CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 09:26 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
Spectrum did manage to make hundreds of compatible colors and a blowing cullet that fit all those colors. Yes spectrum with uroboros produced that many compatible colors opals and transparents. That deserves some respect in my book. The formulas they used to calculate Coe obviously gave different numbers then the calculated 96 but no doubt they fit each other.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:28 PM

Then they sold out and it went across the border. That's the part the leaves me a little chafed.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:25 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Um Foreign.
Sort of like Kugler, Reichenbach, cristalica, Gaffer, Bendheim, GLASMA, Phillips, like them?
Old 07-28-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
Um Foreign.
Sort of like Kugler, Reichenbach, cristalica, Gaffer, Bendheim, GLASMA, Phillips, like them?
Not sure what your trying to say. I was talking about taking an American owned and run business out of the country to reduce labor and energy costs skirt environmental issues all motivated by how much they can line their pockets. Maybe some of those companies you listed fall in that category but not to my knowledge. I want to add I think we all should think globally but certainly try to suport locally.

Gaffer on that list has brought manufacturing to our country and trust me I'm thrilled they are here.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:29 AM
The Old Gaffer

I get that. My point was how reliant we are on foreign companies already. The reason so many of the cullet companies failed in the longer term was costs over salability at decent prices. . They can't make money selling cullet at current American costs so they farm it out. I genuinely believe that some German companies are subsidized since it's easier to do that than to pay welfare checks. The reality I see down the road is $1.75 cullet. Wages are wages, materials are materials. It's maybe less expensive to make glass from batch, maybe not if you look at fuel and time. It seems to me that inconvenience of dust is icky to many people and I have little sympathy for that since it doesn't have to be that way.

I too am Happy to have Gaffer here. Oz is bummed.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:30 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Do you ever see Gaffer doing batch here directly? I know that they have a batch formula but don't know much about it.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:33 AM
The Old Gaffer

Gaffer batch has been available in this country for years. I believe you'll find it at Spruce Pine Batch and at East Bay Batch. I'm not positive about East bay though.

Gaffer cullet, no.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:23 PM
The Old Gaffer

well, it's been three weeks since the Cristalica rep said everything was fine ( Jul 12th). OCR and Spruce Pine are still out of cullet. I'm starting to advise people to melt the snowflake version of SP87 or my formula, or East Bay's in electric kilns but to crank the kilns up to 2250F to do it and that should work. It will increase the element failure levels somewhat but it's not a perfect world.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:20 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
From OCR today....

As many of you are aware, Cristalica cullet has most recently been in short supply but is ramping up to meet everyone’s demands. A second furnace has recently been added and we expect to have a much larger inventory available by October/November. We will start by bringing in containers to Seattle and our New Jersey warehouses and ship to your location from these two points. Once the demand settles, we will also be sending Cristalica glass to our other locations such as Granger IA, San Antonio TX, Atlanta GA etc.

Cristalica has made a few changes since we started stocking their cullet. The boron within the cullet has slowly been decreased from 1.75% to 1.5% in May and most recently to 1.25%. This step by step decrease was taken to ensure the quality of the glass. The pallets have also been upgraded and there is a plan to change from boxes to bags by the end of the year.

We appreciate your patience and please know that OCR and Cristalica are doing everything we possibly can do to increase production. We have made multiple visits and also have plans for many more visits to our partners at Cristalica within the next few months to ensure that inventory gets back on track. In the interim, OCR will stock Spruce Pine Batch in 50 lb. and 12.5 lb. bags at our Seattle location within the next week. Please let us know if you need any to ensure that you can keep producing your beautiful art.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:06 PM
The Old Gaffer

October , November?
Interestingly. I believe the original boron content in the spec sheets I have from when I introduced the cullet to the US as 1.0-1.5%. I'm staring at that spec sheet. So did it get taken up to then be brought down to the problem area it had two years back?

1.25% will continue to cause the effects so many have commented on . In my opinion of course. I'd be most interested in Phil's comments on the activities of Charlie Parriot.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
October , November?
Interestingly. I believe the original boron content in the spec sheets I have from when I introduced the cullet to the US as 1.0-1.5%. I'm staring at that spec sheet. So did it get taken up to then be brought down to the problem area it had two years back?

1.25% will continue to cause the effects so many have commented on . In my opinion of course. I'd be most interested in Phil's comments on the activities of Charlie Parriot.
That would be something for Phil or Andreea to answer.....
Old 08-04-2018, 07:46 PM
The Old Gaffer

I think they can read, but from different screenplays ,Mark.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:37 PM
(((0)))

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Social media posts from the last 24hrs.

I'll just leave this here.

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 7.32.14 PM.jpg
Old 08-17-2018, 07:33 PM

Yeah, there is a magical supply just hidden out there waiting to be discovered.... smdh....
Old 08-18-2018, 07:51 AM
The Old Gaffer

A push is on to get snowflake into Portland. Some people seem to think this is a different formula, It's not. It's a batch of SP87 with far less water in it so it doesn't make large pellets. It is finer and it is dustier. It should be loaded by the pound, not just filling the pot. In wire kilns, it should go far better if the kiln is turned up to 2250F.
Buy some spare elements. An extra pot is not a bad idea either.

I like the part where Greg's desperate person says "My order was cancelled". What is happening is that the schools are ordering in volume and they get to be first in line because they order their color from the same source and that's where the money is.

So, be reassured that come Oct, Nov, somewhere in there, you may get cullet. How important are you?

This may take some rethinking on the part of small wire shops. I have one that has set up two furnaces. One melts one day, one the next while the prior days pot gets worked. Time to learn to build your own kilns. It's not very expensive.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:42 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenbaum View Post
Yeah, there is a magical supply just hidden out there waiting to be discovered.... smdh....
Actually, I have 350lbs of it in the tractor shed but a persistent bunch of ants has moved into the boxes.