CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 08-04-2017, 12:32 AM

Jesse Bogenrief is on a distinguished road
Sound damping yet enough air flow?

Does someone know of any one or anywhere I can get information on a Box to go over my intake blower. One that will supress the noise yet give me the air volume i need.
I have a Pyronics Blowers
LC 16 16 oz. Pressure, 230 CFM, capable of providing 1,380,000 BTUH

So far I have built a box with sound damping material in it as a shell to start. Now I'm past my expertise. I have some experience with building speaker boxes but never needed to keep the sound in and air flow. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The intake air makes a deceiving amount of noise and when I've done that, I found I had to extend a PVC pipe to the outdoors to intake it. Further, don't neglect the heat that will get generated by the blower motor and it's not insubstantial. I saw a fairly disastrous demo of why you really want the insulation to be mounted well in the box when fiberglass came loose on a blower box at the Sunapee show and was sucked into the air manifold. Rigid board insulation is good. Keep the unit up on rubber mounts to cut vibration noise. Making the box a double box would really cut sound but make heat dissipation harder. Putting it outside entirely is attractive as well. My neighbors would not like that.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Brian Wong Shui is on a distinguished road
I second the air intake of the blower making noise.

Use a commercial carpet lined, tortured (serpentine) path to intake the air.

Code:
                 +-------------------------+   +AIR IN
                 |                         |   |
                 |                         |   |
                 |     +-------------+     |   v
                 |     |             |     |
                 |     |             |     |       +
                 |     |   BLOWER    |     |       |
                 |     |             |     |       |
                 |     +-------------+     +       |
                 |                                 |
                 |                                 |
                 +---------------------------------+
It needs to be large enough to supply the required amount of air but narrow enough force reflections of the sound on the walls of the intake.

Make sure some of the intake air passes over the motor for cooling.The right angle baffles will force reflection of the sound which the commercial carpet will absorb. Needless to say, the box should be made out of something heavy (MDF) with the sound absorbing material securely attached. Fiberglass is a poor sound absorber at the frequencies we are talking about.

The box ideally has no parallel sides (is it a box anymore?) which will help to prevent the standing waves.

SIDE NOTE

I've always wanted to try and make a blower cover using the technique outlined in the attached article. Never got around to it. It looks like it would allow air to pass through without letting out the sound.

P1 from make_vol10_phononic.pdf

P2 from make_vol10_phononic-2.pdf

P3 from make_vol10_phononic-3.pdf

P4 from make_vol10_phononic-4.pdf
Old 08-04-2017, 09:13 AM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
I once had my large blower electronically balanced by a guy who did that for large industry blowers. Less than $200. Reduced noise and vibration greatly. It was in an oversize box with two 5" pvc pipes ducted outside for air

Last edited by David Russell; 08-04-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
It strikes me that if the piping actually goes directly into the intake on the blower from outdoors that it should reduce noise. Otherwise, the suction is going to be loud and that's where I have the problem with Brian's design. I do not know if that's correct as an observation or not. I do know that the suction sound is the big problem.

And don't forget the heat issue.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:20 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Anything you can do to cover it will get you some relief. As Pete mentioned, an intake that is outside the building will provide the best relief. The other option is to stick the blower outside, which many people with those big old blowers do. You'll want to screen whatever intake you have to keep out leaves, lifeforms, etc. I build stuff with Ametek blowers these days and they fit nicely into an electrical enclosure. Automation direct has some inexpensive panel mount filters I like to use. I bet if you fully enclosed it something like this would work:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ts/WPFA50-60BK
Old 08-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Brian Wong Shui is on a distinguished road
We have that blower in a box similar to the one shown. It has damped down the noise from the blower.

The problem with that specific blower is not the air flow noise which is a low whooshing, it is the 3-5kHz whine that the blower wheel makes. In my opinion, Pyronics could have done a better job on the design but they aren't really intended for home use :-)

As Pete said, the best thing is the plumb the intake to suck in air from the outside.