CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Part of the Problem

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
The birth of a new studio

The realization of a long standing dream is coming to fruition. My wife and I are (finally) home owners. We closed on the house about a week ago. First time home buyers. One of our requirements (that made the search more difficult) was a detached garage that I can convert to a studio space. We needed it to be far enough away from the main house so that any "mishaps" on my part would not jeopardize our home. The detached, two car garage is 100 feet behind the house. It's constructed of plywood and 4X4 studs, and is on a concrete slab. It appears to be 25-30 years old. It was permitted by the county in the early 90's. I've spent the last two days prepping the walls for insulation and drywall. It is not sealed very well from the elements, so I'm running up against some challenges. Today I noted there is about a four foot section of the front wall where water leaks under where the plywood meets the concrete slab. The slab extends about two feet out from the front of the building. It stormed really hard for about 10 minutes yesterday. There's no standing water, but when there's a deluge like that it's going to push up against the side. Any advice on how to seal this? I will most likely have to replace the wood. I'm on a really tight schedule, and hoping for a DIY solution that won't break the bank.

I put this in the general section because it is a glass studio. If it should be in cords that's okay (I'll get to the glass stuff soon, I promise )

Sorry I don't have any pictures right now. I'll be back at it again tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 PM

Barb Sanderson is on a distinguished road
Greg I have no advice on the construction but congratulations on your house! That's very exciting!
Barb
Old 07-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Part of the Problem

Thank you, Barb!

Yes, we are very excited about it. My wife is in West Africa right now, and will return in two weeks. We will be moved-in at the end of August.

So much to do. So little time.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:22 PM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
if it was my shop I would probably leave the plywood on run flashing from a foot or so up to a 90 degree break and glue it to the concrete. Then cover the exterior wall with tin. Plywood will only last so long exposed to the elements. Your going to have to redirect the water off the slab or deal with standing water. That may require a diamond cup wheel. Cheers for the new space can't wait to see the progression.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Great Greg!
I have all kinds of stuff for a studio- Ill ship if you pay!- a lot of things you can have- some things have a price��
Old 07-30-2017, 01:44 PM

That goes for eveyone
Old 07-30-2017, 02:33 PM

Hugh Jenkins is on a distinguished road
Greg, let me know when you are ready to recuperate!!!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
I have an extra 100lb pressure pot and I would be willing to sell a 7.5HP Ingersol Rand compressor that needs work. Not giveaways. I have lots of strange stuff for glass shops.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:39 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
with a two foot slab you could cut back the siding put thick plywood, cover with a membrane, glue/seal the membrane to the concrete and then put a short 2foot brick face there.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Part of the Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Campbell View Post
if it was my shop I would probably leave the plywood on run flashing from a foot or so up to a 90 degree break and glue it to the concrete. Then cover the exterior wall with tin. Plywood will only last so long exposed to the elements. Your going to have to redirect the water off the slab or deal with standing water. That may require a diamond cup wheel. Cheers for the new space can't wait to see the progression.
Thanks, Skye! I got some silicone window and door seal to fill the cracks that should work (fingers crossed). I'm hoping the plywood is treated, but wishful thinking usually doesn't work in these situations. I haven't seen any standing water. The roof doesn't extend very far over the front, so water just pushes along the front. The pic shows that the concrete slab is sloped away from the structure (the shadows make it hard to see I think). I will explore siding options in the future. The seller is a contractor that did all of the work to the house, and the work is excellent. The garage just got some minor framing, and a fresh paint job. It looks like he put new shingles on the roof, so I'm happy about that. I'm doing my best to seal any cracks before adding insulation.

IMG_0440.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig View Post
Great Greg!
I have all kinds of stuff for a studio- Ill ship if you pay!- a lot of things you can have- some things have a price��
Thank you, Michael! I will keep this in mind when I am ready to buy equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jenkins View Post
Greg, let me know when you are ready to recuperate!!!
Thanks, Hugh! I'll be bothering you when I try to remember all the stuff you taught me in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete VanderLaan View Post
I have an extra 100lb pressure pot and I would be willing to sell a 7.5HP Ingersol Rand compressor that needs work. Not giveaways. I have lots of strange stuff for glass shops.
I'm all about the strange stuff, Pete. I'm not looking for any handouts. No free lunch (all rights to that phrase retained by you )!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Freas View Post
with a two foot slab you could cut back the siding put thick plywood, cover with a membrane, glue/seal the membrane to the concrete and then put a short 2foot brick face there.
Not quite seeing that, Art. Maybe the pic will help. Thanks!

IMG_0440.jpg
Old 08-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Charles Friedman is on a distinguished road
Put in a trench drain. Pricey but it works great. I had the same problem with my shop when I first moved in. Comes in real handy during the big gully washer of a rain storm.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:40 PM

Marty Kremer is on a distinguished road
I put a floor drain in my new cold-working shop and got an unseemly amount of pleasure from it when one of the wet belt sander's water supply sprung a leak and I didn't have to get the mop out.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:14 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Keep the thing accessible. I had one in the Santa Fe shop but it clogged with tiny cullet bits. That was not reversible and made me really sad.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:58 PM

Is the water hitting the wall or just following the slab in? Is the wood damaged - rotten where the water enters?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Pringle Teetor is on a distinguished road
Congrats greg!
Old 08-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I had a problem similar to this at my studio and I simply cast a cement speed bump along the edge where I did not want the water to go. It worked great and took about 1 hour to do. If I owned my building I would have rented a diamond saw and cut out slots for a French drain, but.........
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Yea I agree Eben, either cast a concrete upphill or glue down a 1x3 to dam the water or extend the roof
If the wood is not damaged I would just ignore it-you have much bigger problems building a studio
Old 08-10-2017, 09:32 AM

Dave Bross is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! Always good to own your own home. It's also a joy to have a private studio to work in.