CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 08-25-2020, 10:39 AM

Lawrence Tuber is on a distinguished road
Bucket of Spectrum white

I found a bucket with 50lbs of spectrum white glass in the studio. It looks like busted up sheet. I think I bought it in 2011 for a resident artist's project that never came to fruition. Does anyone know if it's 96 coe or what it is?
I'm attaching a photo. I'm wondering if it would be good for casting into Plaster silica, any insight appreciated.
LT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spectrum white.jpg (19.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:46 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
If you aren't mixing it with anything else, L.E.C. is irrelevant. Otherwise, test it against what you are contemplating mixing it with. A simple pull test should suffice.

The photo appears to show two distinct colors. Is that the case? If so, test them against each other.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:58 AM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
Just looks dirty to me. Most fusers were assuming 96 from Spectrum (before they sold) and, unless they did something daring or stupid, they got away with it.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:14 PM

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Tuber View Post
I found a bucket with 50lbs of spectrum white glass in the studio. It looks like busted up sheet. I think I bought it in 2011 for a resident artist's project that never came to fruition. Does anyone know if it's 96 coe or what it is?
I'm attaching a photo. I'm wondering if it would be good for casting into Plaster silica, any insight appreciated.
LT
If it's Spectrum it's 96. Does the bucket have any labels?

You can cast with it. You'll probably have some minor surface devit issues, but nothing outside the norm.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:53 PM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
Spectrum sold both stained and fusing glass. Bullseye has a stained line as well. System 96 was what was designated for fusing. Now Oceanside is using the names interchangeably.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:50 PM

Steven O'Day is on a distinguished road
If it is smooth on both sides it probably is fusing glass and would work. If each side looks different with striations, small seeds or texture it probably is window glass and will probably devitrify on fusing.

Like Pete said, testing is your friend.

I made an 2" sq pattern bar out of Spectrum 96 white without any problem, no devit but this was not in contact with plaster.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:49 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
Does plaster contribute to devit?
I get devit going too slow through the 1300's and also (sometimes) from unifrax fiberpaper binder fumes.

Last edited by Marty Kremer; 08-25-2020 at 06:50 PM. Reason: old age
Old 08-25-2020, 07:09 PM

Steven O'Day is on a distinguished road
I don't know. My experience is that there are more problems with devit and scummy surfaces when casting into plaster than when fusing on shelves or into frax and vermiculite board backed molds. Like most things there are a lot of variables and I've never run controlled experiments to see if it is the plaster or something else like different cooling rates or generally larger pieces or geometry or ? when using plaster.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:52 PM

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Kremer View Post
Does plaster contribute to devit?
I get devit going too slow through the 1300's and also (sometimes) from unifrax fiberpaper binder fumes.
The answer is yes, but not because of the plaster itself, per se. As you pointed out with the binder fumes it has more to do with with the off-gassing of materials. Chemical water in plaster investment can take a long time to burn out depending on several variables. How thick is the mold? How long did it soak at temp.? If you ramp up really fast to your casting temp. there may not be enough time for the water to dissipate before your glass starts to soften. Then you're in the devit range temp.-wise, so it's a perfect storm-type scenario.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:24 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Vriethoff View Post
The answer is yes, but not because of the plaster itself, per se. As you pointed out with the binder fumes it has more to do with with the off-gassing of materials. Chemical water in plaster investment can take a long time to burn out depending on several variables. How thick is the mold? How long did it soak at temp.? If you ramp up really fast to your casting temp. there may not be enough time for the water to dissipate before your glass starts to soften. Then you're in the devit range temp.-wise, so it's a perfect storm-type scenario.
Plus the thermal mass of the mold will keep you at the de-vit temp longer no matter what.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:38 AM

Lawrence Tuber is on a distinguished road
spectrum opaque white

Thanks for all the replies. It's all pretty uniform in color, some of the edges are a little pink, not unusual for some white glasses. The 2 color appearance is mostly due to lighting.
I have been doing a good amount of kiln casting into plaster silica arround 3 inches thick with gaffer lead billets, and thought I would try this glass since I have it. I know it will be of very different flow than lead glass and much more prone to devit. I am blasting surfaces so that is not a great concern.
I assume it is 96 glass, and am wondering about the COE as a basis for firing schedule.
Has anyone out there done thick plaster silica kiln castings with spectrum, and would like to share a schedule?
Old 08-26-2020, 08:48 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
comparing Spectrum to gaffer billets is like comparing apples and Orangutans.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:24 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
I'm going to assume no, but did you try out the gaffer billets? Rona put my plans with it on hold. On the plus side they seem to be back to full production with most things in ready stock. That or everyone's stopped working...