CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 10:07 AM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
How to spend $25k on a high school glass program?

My partner's high school is completely rebuilding their campus, so there is some extra money in the budget, especially for construction and infrastructure.

Her principal is very excited about bringing a glass program to the school, as he used to be a shop teacher.

There is around $20,000 (maybe $25k) available to purchase equipment, and potentially $5,000-$10,000 a year after that per year for utility and maintenance costs.

This doesn't include money for the hood, gas, and electric infrastructure, which will be covered through the construction budget, as the art room needs one anyway.

The principal has suggested we start a pilot 7th period class that runs over after school to gauge interest. BUT buying and running a hot shop doesn't make sense for ONE 50 minute class.

$25k would cover a big dragon, plus all the tools and a kiln, but again you would only be serving 2-6 students at a time. It also just seems silly to me to be running two hot shops at one time. Especially since I have a big-dragon type setup already, and my shop will *hopefully* be about 10 minutes away from the school (supposed to be signing a lease in the near future).

We have been kicking around the idea of focusing on the school buying flame working stations and kilns for warm glass (which has a much lower $$ barrier for entry), and having the school contract with us for an after-school program at my shop. I am also in the process of building out a trailer, which could be used to bring the hot shop to the school for 2-3 days at a time, twice a month or so.

Thoughts?
Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 AM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
High school kids making pipes in shop- I want to read about that one!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
25K is really not much money for this sort of thing. You may be unpleasantly surprised at how quickly damage can occur. I do like Marty's observation... Last thing I heard from you was interest in the Maui proposal.

It kind of reminds me of an old Loving Spoonful song.. "Better go home son and make up your mind."
Old 02-22-2019, 11:28 AM

Max Epstein is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Kremer View Post
High school kids making pipes in shop- I want to read about that one!
That didn't seem to go over well when I suggested it to the HBCU (Florida A&M University). I dunno why....?
Old 02-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Yeah, $25k just really isn't close to enough to set up an above-board (insured & inspected) hot shop you can teach out of.

I'd go with the torch and kiln route. Also has the benefit of being much easier to start small and scale up over time as funds & interest allow.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
Definitely go the lampworking route. In any written proposals and discussions with the people controlling the purse strings be sure to call it scientific glassblowing.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
What about operating costs and materials? And who’s paying you to teach?
Old 02-23-2019, 08:35 AM
Registered Abuser

Brian Graham is on a distinguished road
I have been thinking about trying this at my school -the only difference is that I could supply the entire shop; they would only need to supply me the space to do it.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:32 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Hugh Jenkins is a great person to talk to about the evolution of the glass program at Punahoe High School in Honolulu. I think Hugh started with it after his stint at Penland which was after his stint becoming famous for getting Arsenic poisoning at RIT. Hugh now lives on the Big Island in the highlands. He's close to retiring at this point, yet another of the old school who is hanging up the tools.

Punahoe is indeed an affluent school but has been deep in the arts which is really prevalent in the native culture. I think if you are really interested in pursuing what will become a very intense venture if you commit to the art/career approach, he's the man to give advice.