CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
and I might add, three kilo's isn't much at all. I am really encouraging people to use the cleanout to heat the lower end of the furnace when turning it on, so it's nice to keep it clean. I have folks sticking their bench torches in the cleanout on a pilot flame. This has eliminated problems with thermal shocking pots or so it seems. It's really only an issue on the 28 and 34 inch furnaces.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
Steve S. recommended a 15kva 240 input, 45v output single phase transformer with standard 5% and 10% voltage compensation taps.

Do you guys plug the cleanout with brick and fiber?
And while that is absolutely the best unit for the job, you aren't going to find it off the shelf. It's a custom transformer.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:04 AM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
clean out the port weekly !?! uh-oh

what is the best method to clean out my port without shutting down?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM
The Old Gaffer

Get the furnace really hot, pull the cleanout material and look it all over. If it's really bad, there is going to be a solid plug of glass to stare at. If it's clear, look up the hole. Make a little rake out of angle iron and drag the crud out. If solid, heat up the glass plug with a torch, as big as you can find. If there is really a lot of crap, be ready to contain it and keep valuable combustibles away from the cleanout.

This is not a fun job.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 AM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
thanks pete. alright, really hot, do i need to go as hot as 2275?

should any coating on the floor be cleaned out regardless of thickness?

in the past i have been sure to load batch real careful and wait for the pot change for a big cleanout, but the part of me that pays the bills is demanding maximum efficiency!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM
The Old Gaffer

I would go up to 2350F. Either that or hold it at 2275 a long time. You need this stuff to flow and there's no heat source at the floor.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 AM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
If you gather clean you don't need to clean it out at all. Maybe when you shut down. Weekly is totally overkill for most shops unless you're putting 100 pounds of glass on your floor every week. Rollin runs a large production shop.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
The Old Gaffer

I load crap in the pots that sometimes want to get out of the pot. Cad Sels are the worst next to enamel white. It's inherent in making color. It's not the gathering that gets me.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
This is how hot you need it!
Go with the flow! 2300....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3389.jpg (19.5 KB, 106 views)
Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 PM

Thomas Chapman is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

That's quite a flow!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM

Mark Rosenbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Chapman View Post
That's quite a flow!
yes, a sh*t-load of glass...never thought there was that much wrapped around the crucible in a "jelly roll"!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:08 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
wow....and ouch all at once.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM
The Old Gaffer

I forgot to add, be ready to protect your concrete. While dramatic looking, Mark's dump is not all that unusual. The radiant heat from it is substantial and you really need to be aware of what might get damaged.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:03 PM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
I got a chance to visit with Tadashi Torii at the Duckbill Studio in Atlanta awhile back and he let me take a bunch of photos of his shop. Heres a photo of the 300lb. Stadelman. I’m guessing this shop takes a beating with the renters and newbee students…If I remember right he said it was five yrs. old.

Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 03-03-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:08 PM

Brian Wong Shui is on a distinguished road
Lawrence, since I'm the one who looks after the technical aspects of this shop and you are posted a photo of our equipment, I guess I should contribute to this thread.

Everything that you've read on this thread about venting, gathering ports, crowns, insulation, wiring, etc. is true. Listen and try and take care of the problems now while it is apart.

The seal between the door and the gathering port is worth about 10% in energy consumption. We reface the gathering port and change the door once a year without fail to keep a good seal and a gap on the bottom edge of the door helps with the dribbles and allows most of the gases to vent without too much heat loss (found out after much experimentation). The picture that you posted is one of the experiments.

We had hole once and found the drain port in this version of the furnace to be lacking. It ate the bricks and got into the insulation. It was a pain to clean out. Your drain port seems to be a little better designed but it should stick out beyond the metal of the cylinder.

We charge batch weekly and pull our crucibles religiously at 72 charges and always have a spare on hand.

Like Pete, I've always thought that the bottom and the front face of the furnace is a little underinsulated. If you scan it with an IR thermometer it will be a higher temperature than the rest of the cylinder.

Since your furnace is under a hood, ensure that there is enough space work and to pull and install the elements. You'll be doing this hot one day. Using a piece of Angle Iron around the corners of the passage bricks makes a good extraction tool and can aid installation to allow the brick to slip in without getting hung up on the insulation.

Get a high temp IR Thermometer. It will help you find hidden trouble spots and hot connections. Grid the skin and take measurements when new. It will help to identify when tunnels are being formed in the insulation. Get a 1000A True RMS Clamp Ammeter and take readings (primary and secondary) when new. It will provide a baseline for your monthly measurements and identify when something is changing in your furnace. Try and take the readings under the same operating conditions.

