CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 07:32 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Pete please call me

Pete,

Please give me a call I am in need of ordering a set of moly elements but the number I have does not let me know if it is you or not.

Please delete after seeing this.

Scott.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I'm in Hawaii for ten days for a wedding. My number has not changed. Chinese tariff wars are an unknown to me as of today. the phone is 6 0 3 323 7 9 0 0 but I'm gone right now. I can't process an order from the hotel.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:44 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Scott, are you having an element emergency? I have some for my furnace that I will (hopefully) not need until Pete gets back that you can use and replace....that's if they fit....
Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 AM
AbbyNormal User

Somewhat I had a spare but it appears it was broke in the box. It has been kicking around in the shop for the better part of 4 years who knows what machinations conspired to break it on the shelf.

Emergency is a bit of an overstatement. I have my backup furnace I can fire up. The timing was bad as far as when I noticed it was having an issue and it was already under 700 after two days of non-use. We lost a breaker that powered the fans that ventilated the equipment hotbox and the element fan cooler.

Which caused it to get really hot on the elements and the hot box. I think it over heated the element at the top and it cracked which arched and burned up the strap.

It was time to change out the pot anyway it was going on it's 3rd year as well. I just loath heating it back up to break the seal on the bottom and drag the clean out glass at the bottom.

Either way I appreciate the offer but we can limp on down the road with the old spare furnace until Pete rolls back into town.

I suspect I need to get some new straps/bindings as well.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
there should be an electric furnace owners support / therapy group. Maybe I can add my services for conversion therapy back to gas combustion.

Sorry to hear you lost an element scott.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
No need for that Eben. All that's needed is an email address to send you questions into. There will be an automatic reply that will look something like this:

Did you do ongoing preventive maintenance:

A?
B?
C?
D?
E?
F?
G?
H?
I?
J?
K?
L?
M?
N?
O?
P?

If the email sent back is no, it will send back an email that says Good Luck!!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:57 PM

Just keeping an eye out for you, my friend!
Yes, preventive maintenance is imperative with electric furnaces. Check your straps and connections every month.... write the dates that you check in chalk on the side so you can see when the next one is due....
Old 07-11-2018, 01:09 PM
The Old Gaffer

Scott, I still have quite a number of odds and ends elements kicking around the studio and may be able to ship one on my return. I do need to know which element it is. I suppose Eric can climb up in the loft and see since they're all marked on the outsides. I just have had so much trouble shipping without breakage. I do have the straps.
Shipping in from Shanghai just takes time to process. Govt regs are getting weirder with Trumps tariffs too. James Burts in N.C bought a goodly number of spares from me when I sold the control panel as well. they were a 9/18 312/500
Old 07-11-2018, 01:11 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kube View Post
No need for that Eben. All that's needed is an email address to send you questions into. There will be an automatic reply that will look something like this:

Did you do ongoing preventive maintenance:

A?
B?
C?
D?
E?
F?
G?
H?
I?
J?
K?
L?
M?
N?
O?
P?

If the email sent back is no, it will send back an email that says Good Luck!!
I refer you to that excellent maintenance book by Dr Seuss:
"On beyond Zebra"
Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 PM
AbbyNormal User

We had handful spares with the furnace and I have never really looked into which ones are in it. They did not have labels when we got the furnace second hand. I lost one in the building collapse and one in the move. Then this last one was on the shelf and in fit of anger I tossed it in the trash before giving it any kind of once over after seeing it in 4 pieces in the box.

So this will actually be the first time I have had to place and order. How would I go about determining exactly which ones I need to order. I would very much like to go ahead and restock my spares as well. Maybe I will buy hard plastic rifle box to keep them in.

Either way, I could easily pull the broken one from the furnace and get measurements. I know it has .5 inch shafts at the top where the straps attach. This furnace has been such a easy little beast to use I was lulled into laziness as the only things we ever had to replace when not actually moving it were the Bussman Fuses.

So, back to that task at hand how do I determine which element I need? Shaft diameter?

Last edited by Scott Novota; 07-11-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
We had handful spares with the furnace and I have never really looked into which ones are in it. They did not have labels when we got the furnace second hand. I lost one in the building collapse and one in the move. Then this last one was on the shelf and in fit of anger I tossed it in the trash before giving it any kind of once over after seeing it in 4 pieces in the box.

So this will actually be the first time I have had to place and order. How would I go about determining exactly which ones I need to order. I would very much like to go ahead and restock my spares as well. Maybe I will buy hard plastic rifle box to keep them in.

Either way, I could easily pull the broken one from the furnace and get measurements. I know it has .5 inch shafts at the top where the straps attach. This furnace has been such a easy little beast to use I was lulled into laziness as the only things we ever had to replace when not actually moving it were the Bussman Fuses.

