CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 11-25-2019, 09:52 AM

Drew Hine is on a distinguished road
Type of stainless steel for Punty rods

Hello my Punty rods are worn out and beat up from years of use. Instead of paying over $50 a rod I am going to buy stainless round bar and cut it up.
What is the best type of stainless steel for the high heat? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Drew Hine
Old 11-25-2019, 10:43 AM

Shawn Everette is on a distinguished road
316 is what spiral uses, never had a problem.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 AM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
In my humble opinion, whatever stainless the scrap yard has in the rod diameter you want and can use.
I've seen some tremendous glass made with punties that weren't even stainless. Most of the factories never had stainless until about 25 years , just before they all closed. Overthinking some of the equipment does not compensate for ability and talent. 304 stainless seems to be quite common in rod and can be found at scrap yards many times. Our local scrap yard gets lots of government surplus from the local government labs and has some tremendous deals from time to time. When the DOE gets a big grant they buy all kinds of materials and lots of it never get used so it ends up in the scrap yard when the project has ended
Old 11-25-2019, 12:13 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
when I was down at Southwest Glass in Arkansas, I remember being impressed with how easily the pipes and punties shed glass. It turned out that they were all simply colded rolled steel- no stainless at all. They had their own machine shop so they just punched out new ones as tools wore.

If you do want to buy bar, make sure it's actually straight and do keep in mind that solid ones will get pretty heavy. We did used to weld a six inch tip onto cold rolled and those worked well. I prefer a 3/4 inch dia rod with a stepped down tip for lighter work but that's personal taste. .
Old 11-25-2019, 02:34 PM

Nick Delmatto is on a distinguished road
304, 308, & 316 have all worked for me over the years. I stay away from stainless that attracts a magnet.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:32 PM

Bradley Howes is on a distinguished road
If you donít care about how theyíll react to heat, just get any stainless. If you want them to have any durability, get 300 series stainless. Itís designed to resist oxidation at high temp. 304, 308, and 316 all have their own working properties and you can find one thatíll best suit your needs.
Or, you could go the Muranese way and get iron punties. With these you can shuck the rod like they do in murano. Over a short time, this will pull material off the pipe head and itíll get smaller.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:57 AM

Sky Campbell is on a distinguished road
In my experience 316 pits less and holds up better over time. It has also been my experience when only ordering a few sticks they will be bent unless you specify they need to be protected or secured to a piece of dunnage. It will most likely be 20í sticks. Stop collars from the usual suspects at McMaster and heater hose for grips.

That said step down punties are worth the effort. Your wrists will thank you.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Spiral Arts uses 309 or 310, I can't remember which for the heads of their pipes etc. 304 and 316 are usually the common ones that are easy to get. Sky is right about 316.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:03 PM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
Frederick Carder's group at Steuben never had any stainless but they certainly made some nice glass.
Good skills and designs can triumph over a lot of what we conceive as obstacles and needs for expensive tools.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:01 PM
?

Jordan Kube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fuhrman View Post
Frederick Carder's group at Steuben never had any stainless but they certainly made some nice glass.
Good skills and designs can triumph over a lot of what we conceive as obstacles and needs for expensive tools.
Absolutely. Davide Fuin uses non stainless punties on Murano. They have the advantage of being able to be shucked hot. Assistant serves a bit, shucks off the moil and goes back in with the same hot punty. They wear down faster but Roberto Dona is around the corner to put new heads on whenever he needs them. A lot of factories had in house capabilities for a lot of things. Most people these days don't have the skills or equipment to fix their pipes. Expensive stainless lasts longer.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:57 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
The advantage of stainless is is you reuse your cullet and don't want the iron that comes off of non stainless pipes in such volume. Otherwise, straight steel allows the blower to use way less pipes and punties as Jordan points out.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Yep,i you can reuse your cullet
Old 11-28-2019, 08:48 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
You make a little tank of water, that the pipes stand in, with hoses, that you attach that pushes a little compressed air,through them, so the pipes bubble