CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM

Dave Hilty is on a distinguished road
Wet Batch

Walked back into the studio after being out of town for 3 days. The day I left
the outside temps were near zero but the studio seemed ok and the heat tape I placed on the copper water lines was doing its thing.
Upon returning I discovered a nice even spray from a frozen pipe in my absence dousing an entire new pallet of batch plus a few bags from the previous. Fortunately no water on important stuff like the Annealing oven controller or the Moly control panel, etc.

My question is pretty simple. If I want to spend the ridiculously laborious time trying to spread wet batch out on plastic to get it to dry before bagging it back up, will the fact that it got soaked change the nature of the resulting melt?
And I guess a follow on question is, if I don't attempt to get it dry but just charge with pretty wet batch, am I setting myself up for a joke of a melt, as in bubbles up the wazoo that never clear? I'm aware of the "bricking" that can result from moisture absorption in bagged batch, but is this just a "it don't melt well cause its in giant clumps" and if I spend the time doing a spread out and dry so the bricking is minimized, will that address any issues?

I'm prepared to chuck the entire pallet if the resulting melts are useless but wanted to pose the question here before "experimenting" and wasting my time since others here may have been through it before. Pete, this is beyond anything we would have discussed in the class since the presumption for accurate scaling of everything going into a batch recipe is that it is bone dry so you aren't tricked into under scaling wet stuff.
Here, it is really wet and aside from the mess, I don't have a clue on whether anything shifts chemically/mechanically in the bagged batch?

Spruce Pine 87 w/E.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 PM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
Dave I have had a similar problem before. Spreading the batch out on the floor will help, but not a good idea. You will never get rid of all the water.
I filled up SS bowls with the wet batch and ran them thru a short annealing cycle. My pot is small, so sometimes I would just stack a few bowls to one side of the box and fill the rest with wares. Then charged with that.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:19 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
what you don't want to see is material being washed off the floor to another place. If it just is sucking up water from the pipe- slowly, melt it . It its a real runaway wash out, don't.
We just had an interesting and discouraging set of leaks from ice dams on the roof of MB's part of the shop. It was a lot of water and does not seem to have damaged anything given the temps. No mildew. Ice brewed beer I suppose.

If it was mine, I'd try it.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give it go and report back. Seems like its more a mechanical issue...if I don't spread/dry, it will eventually brick up unless I am melting it rather quickly.

Its all contained in the bags but you can tell that the water has penetrated pretty much throughout. You can see some chemical leach out (white) where the bags have been stacked on one another or if I lay one on the floor, the leach out is through the bag and onto the floor.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Confucius say- “ wet batch needs an extra day to fine out”.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:47 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Might try getting some pallet wrap and wrapping them up like a saran wrap sandwich or drop them in some plastic 50 gallon leaf bags... Might give you the time you need to get them melted before they cement up on you.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:27 PM
The Old Gaffer

I have Spruce Pine mix my formula and the potash ( which is not present in the SP87) has always been hydrophylic. My bags get really hard. I drop each one about four times and I break up the big chunks with a punty in a bucket. It's very nice glass.
What is of issue here is what got washed away. If some did, then it's junk. If it's just wet, it's wet. The water really comes right off at 2300F.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:38 AM

Rollin Karg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
what you don't want to see is material being washed off the floor to another place. If it just is sucking up water from the pipe- slowly, melt it . It its a real runaway wash out, don't.
We just had an interesting and discouraging set of leaks from ice dams on the roof of MB's part of the shop. It was a lot of water and does not seem to have damaged anything given the temps. No mildew. Ice brewed beer I suppose.

If it was mine, I'd try it.
Follow is advice Dave, if it's all still there it will melt just fine. Even if it gets hard, just break into small enough pieces to load. Over the years we've had the batch get wet then hard. It just doesn't seem to cause an issue.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I have Spruce Pine mix my formula and the potash ( which is not present in the SP87) has always been hydrophylic. My bags get really hard. I drop each one about four times and I break up the big chunks with a punty in a bucket. It's very nice glass.
What is of issue here is what got washed away. If some did, then it's junk. If it's just wet, it's wet. The water really comes right off at 2300F.
I've alternated between Glory Hole heat & annealing oven and a fan blowing on the bags. Some of the bags have leached right through the seams (sewn) onto the floor with a fairly thick coat of (?) white coating. Those, I am assuming will be junk for the reasons Pete spelled out.

I have Spruce Pine shipping me some clean new bags so I can do a rake out on plastic with a quick blow dry before bagging the stuff up in new bags. Rollin, I hear you and if there is bricking up but no significant leach out of stuff through the old bag seams, I'll just smash and bash to get it into the furnace.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:52 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
You will totally be fine. And as I said before, I would wager a guess that you might need a little more time for the glass to fine out. Charge on Friday.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
Might try getting some pallet wrap and wrapping them up like a saran wrap sandwich or drop them in some plastic 50 gallon leaf bags... Might give you the time you need to get them melted before they cement up on you.
Scott, good point. I'll probably do that to the wettest of the stuff and try to air dry the less wet stuff. Thanks for the thought.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:47 AM
The Old Gaffer

Mildew in your batch.. What color would that make?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
Glass or mildew?

I kid, did not think of that. Would it actually cause and issue?

Pete's new color "Silver Opal Corona Green" has a nice ring to it.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:45 PM
The Old Gaffer

Well, I was joking but maybe it could at least smell bad.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 PM

John Riepma is on a distinguished road
Dave, do you need any to keep going while yours is drying out? Let me know if you do...
Old 01-28-2018, 04:56 PM

Thanks John for the offer but I'm finding a goodly amount that will keep me going.