the rip-off artists at Grainger). So that has me wondering if I could possibly get more life out of the thing. Still less expensive than many other shop costs, but one less expense would always be nice if possible. For comparison, the motor for my 36" exhaust fan, probably similar price now, is still going strong after 10 plus years. I've heard that if exhaust fans aren't given the proper make-up air volume, those motors can burn out more easily. So again, just wondering if a similar thinking applies to these blower motors, whether the maximum volume is heavily dampered down on the intake (or in my question the output) side of things.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:58 PM

Eeeh thats 66 dollars a year, I think thats known as a piss in the Missisippi?

Last edited by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig; 03-27-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:46 AM
The Old Gaffer

If that's a make or break budget item, the shop is doing something else wrong. I used to figure that an employee needed to bring in an extra 10K per month in revenues to justify them. The shop grossed up to 750K a year.The blower wasn't going to make a difference.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:54 AM

It's not a make or break expense, obviously. Of course it's less than almost all of our other costs involved with melting and working with hot glass. My question has still gone unanswered though. I think I'll call and ask to speak with a tech at the blower company and see what their thoughts are.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:15 PM

If you look at Marcs reply, you have your answer. Blocking or throttling intake or outlet uses less Amps and should cause less wear on your blower .How did it fail after 9 years?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:19 AM
The Old Gaffer

I think the most difficult application of a large blower is that it controls more than one appliance and therefore of necessity has to have excess pressure in its system. We usually kept those things in another room and moved the air through PVC in the actual blowing room.

I would certainly like to have had a blower in my studio where one turns it up or down thereby regulating proper vol and pressure but I never did. They were always quite expensive and it seemed like the money could be used for better projects, like going to the Caribbean.

My paddle blowers certainly always produced more than enough pressure but their downside was noise. Cost of operation was never an issue nor was lifespan. I still have blowers in reserve in the barn loft from back in 1990. While a lot of the tooling saw the prices drop for studio stuff, it's certainly not true of blowers. They're expensive.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:34 PM

how did it fail? i asked
Old 03-30-2021, 06:54 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Our blower has an outside intake, is in an insulated box, and then PVC to the holes and the furnace. Has been running for many years. Pretty quiet as the air comes out of the holes and furnaces and we shut the valves to the holes off at the end of the day, puts a bit more air in the furnace but not an excessive amount as the butterfly regulates air and gas on the way in. The reason I would like to replace it in the long run is energy. It is a 3.5HP motor running 24x7. With a variable it is a fraction of the energy use.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:07 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
Our blower has an outside intake, is in an insulated box, and then PVC to the holes and the furnace. Has been running for many years. Pretty quiet as the air comes out of the holes and furnaces and we shut the valves to the holes off at the end of the day, puts a bit more air in the furnace but not an excessive amount as the butterfly regulates air and gas on the way in. The reason I would like to replace it in the long run is energy. It is a 3.5HP motor running 24x7. With a variable it is a fraction of the energy use.
Get rid of that thing. Call up Charlie Correll and he will set you up with a Trinity blower and Vanessa controller. It will pay for itself in a couple of years in electricity savings.