CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 08-07-2017, 03:07 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
Eclipse Blowers

Might need a new blower, not sure yet but... Ideas for the best source for a 5HP rated Eclipse SMJ blower?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:20 PM

John Riepma is on a distinguished road
Hi Art, I've got 2 AmeteK Rotron 1 HP regen blowers - these are not the squirrel-cage type, they're a regen blower that creates a lot of volume and higher pressures (if necessary) than the squirrel-cage type. They are each more than enough to run an entire studio with multiple glory holes. Here's a link to a general description of the blower:

http://www.ametekdfs.com/dfsbrands/r...erativeblowers

Note that this is not the exact unit that I have but explains the principle behind a regen blower. And they are 1hp instead of 5 hp, so there may be some utility savings there.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Amtek is a great blower.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
So I am not going to need a new blower. I had a filter I did not know about. I had looked at the blower before but the filter got half sucked in and so covered that I though it was dirty metal. Cleaned the filter off and many of my problems went away, many.

The other part of this was how much this is a community. Jordan, Rich L, and especially Chuck L. worked me through this and were willing to give me time and advice. I owe them all, and truly appreciate their help from the bottom of my heart.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:39 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Glad it worked out.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
The other part of this was how much this is a community. Jordan, Rich L, and especially Chuck L. worked me through this and were willing to give me time and advice. I owe them all, and truly appreciate their help from the bottom of my heart.
The fact that this kind of help is a pretty regular occurrence is one of my favorite parts of the glassblowing world. I'm far more of an equipment hound than a proper glassblower, and nothing gives me warm fuzzies more than getting to help someone who doesn't usually tinker with their equipment so they can get hot again.

I do wish there was more of a regular venue/occasion for different glass people to exchange technical information. Right now it seems like informal word-of-mouth is the only real way the knowledge gets spread.

Last edited by Eric Trulson; 08-08-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:16 PM
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Trulson View Post
I do wish there was more of a regular venue/occasion for different glass people to exchange technical information. Right now it seems like informal word-of-mouth is the only real way the knowledge gets spread.
You're looking at it.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Young Turk

Eric Trulson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kube View Post
You're looking at it.
True. This place is the single best source of technical glass knowledge out there today, no question. The fact that it's an online forum adds some pretty inherent limitations though.

(wall of text/thread hijack incoming)

Craftweb is excellent for talking about recent events, answering specific questions, and troubleshooting problems. It provides immediate access to some of the best and brightest minds in the glass world, and things are well moderated(thanks Pete!) and active enough(thanks everyone!) to maintain a great signal-to-noise ratio. It's also great for disseminating really really niche information, since it can facilitate a conversation between the handful of people who are actually working in that area (The recent calcedonia thread was a prime example. Also some of the old recuperation/efficiency threads where Jordan and Hugh and Charlie all chime in on the same topic).

The online forum structure really doesn't provide much incentive for longer-form writing though. Think articles that are planned out and researched and edited before being published, and organized by topic so they can be easily searched through. I would love for there to be another online knowledge base to complement craftweb, which was geared more towards maintaining a record of glass information. There should be a way for glassblowers to easily add their little individual bits of knowledge to a common public record.

Examples would be things like a step-by-step guide for how to do a Hagy seal or a dilatometer test, or an overview of the different types of heating element and the pros/cons of each, or a collection of the batch notes from a shop that melts color. The vast majority of information like that doesn't change much, so once a good article has been written and polished up and published, it can just stay up and keep providing value to the world without requiring ongoing effort.

I see a huge need for this kind of archive. Is that just me? So much of the knowledge of the glass world takes decades to learn, but then it just stays locked up in someone's head and dies with them. An archive for technical glass information would help limit the need to re-invent the wheel every generation.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 PM
The Old Gaffer

In a word: Glassnotes 4th Ed. OK three words...
It could be the case that I will extract from the archives much of what you refer to. It actually is all there and needs to be , well, edited. Katie has given me complete permission to use the archives and at this point, they go back a long time. I still can't find the time to finish my book.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 PM
?

I hear you
Old 08-08-2017, 07:43 PM
The Old Gaffer

Exclamation

which one of us? Eric is on the point. I'm just on the the mark.
For those that don't know, Eric built equipment for Wet Dog.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
Might need a new blower, not sure yet but... Ideas for the best source for a 5HP rated Eclipse SMJ blower?
You want a used one?
I'm considering taking mine off line and switching to a variable speed blower. If I do this, it will probably happen in February
Old 08-09-2017, 11:53 AM
?

I was talking to Eric, Pete. You, however, need to get your butt in gear and finish that book! The Johns are getting up there too and I haven't heard any mention of a compendium of knowledge for making colored glasses.

Glass notes is great because it's pretty straight forward and accessible. I think there is an opportunity to level things up a bit, but things get a little more complex. A section on building a moly furnace could turn into its own book. Wire furnaces are one thing, biting off more than you can chew with a moly furnace is another. Many people have done it but they self select with their ability to find and understand the information for themselves. You won't find a lot of people willing to babysit and hold hands but you will find a lot of people willing to answer educated questions. It's not terribly hard.

I like what you're talking about Eric. I'm currently in the middle of a project that shows the construction of a glass blowing lathe. They cost upwards of $10k new. I built one that works for under $2k. It's not really for this crowd but I'm putting it out there. Thinking about doing some for other pieces of studio equipment as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-blowing-lathe

Videos so far:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...VJEZG2VHNhxywl

Last edited by Jordan Kube; 08-09-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 AM
The Old Gaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Kube View Post
You're looking at it.
Something that i do very regularly is to go to the sites people are reading and it's an interesting case study. At any time there are over 200 people looking at the site while perhaps 10-15 are registered members

Scott Benefield and I were talking about high quality posts last week and i had given a very measured response about the base glasses needed for specific colors down in that forlorn board on color. Scott had indicated to me that it was one of the most information rich things I had written on that subject and I do admit that I'm becoming looser with what I know as the clock runs down.
BUT, what was interesting was that there were only two people looking at it at all. Pearls before Swine as the Bible says. And that leads me to question the likely level of success trying to create a new wheel. We have the board "Antiques and Classics" and whenever I see something really worth saving, I copy that thread to that board but it's really rare that I make it sticky, so non use of it makes it fall off into neverland and is increasingly harder to find, specifically if the thread title is odd.
The board is obviously popular given the 230 or more people looking at it from far away and that pleases both Katie and I enormously. What I think about the suggestion Eric is making is that all these information details are important ( and i agree), it's not clear to me that that is the general case. It probably is the case that a book on the general issues would again be appropriate. We did that in 1978 with "The Hot Glass Information Exchange" and that was a watershed publication. Others were Frank Kulasiewicz Book which I thought was marvelous but it was thoroughly bashed by the schools. Harvey's book isn't about tech issues at all and it wasn't until Halem did the Glassnotes run that these issues opened up. For me, the 4th ed was the real deal since Henry actually went to the various experts and asked them to open up.
Many would not do it, fearing competition but many did and it's a spectacular volume that everyone in glass should own. But for today, I have to ask this really basic question, how do you justify the effort it would take when many little shops lack even the fundamental tooling or desire to build equipment at all. I think Eric is really talking to maybe 15 people and that's based on who I see reading what when I go look. More people are interested in what happens when you combine this color with that color while in reduction. It's way worse at the facebook page of "Glassies"
Old 08-10-2017, 02:12 PM
?

Even if it has niche value there will always be people out there looking for it. The information exchange is its own reward.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:24 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
Those who need it will find it and be grateful you preserved it.