Put a dialer on the Watlow. Elements break in the night with a full pot of glass. You'll need to know.

Put a time delay relay on a warning light for the door. People will leave your door ajar and you'll wonder why your furnace temperature is dropping.

Allow the stainless panel on the front to move. This panel buckles under the heat. Expansion allowances may help. (Not tested)

Build a maintenance checklist and follow it. Perform Root Cause Analysis on every failure. No one ever said that this was a maintenance free furnace but it makes great glass.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:09 AM
The Old Gaffer

what Brian said about the stainless is true. I removed all the screws from mine and it stopped hanging. Pretty but dysfunctional.

I have never had an element fail unless I was involved in making it fail.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wong Shui View Post
Put a dialer on the Watlow. Elements break in the night with a full pot of glass. You'll need to know.
Hey Brian,

Could you elaborate on where to find this auto dialer and how/where to connect to the Watlow. I'd be interested in installing one here.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Rollin Karg is on a distinguished road
Brian

When you replace the gathering port, are you replacing the whole ring including the port? Or did you make your own replacment port and modify the ring ?

Thanks
Rollin
Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Dennis Hetland is an unknown quantity at this point
auto dialer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
Hey Brian,

Could you elaborate on where to find this auto dialer and how/where to connect to the Watlow. I'd be interested in installing one here.

Thanks!
Sensaphone www.sensaphone.com/index.php

You should be able to find where to connect it in your Watlow manual.

Last edited by Dennis Hetland; 03-29-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: ad info
Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM

Andrew Boatman is on a distinguished road
Reminder

When the time comes to begin to prepare for a crucible change. Be sure to have everything you need before you begin.
Elements - eight, just in case.
Crucible - as pete says always have one on the shelf
Parts - cables, air tubes, new wiring, screws
Crown - Looks like another week of waiting
Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
The Old Gaffer

In the summer, castings dry fast. In the cold season, they just never seem to dry at all and they can't be pushed so therein is the risk of not having a casting when you need it. It's true of the pots too. There is an undeniable pace and rhythm to it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Lawrence Duckworth is on a distinguished road
Brian, thanks so much for your help. I’ve been down there a couple times now and sure wish I would’ve bumped into you…

I’m getting close to tackling the door and s/s front. The expansion is something to ponder for sure…and the weight of the door too, maybe a counter weight on the backside of the bridge assembly.

The skin is 26 ga.coil stock from the local metal roofing supply house, probably should have gone with something heavier, (16ga.nmaybe??) anyway, fastened with a strap and 2- ¼-20x5/8” ea. I’m guessing the skin is in four sections for expansion, otherwise a sheet of stainless would have been a bunch quicker and less hassle…but then wrenching all the nuts down kept my middle granddaughter busy.

Last edited by Lawrence Duckworth; 03-03-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin Karg View Post
Brian

When you replace the gathering port, are you replacing the whole ring including the port? Or did you make your own replacment port and modify the ring ?

Thanks
Rollin
Rollin,

We don't replace the gathering port. We chip away the glass and resurface with a phosphate bonded patch. Grefpatch-85 from HWR. It seems to hold up for about a year. It is a pretty picky product for dryout. Put it on and let it set up for 24 hours and then follow the dryout. It has absolutely no green strength. Thermbond is another phosphate bonded patch but doesn't seem to bond as well as the Grefpatch to the old castable.

Sure would be nice to be able to yank out the gathering port and replace but the Stadelmeister wasn't designed that way. (Hint to Pete :-)). I thought about getting Larkin Refractory to build a mold for the front so that I could change the design but didn't get around to it.

The face of the gathering port and the sill should be considered a consumable and designed accordingly.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bernbaum View Post
Hey Brian,

Thanks!
Josh,

The Power Series SCR has an alarm output. You should be able to connect to the dialer spec'd by Dennis. I haven't put one in as yet it is on the list of things to do.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
what Brian said about the stainless is true. I removed all the screws from mine and it stopped hanging. Pretty but dysfunctional.

I have never had an element fail unless I was involved in making it fail.
Pete,

Our last element failure occurred at the end of the transition from the shank to the hot zone. There was a sharp machining mark at the end of the transition. My hypothesis is that the sharp machining mark created a stress concentration which turned into a crack which fatigued during heat cycling. The crack propagated over time. The broken parts had that classic look of cyclic fatigue failure.

I don't think that it was caused by us winging the element.