CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Color work from rods and batch glasses

Old 11-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Josh Bernbaum is on a distinguished road
hot popping ring tests?

Watched this DVD I bought online from Le Stanze del Vetro in Venice. They have quite a few books and videos for sale thru their online store. This video was called "l'uomo di notte" (the man at night), and was about Paolo Venini. It was a bit boring I'd admit but a lot of it was behind the scenes footage of the nighttime batching and melting operations into which they give you a glimpse and was the best part if you ask me. Towards the end, they even showed one of the maestros or assistants making long thin bubbles in the morning before the others got there. He was letting them cool on a wooden rack, then hot popping rings with a fresh bit that got wrapped around the cylinder, twice in two places about 1.5" apart to pop the ring. He then scores the ring with the same hot bit and he was looking at the flex it seemed, and/or whether there was a gap I presume. It was a VERY thin wall-thickness. They explained they do this every morning to try to make sure all the glasses fit one another. Not sure it's as much info as an annealed saw test can give you, but I'm not ready to argue with how they do things at Venini. And my goodness, the gorgeous colors they've made over the years..
Old 11-03-2019, 04:10 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
That's indeed how factories do it. Scott Benefield introduced me to it a long time back. When you see the gap, the gap is big, sometimes two inches. It's not easy to do, particularly alone. It is easier to get the differences in color/clear thickness more equal although I don't think unequal ones really get in the way. I still prefer the sawn ring but it takes a lot of time the factory doesn't have.
With the sawn ring, I can see how the additives to the glasses in question are tolerating each other and I can save them.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:43 PM

Kenny Pieper is on a distinguished road
I think this is the same test. he is just hot popping them instead of using a saw
Old 11-04-2019, 03:49 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
the principal is identical. Hot is just faster.