CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Michael Charles McCain is on a distinguished road
Merker lathe, Great! Quartz wheels?

I'm wishlisting.
Merker lathes have always been the definitive for glass carving, as I've come to know. Am I wrong?
Does anyone do a lot of this type of cold work and would be willing to lead me and the craftweb community towards a distributor of the wheels that carve a so-so vessel into a textured wonderland for the senses?
I wish I paid more attention when this particular craft was in my life. I learned enough to know cold workers are the unsung heroes of your favorite glass artist, and I want to pursue it fervently.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:12 PM
rEgisturd Spelunker

Greg Vriethoff is on a distinguished road
I have not done much lathe work myself. That being said, I have heard good things about Grind King wheels. I've met Mark as well, and he seems like a nice guy. I am in regular contact with someone that uses these wheels for cameo work as well as graal. I will seek input from this person.

Also, I have not used any of his products myself. Just throwing it out as an option.

Link to Grind King tools website
Old 11-23-2019, 10:08 PM

Michael Charles McCain is on a distinguished road
Thanks Greg

"we are the sole importer of DIAS Turnov sintered diamond wheels, which are made in the Czech Republic – there’s a reason you heard Czech wheels are the BEST. It’s because they are"

Damn right

Although I may have gleamed a moment in history when the American glass industry had unearthed some excellent quarrys out of the black swamp outside of lake Erie. Again, wish I'd paid more attention.

Last edited by Michael Charles McCain; 11-23-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:27 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles McCain View Post
I wish I paid more attention when this particular craft was in my life. I learned enough to know cold workers are the unsung heroes of your favorite glass artist, and I want to pursue it fervently.
Start paying attention to color mismatch then. Goggles and gloves.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:20 PM

David Patchen is on a distinguished road
Mark's an awesome guy and knows his coldworking--check out his work. We've collaborated on some work together. I'd trust his guidance on wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DWC8678.jpg (63.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg _DWC5021 (2).jpg (24.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 AM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles McCain View Post
I'm wishlisting.
Merker lathes have always been the definitive for glass carving, as I've come to know. Am I wrong?
They were quite well made, solidly built machines, but if you're looking to buy a refurbished one I'd recommend you first take a look at the grinding lathes that this guy named Jim in Canada has been making recently. He's a super precise machinist, so wheels spin true AF, and the best part is he has designed it to be adjustable height. I'm mostly leaving mine on the higher position so I'm not as hunched-over as when I used to use my older Denver one, but if you wanted to sit down while you grind or make whatever changes for better ergonomics, that is possible with just two wrench adjustments. They're expensive, but they should be based on the amount of precision work he does and the good motor/controller, and I think the price might be comparable to a refurbished Merker which only stays at one height. Also, I think Jim's has a longer arbor which provides more clearance for larger work. I'm sorry I don't know his last name, and he doesn't have a website as far as I know, but I can get you his email if you're interested.
Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement, but I just really have liked the quality of what he is making.

And yeah, go with Mark's (grind king) wheels. They're also expensive but they should last a long, long time being sintered and all.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:42 PM

John Riepma is on a distinguished road
Josh, I think that this is the one you may have been thinking of, maybe you can confirm:

https://www.hisglassworks.com/jim-ta...t-shaft-1.html

I remember seeing it at one of the conferences and I specifically remember the paint color. At the time I was impressed a lot by the quality and workmanship. I worked as a machinist and managed a machine shop for 40 years and this thing was built about as good as it could be in my opinion. Very smooth, variable speed, etc. I don't remember it being sold by HIS at the time.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:25 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
Hey John, yes but that's the smaller table-top one he makes. The larger one is sold by HIS also but I bought directly from Jim who is in Canada. But that smaller one is no doubt built very well also.