CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 07:38 PM

Drew Hine is on a distinguished road
Hot glass information exchange

Does the book Hot Glass Information Exchange have any influence on today’s glass world? I have an original copy that looks like it has never been opened. Would it have any value to people in the world of glass?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Registered Abuser

Brian Graham is on a distinguished road
I am interested!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I’d love a copy of this as well. I think purely for nostalgia. Great illustrations !
Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
Isn't Joe Pfeifer still selling reprints approved by CMOG?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Please Disperse

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
https://www.bookwire.com/book/USA/Ho...3853--55748079
Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Joe did obtain the reprint rights from Corning. They don't have to approve anything. After how Whitehouse Books butchered the cover, that would be ironic at best.

The book needs to be looked at from two perspectives. The first was that being at the Boulder Colo conference there was a simple price of admission: You had to submit a paper that addressed some technical issue found in the glass studio. That was it. We had a wide variety of issues at the time ranging from photography, which in 1978 was not a resolved issue to the small shop at all. John Nickerson's drawings of how to construct polishing equipment are extremely valuable to this day since he was such an excellent draftsman. Much of the information is quite pertinent today.

The other aspect of it was this was private studios at work, an appendage that the Academic community spent a great deal of time disparaging. Andy Billici From Alfred Univ was the only academic who contributed and also came to the Conference. Lipofsky was turned away at the door partially because he did not submit a paper and partly for grudge reasons by John Bingham. ( Go John!)

The call for papers went to every dept head in the US with a glass program. It was virtually universally ignored. It was the first time the private shops asserted that they had a place at the table in the larger community of glass. Within ten years, the schools would find that the private shops were leading the way in every imaginable part of glass, be it design, chemistry, equipment, you name it. The small shops ruled. I have said this before but I remain extremely proud of it: Neither Henry, John or I wanted to keep the proceeds from three printings of the book. We gave the money to the Rakow Library to buy its first computer with which they cataloged the Library.
Henry Summa is dead, I haven't seen or heard of John Bingham in over 20 years but I can tell you the women at the Rakow still remember. I get treated like royalty there. They always ask about John.

Glass notes is a better book, but this should be in anyone's library that is serious about process in glass.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:10 PM

Dave Hilty is on a distinguished road
I cherish my copy handed down from a long-deceased glassblower. Pete, you have created with Craftweb, the working successor to the original intent of Hot Glass Information Exchange. If I may quote John Bingham in the intro. to the book: "It is the hope of those involved with the Hot Glass Information Exchange that this kind of open forum amongst glassblowers will continue; we all have much to learn from the studio experiences of others."

Of course you have gone overboard since your wish to "...find the time to start making my own beer", the closing statement on your submitted paper, with your "spirited" efforts late in your career.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:46 PM
The Old Gaffer

Making beer is hard. If it's less than 140 proof off the Lyne arm I don't mess with it. There was a period of 25 years in there where I didn't drink at all. These days? Who cares? is the working theory.

As to Craftweb, I agree. It is and will remain a work in progress but the archives have become remarkable. I haven't seen John since he departed for Sri Lanka in 1989. Vanished. Nick quit glass and went back to pots. Nick is remarkable. Henry sadly passed away.

With the influence of my new able ( and strong) assistant, I'm back at color again. Today I drew out thread as fine as human hair of a copper ruby which I haven't attempted since I stopped using the moly. As a colorless hair, on the outside of a piece, it struck an intense red. Just as striking as my black. Now, to dial it back down to earth. I may get the crusher out for the stuff.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:06 AM

A few weeks ago a guy was walking by my studio and looked up and shouted “hey I used to blow glass! “ we got to talking and he said he was at the very first gas conference. I couldn’t believe it. Such a nice guy. I won’t put his name up here to respect his privacy. He was a student of Henry Halem and ended up choosing a non-glass career path, but he was there in the thick of those early glass days.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Cecil McKenzie is on a distinguished road
I know someone that went to the Hot Glass Info Exch that is no longer involved with glass that may be inclined to part with his copy. He says it has incidental stains but is in pretty good shape. Any offers? I am not making anything from this. My friend and I drove from Emporia Ks to attend that symposium. It was a great time . Getting to see Shorty Finley blowing glass and rubbing elbows with many pioneers in the American glass movement.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil McKenzie View Post
I know someone that went to the Hot Glass Info Exch that is no longer involved with glass that may be inclined to part with his copy. He says it has incidental stains but is in pretty good shape. Any offers? I am not making anything from this. My friend and I drove from Emporia Ks to attend that symposium. It was a great time . Getting to see Shorty Finley blowing glass and rubbing elbows with many pioneers in the American glass movement.
I'll take it. Sent you a message. Thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 PM

