CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-24-2018, 02:30 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
cullet.. ( the other kind)

For 20 years I have been tossing my cullet in the dumpster, but last week when I was at the dump I inquired about recycling the stuff.. ( pipe crack offs) and the answer was " absolutely ". So now I simply save my SP87 bags and fill them up with my scrap and recycle the whole thing. Every studio I know just pays to dispose of it..

Its my belief that all of the glass in my state gets ground up into fine frit and is used as road sand in the winter.

Just thought I would share...
Old 07-24-2018, 07:07 PM
Registered Abuser

Brian Graham is on a distinguished road
I sort mine - good clear gets saved for a future remelt. Colored bits get saved for a few artist friends - some even pay me good money for it. Fines below a 1/4", and super iron contaminated glass get pitched. I made a screen that goes over my trash bin for ease of sorting. I end up saving more glass than I throw away. I also run a two barrel system for crack offs - one for clear and one for color. This helps save time on the sort. I am going to ask my city if they would take what little I do throw out..... Never thought about recycling it till now.

Last edited by Brian Graham; 07-24-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:55 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I save my moils to add to color, but never as a clear. The green is not acceptable.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:31 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Graham View Post
I sort mine - good clear gets saved for a future remelt. Colored bits get saved for a few artist friends - some even pay me good money for it. Fines below a 1/4", and super iron contaminated glass get pitched. I made a screen that goes over my trash bin for ease of sorting. I end up saving more glass than I throw away. I also run a two barrel system for crack offs - one for clear and one for color. This helps save time on the sort. I am going to ask my city if they would take what little I do throw out..... Never thought about recycling it till now.
Oh yeah. I have a clear bucket and 2 color buckets. One wet and one dry. Saving clear saves me a lot of money over time.