CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 04:12 AM

Tim Bassett is on a distinguished road
Stopped Stadelman Furnace

On my 300# Stadelman furnace I seem to have lost all power to my control panel...no lights at all. There is still a dim hum from the transformer when I turn it on so I know I have power. Replaced the ice cube fuses and still no power. Electrician coming tomorrow for what thats worth but i would love to get a handle on the situation now. All suggestions welcome
Old 08-03-2017, 07:42 AM

Peter Bowles is on a distinguished road
tryin to help an aussie out while the rest of the world sleeps...anything in this thread ring any bells?

http://talk.craftweb.com/showthread....ght=loss+power
Old 08-03-2017, 09:16 AM

Steve Stadelman is on a distinguished road
Check the breaker on the circuit that the control panel is plugged/wired into. Check the internal fuses for the controls and later models had a breaker inside the panel as well for control circuitry.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Eben Horton is on a distinguished road
I won't give up names but a glass blower was in a panic for a whole month becauae their controller died. They lost thousands of dollars in potential profit from lost production time... finally when the person that they hired to come and install the new co triller that they bought, it was discovered that it was just a popped breaker.

Talk about a face palm moment.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:55 AM
AbbyNormal User

Scott Novota is on a distinguished road
I had this happen to me on my ST-Moly last month.

Checked all the breakers in line to the furnace. All good.

Went home and got my multi-meter and started to check each fuse. Three of the smaller fuses and the 60amp fuse had also blown. You could not visually inspect them and tell the difference.

I suspect power outage from a thunderstorm and then the power popping back on caused the fuses to all go at the same time but did not clip my breaker. That breaker has since been replaced as well just because I no longer trust it.

I had about dozen spare small fuses and 2 of the 60amp fuses on the shelf so I was back in business. Hope it is something simple like that.

Last edited by Scott Novota; 08-03-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:12 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben Horton View Post
I won't give up names but a glass blower was in a panic for a whole month becauae their controller died. They lost thousands of dollars in potential profit from lost production time... finally when the person that they hired to come and install the new co triller that they bought, it was discovered that it was just a popped breaker.

Talk about a face palm moment.
Occam's razor
Old 08-03-2017, 12:12 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Not to beat the breaker thing to death but I just last week went over to troubleshoot my friend's moly furnace and it was indeed the breaker. Opened and closed the breaker two more times and it worked. We got it coming up on schedule and he is going to replace the breaker.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:43 PM

John Riepma is on a distinguished road
I've heard recommendations about "exercising" circuit breakers by turning them off and then back on at least once a year. This is meant to ensure that that breaker isn't locked in the "On" position by any oxidation that may in fact increase it's duty rating. I've also heard that switching a breaker on and off too many times can damage it, but it's hard to imagine that they aren't meant for at least occasional switching. Some electrician forums even recommend changing breakers out every 20 years. You can look this up on the Googles.

I turn my furnace off at least twice a year at the breaker and have not experienced any fuses blowing. I have had semiconductor fuses blow on the Watlow Din-A-Mite that could be tracked back to a loosened element lead.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:35 PM

Art Freas is on a distinguished road
I had to replace a breaker last year on my annealer. One of the symptoms was that even when it was working it was hotter than the other breaker running the same load.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM

David Russell is on a distinguished road
Never ignore the faint smell of burning plastic
Old 08-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Steve Stadelman is on a distinguished road
Follow up and feedback on this Tim?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:55 PM

Tim Bassett is on a distinguished road
All the fuses in the control panel were good. Located blown fuse at the transformer which is inside its own cabinet underneath the control panel. We lost one day of production waiting for the glass to come back up to working temp but at least now all my canes and stringers have been colour coded.