CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-29-2018, 12:03 PM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
Anyone hiring?

OK, so I still can't find a new home for my studio in Tallahassee. Outrageous rent prices and local government / politics have left me in the lurch. I was slated for an $800,000 grant until the very last second & poof it goes to a pet project of the City Commission.

Any jobs for a glassblower out there? I'm willing to relocate for the right gig. My partner also has a Master's in Art Ed. so she would be looking for a High School art job.

I have 2 Bachelor's, but no Master's so university jobs are probably out.

I'm very good at "schmoozing" clients and drumming up support, business development, doing make-your-owns, managing employees etc. But I'm not an "experienced" glassblower. I also have public art/RFP/RFQ experience.

Any thoughts? I really don't want to give up on having my own studio. But it looks like it might not be in the cards until I find the right opportunity. I have a handshake deal to be in the middle of a $156 million development, but that's 2 years down the road. What should I do? Go to school? Find a job? I'd travel and learn but my $$$$ is low from running the shop for 2 years.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:36 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Glassybaby was hiring and I think does on a pretty much continual basis.
There was that group in Scottsdale that was hiring.
Simon Pearce in Vt hires.

It's all production stuff. No glory. Look in the classifieds
Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 AM

Scott Dunahee is on a distinguished road
production stuff might not be glory but MAN do repeated reps of the same item tune up your skills fast.

BSD
Old 07-30-2018, 10:07 AM

Thanks... I'll take a look.

At this point, I really don't mind doing production. Like you said Scott, it's a way to learn and get better. I still like making pumpkins because it's an opportunity to learn

I just WANT TO BLOW GLASS. My alternative is $29k a year without benefits as a sculpture lab manager or working at Costco.. which pays almost $45k/year.

F**** up world we live in :/
Old 07-30-2018, 10:30 AM
The Old Gaffer

I'm way more bleak about it. I think there are more glass studios and glassblowers than the market can support. I think that Studio advances peaked a number of years back and has deteriorated into being common in the very worst definition of the term. 29K is not a living wage. Neither is 45K actually when you look at items you cited- spiraling rents- material costs shooting upward. Student debt, non home ownership at all.
I wish I could be more upbeat about it. My youngest complains right now that he can't make more than 100K a year in programming development. I don't think I netted 100 K in the fifty years I was in glass. He's in a field that actually seems to support skills through demand.

Right now, the number of families of four, with the breadwinner being 55 years old, or older- 30% have no savings at all and the only thing they do have is equity in their home averaging 65K total. I'd be F'ing terrified if that was where I was at that age. It's why supporting a demagogue like we have now makes sense. Terror brings out a lot of irrational anxiety.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I'm way more bleak about it. I think there are more glass studios and glassblowers than the market can support. I think that Studio advances peaked a number of years back and has deteriorated into being common in the very worst definition of the term. 29K is not a living wage. Neither is 45K actually when you look at items you cited- spiraling rents- material costs shooting upward. Student debt, non home ownership at all.
I wish I could be more upbeat about it. My youngest complains right now that he can't make more than 100K a year in programming development. I don't think I netted 100 K in the fifty years I was in glass. He's in a field that actually seems to support skills through demand.

Right now, the number of families of four, with the breadwinner being 55 years old, or older- 30% have no savings at all and the only thing they do have is equity in their home averaging 65K total. I'd be F'ing terrified if that was where I was at that age. It's why supporting a demagogue like we have now makes sense. Terror brings out a lot of irrational anxiety.
Pete, while I agree with a lot of what you say, I disagree with your bleak outlook on studio glass. Someone has to be buying all of the glass to create batch and cullet shortages.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:25 PM
The Old Gaffer

Schools, teaching more glassblowers to compete with you....
Old 08-03-2018, 03:55 PM

I'm with eben on this. The money is out there, we're in the "best economy ever" but you need a gimmick of some kind to get people out like the bar I want to build. The market is definitely oversaturated as the barrier to entry has gone down with mobile furnaces and the like. $25k and you're good to go. I also see very little innovation in the studios Pete. That is true. Every boro group I'm in I say "WOW" that's cool now do it 100x and make some actual art and not a pipe. Crickets....
Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 PM
The Old Gaffer

the market is completely real, no matter what I say, the market will say what's what.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:06 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
You might check in with the Lincoln City glass center
Old 08-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Matt Bezark is on a distinguished road
are you a member of GAS? they send out a weekly email and there's almost always at least one job offer.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM

I am not. I'll have to join. Thanks ya'll.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:09 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Matt,

Call Sky he is down in Central Florida and has been looking for help for a while.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:12 PM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
Try J Draper Glass there looking for someone.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:32 PM

Cool! I like their style.

I think Sky found someone. Wish I had linked up with him earlier but that's life.

I'm gonna make something happen here... yes I am. YES I AM. *cues Rickroll"
Old 08-12-2018, 10:37 PM

Also, Pete... if you melted boro you could easily make 6 figures. The money is out there. I'm just too dumb to have figured it out yet (or had enough $$$ to get there).

It usually does require a compromise, though. Which a lot of "artists" aren't willing to make.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Epstein View Post
Also, Pete... if you melted boro you could easily make 6 figures. The money is out there. I'm just too dumb to have figured it out yet (or had enough $$$ to get there).

It usually does require a compromise, though. Which a lot of "artists" aren't willing to make.
I'm not chasing a market. At this stage of my life I'm quite comfortable. Further, what you suggest won't last as more and more people enter that market and supply exceeds demand. I do think that most of the interesting stuff in glass is currently with the boro elite. But I have no interest in melting boro recipes at all. Splitting firewood makes way more sense.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I'm not chasing a market. At this stage of my life I'm quite comfortable. Further, what you suggest won't last as more and more people enter that market and supply exceeds demand. I do think that most of the interesting stuff in glass is currently with the boro elite. But I have no interest in melting boro recipes at all. Splitting firewood makes way more sense.
I totally understand -- hence why I said compromises, if you want good money.

I also think there is PLENTY of room in the Boro supply market. Most batches sell out within minutes. I don't see that ending for quite some time.

I don't really care about working with boro either. But that is where a lot of the innovation and $$$ is right now. I'm looking to partner with some flameworkers at my new shop.