CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 11:36 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Question

I have become a good deal pickier allowing new registrations. I check out the individual as well as the ISP they choose to use. If they are not demonstrably involved in the glass community, I don't register them.

So I have one "Tyler Rising" who appears to be an executive with Linkedin and I find no connection to glass at all. I don't like the notion of the site being harvested. Does anyone know him (her) who would vouch for the registration?
Old 10-26-2021, 11:57 AM

Richard Huntrods is on a distinguished road
Quick search I found 3:

one on twitter: https://twitter.com/Tyler_Rising

two on linkedin:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tyler-rising

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tyler-rising-49280b9a

None of the 3 seem to have any link to glass, and the two on linkedin both seem to be sales type people.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:04 PM
The Old Gaffer

You saw what I saw.

I suppose the larger question is "Do members want me to continue to scrutinize membership applications of this nature". I really have thought that keeping the participants as glass people and not for phishing people.
I don't mind when the board gets really quiet at all. Most issues have been in the archives for a long time if one wants to look. I really like going back there.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:24 PM

Ted Trower is on a distinguished road
Status Quo

I really don't see any benefit to admitting just anyone. If you're willing to continue putting out the effort, I'm certainly willing to enjoy the benefits of your labors.
"It appears to me that glass men are the most given to drunkeness of any class of men I know" Peter Burt, recruiter in Europe, in a letter to Deming Jarves of the Boston and Sandwich glass company. -1826
Old 10-26-2021, 09:18 PM
Registered Fuser

Rosanna Gusler is on a distinguished road
Like Ted said. Thank you.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:28 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Ive taken up this issue a couple of times over the years. I would like it to be a community of people that actually post here. That might be another good criteria for a start. If one is to believe the visitor numbers- which seem incredible-there are many trawling the archives here which is good for what?
And yes, thank you
Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 AM
The Old Gaffer

I like to think of us as a living library. Indeed the cast of people who post over the years is far smaller than the number of people who utilize the site, the responses are here to use.

I can go back now and still get a bit teary over folks like Brian Blanthorn who we lost way too young. His observations through his humor on grinding are wonderful. Here, he's immortal.

For those who know how to do it, The entire Bullseye debacle is available and it's important.

With people like Tyler, I only posted it because he registered three times and I could find no interest beyond potentially using us to get more subscribers to the site he works for. I wrestle with that periodically over mass registrations from the Balkans that are just harvesting material.

I tend to think we would be a poor site if We excluded people who may be shy, or intimidated by my difficult side, or think they're above needing a vault for thoughts. I've said before that it's rare for me to not learn something each week that I did not know. Lately it's been very quiet. In the past, I panicked over silence but now, I just enjoy the calm. Then WHAM. Cerium hits. Then silence.
Since my software is a bit different than the general issue, I can see what the "Guests" are looking at. It's remarkable how deep they dive. I do like to maintain one board for refuge from the Google Spider.

Anyway I do it because I like it and I think it's important.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:09 AM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I find that what has happened up to this point has worked very well. I say if it is not broken don't fix it.

I appreciate the resource and use it more than anything else besides my ice maker at the shop as an ancillary tool to my glass adventures.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:37 PM

Location: Salida, CO the Happy Little Town of my Happy Little Dreams
Brice Turnbull is on a distinguished road
Thanks for taking the time, and making the effort to check people out before registering them here Pete. I appreciate this being a space for people making off hand glass and equipment. Students, sure! But not just general folk, as I don't see what they would contribute by asking questions or providing info.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:17 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
"Anyway I do it because I like it and I think it's important."

It is appreciated, it is valuable, and it is important. Not many places where you can have the level of exchange that there is here.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:48 PM
The Old Gaffer

I get irritable if the individual is just trying to make money off of unwitting people. I picked out this guy because three times I removed his registration and he kept coming back. I actually do try to find how glass intersects with the person. Many times, when google gives out a warning over the ISP is cause to pay attention. My software allows me to see every ISP and what the user is looking at.
At other times, I get people who are involved with glass or machinery and are trying to sell diamonds big as horse turds. I don't have a lot of patience for con men although Heidi Broderbund was certainly entertaining.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:44 PM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
I appreciate the resource and use it more than anything else besides my ice maker at the shop as an ancillary tool to my glass adventures.
:

Jimmy Buffet would have made that Rhyme.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:58 PM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I am without any doubt positive no one has been subjected to more Buffet than me on this board. I would not do that to you guys.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:12 PM
The Old Gaffer

Take your parrot head and get back to work, I mean lunch, I mean a nap..

I liked Buffet way back when it was all "Mother Mother Ocean." Cheeseburger in paradise lost me. A pirate looks at 70 will be about Colonics.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:11 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Novota View Post
I am without any doubt positive no one has been subjected to more Buffet than me on this board. I would not do that to you guys.
Well you do live in the redneck riviera. A friend of mine made no jimmy buffet stickers and sticks them all over the bars around where I live. He grew up in the keys and was traumatized as a kid from too much buffet.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:28 AM

Larry Cazes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I have become a good deal pickier allowing new registrations. I check out the individual as well as the ISP they choose to use. If they are not demonstrably involved in the glass community, I don't register them.

So I have one "Tyler Rising" who appears to be an executive with Linkedin and I find no connection to glass at all. I don't like the notion of the site being harvested. Does anyone know him (her) who would vouch for the registration?
So many online scams and opportunists these days. Its only smart.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:08 PM
Drone

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I'm unfamiliar with the person in question. I feel like if someone is genuinely interested they would message or email and introduce themselves.

The only reason I have a Linkedin account is when I couldn't find a job in '09 after the crash. I was advised to use any method available to find work, but it did nothing for me. My list of contacts are mostly folks I'm already in contact with through social media or other. Some don't work in glass anymore. I get very few requests, but occasionally get suggestions for adding people. I just see the email notifications, but hardly ever log into it.

It's one of many online entities I put off closing my account with. I would like to just cut ties with as many as possible, but you're never really "free." I'm a little on-edge about all of this stuff right now because cyber crime has made my life more stressful this year. My employer got taken out by a ransomware attack earlier this year:

https://www.wfae.org/local-news/2021...ry-cyberattack

Lost a lot in the attack. The attackers got paid. I lost almost two years worth of work. I've had to re-write lesson plans, etc. It was my bad for not having my own backups (which I normally do). I got lazy because it's easy to think "it'll be there later."

I also got hit personally a couple of times. The first one was exceptional because they got everything. Address, phone number, SSN. I had to change all my passwords. I think I'm safe. Monitoring credit reports. It just bugs me that someone (or something) is out there posing as me. I get random emails and text messages from businesses I've never worked with saying "there's a problem with your account", or "your account has been closed." I don't click the links. That's where remembering all of the accounts gets challenging. Stuff like Linkedin that sit there languishing, but I can't remember if I used the same password as one of my other accounts (yes, never use the same password- my password for cw is unique )

All that to say I appreciate the vetting process. We can't be online and NOT have our data mined. But why put out the welcome mat?
Old 10-31-2021, 05:14 PM
The Old Gaffer

Stay away from facebook. It's a breeding ground for it