I was in court all day today so was not able to reply to anyone. First offer was from Max second offer was from a graduate of Emporia . I will let my friend decide. i tried to contact him tonight but have not heard from him. When I was seeing if there were any copies of this book out there I came across some of John and Karen's work on eBay. There were some pretty hefty prices for their work. Whether they get it or not may be another story. Not much of their optical sculpture pieces or I should say not any of that category. I think John and Karen quit after the big crash. I don't think my friend is the greedy sort and I will try to have him send you a picture of the book.

My local bookstore is supposed to get some kind of machine to print stuff on demand. i might see if they could do copies of Info Exch.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I was in court all day today so was not able to reply to anyone. First offer was from Max second offer was from a graduate of Emporia . I will let my friend decide. i tried to contact him tonight but have not heard from him. When I was seeing if there were any copies of this book out there I came across some of John and Karen's work on eBay. There were some pretty hefty prices for their work. Whether they get it or not may be another story. Not much of their optical sculpture pieces or I should say not any of that category. I think John and Karen quit after the big crash. I don't think my friend is the greedy sort and I will try to have him send you a picture of the book.

My local bookstore is supposed to get some kind of machine to print stuff on demand. i might see if they could do copies of Info Exch.
id love a photocopy of the notes Cecil..
Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:

That would be a violation of the copyright. The book is in print after all. Joe Pfeiffer holds that copyright at Igneous glass. The only difference in the new edition is the material used for the cover.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 AM

I think the new cover is pretty creative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 19566494-6C76-4F8E-A01C-9719D7133D73.jpeg (82.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
I think the new cover is pretty creative.
Whaaaaaaaat the f*******?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:19 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Epstein View Post
That's not the cover. The cover continues to be a pneumatically operated glass bench doing all jobs with a glass guy in a cowboy hat at the hand control. Drawn of course by John Nickerson.

Here's a link to buy the different books Joe has brought back from the dead. "The Schedules" is a remarkable compilation of real world annealing programs by Graham Stone. Hard to find but it should be in everyone's library. Henry Helmers batch book is just an amazing collection of formulas. I go to it when I'm looking for fifty different ways to approach a color.

I really react to copying material that is available for sale.If it's a long gone source, I have no problem. Joe put a lot of effort into getting this work back in print. You would not like someone copying your work.

https://www.bookwire.com/books/publi...ous-Glassworks
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Epstein View Post
Muahahahaha
Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM

'Not trying to circumvent any copyrights. i had mistakenly got the idea that this was pretty much unavailable and if so make it available,
Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

well, good. Posts 4 and 6 both mentioned Joe Pfieffer as having the book available. The stained one could have come from me. I had about fifteen stained copies we sold after the first three printings were exhausted , Now, the link is posted. The price has not changed in all this time. Not true of Glass notes 4.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:24 PM

I may have mistakenly got the idea this book was not available because when I scrolled to the bottom of Bookwires page about this book it said this book not available at this time. Likewise on amazon . I think the bookstore that does copies on demand are on the up and up but I will inquire.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:12 PM
The Old Gaffer

Unless they have copyright fees to Joe, no, they aren't. It's intellectual property theft.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 PM

i don't think they are in to property theft. Here is a picture of my friends book .
Stains and all. Hope I am doing this right. i think it its sold all ready but not sure.
http:///Users/mainmachine/Desktop/ .jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .jpg (46.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Cecil McKenzie; 02-13-2018 at 09:13 PM. Reason: not sure I posted picture correctly
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Please Disperse

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
The scanned pages that I have are from either Interlibrary loan, or from the Rakow Library.

If you want a copy of your own buy a used one from someone, or buy one from the link I have already provided (Joe Pfeifer at Igneous Glassworks)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Just as a heads up, the bookwire.com link doesn't actually have any of the books for sale (they're all listed, but none of them are available).

I poked around Google for a bit looking for the Igneous Glassworks site. It is godawful hidden, but here it is:

http://glassbookstore.com/

Judging by the copy on the "About" page, this is Joe's own website. You should be able to buy the books directly from there. I went as far as a checkout cart just to see if it would work and it seemed fine.