So, back to that task at hand how do I determine which element I need? Shaft diameter?
This is for a #300 Stadlemelter, right? That would be a start... this is how Pete told me to measure...Do you have one of the elements where you can measure the hot and the cold zones from right at the weld point? ... that is your size.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:25 PM

Brian Wong Shui is on a distinguished road
See Picture
40184590-4364-4E4F-94C3-E94DBA428EAD.jpg

Last edited by Brian Wong Shui; 07-11-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Extra letters
Old 07-11-2018, 05:43 PM
The Old Gaffer

Knowing pot capacity puts me in a ballpark. Knowing the KVA of the transformer helps. Knowing the secondary voltage of the transformer reallyl helps. Steve built two different 300 units. The KVA tells all on that. Measuring an actual element both for hot and cold zone will indeed tell me the element size but it's good to remember that you could have the wrong element in the first place.

The Secondary plate on the transformer is your friend. My big book on Kanthal elements is mine.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 AM
AbbyNormal User

This is really my own fault. I got lazy and was just enjoying being around my new daughter and blowing glass when time presented itself.

No one here to blame but me and my own ability to enjoy the salad days. It is as Pete says no free lunch... I was coasting and not paying attention. I have the backup furnace coming online and should be back in business Sat. I knew that guy in storage would pay off one day.

I am waiting on the moly furnace to cool a bit more then I will pull the broken element at this point there is no real rush. Based on the parts that I have it looks to be a 6/12 and I will get a solid measurement on it once I pull it out tomorrow. I have a huge backlog of lap work to do so it will all be a wash in the end.

I see it as a couple of quality stress free days with the cheeky kraken(daughter). Funny how she changes my down time into fun time.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 07-12-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:47 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
This is really my own fault. I got lazy and was just enjoying being around my new daughter and blowing glass when time presented itself.

No one here to blame but me and my own ability to enjoy the salad days. It is as Pete says no free lunch... I was coasting and not paying attention. I have the backup furnace coming online and should be back in business Sat. I knew that guy in storage would pay off one day.

I am waiting on the moly furnace to cool a bit more then I will pull the broken element at this point there is no real rush. Based on the parts that I have it looks to be a 6/12 and I will get a solid measurement on it once I pull it out tomorrow. I have a huge backlog of lap work to do so it will all be a wash in the end.

I see it as a couple of quality stress free days with the cheeky kraken(daughter). Funny how she changes my down time into fun time.
If it's a 6/12, its a 450 450, almost unshippable by mortals like me but I think I have at least one. . Shanghai pulls it off but only from DHL. UPS and Fed Ex like to toss boxes. If it's a 9/18, its a 312 /500, much easier and No, you can't interchange them.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Steve Stadelman is on a distinguished road
Scott, call me503-709-9922. I am positive you have 6/12 312-450
Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 PM
The Old Gaffer

I suspect I have them.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 AM

If this is the furnace purchased from Arden Stewart it has 6 heaters on a 100 pound pot.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:38 PM
The Old Gaffer

That I understand Steve. I haven't seen anywhere in the thread what the pot size was and I just may have missed it. Pot size usually makes it easy with the exceptions of the two 300# units.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM
AbbyNormal User

Yeah Steve it is. Alas, I am kind of always sniffing around for the next jump.... Pete give me a ring when you get back to town. There is no hurry at this point the little spare is kicking along just fine and will be fine until I get this all worked out. Mind you I am getting a first hand lesson in why I switched years ago but it plays for now.

It is 4 heaters, 6/12, 29inch length, 17 inch shaft, 12 inch heating area, 2 inch A width. It is over powered as it was the 200lbs unit power plant for lack of a better way of saying it.

After closer inspection it appears to me the harness clip on the 3rd element got loose and arched and burned up the strap and snapped the element at the top. This broke the continuity and the furnace came to a halt. Took the 60amp Bussman fuse with it. I have a whole box of those guys as spares.

So going to need an element and a full complement of new straps/clips.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 07-17-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM

yep, 312/450 or 500. cold terminal length makes no difference.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM

Scott, your phone mailbox is full!!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 AM
AbbyNormal User

Sorry about that Mark. I always forget about the sent messages being kept and filling up the usable space.

On that note I need to send Katie a care package. Again, this board is a wealth of knowledge and help that can't honestly be represented any other way than amazing.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Sorry about that Mark. I always forget about the sent messages being kept and filling up the usable space.

On that note I need to send Katie a care package. Again, this board is a wealth of knowledge and help that can't honestly be represented any other way than amazing.
Not the messages on Craftweb, your phone number that you left on your phone message to me....