CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk  

Go Back   CraftWEB Hot Glass Talk > Hot Glass > General Hot Glass Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 09:07 AM

Tom Fuhrman is on a distinguished road
"Every cullet maker has gone out of Business" the same can be said for just about every major hand made glass company in the U.S., not to mention even a lot of machine made glass companies or have considerably downsized.

The low price of the Euro may have some effect on the price as well. Euro last I checked was about $1.12.
I also expect the cost of transportation to increase in the near future as well.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:55 AM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
What Tom says is true. Plastics rule right now but are getting terrible press and deservedly so.

If someone started a cullet biz in this country, it would immediately eliminate .12 per lb shipping from Frankfurt and adding the occasional customs inspection at the port of entry for $400 . It would eliminate the dreyage trucking from the port to the warehouse where ever it was and would potentially eliminate CSX hauling it around by rail. That would add up but even then, I don't see a price below $1.75 as viable.

Glass as art form is on pretty shakey ground these days . I talk to a lot of old compatriots and they all say the same thing, it's really thin and hard to do well. Bongs seem to sell well.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
I walked through Hempfest yesterday to see what the latest trends are. Bongs still move well, of course, though anything to do with dabbing concentrates is rapidly gaining. CBD is very hot, but I have my doubts about its longevity (DMSO anyone? Bueller?). The vaporizer hawkers were mostly laying low, probably due to all the recent bad news.

Prices seemed stable, but lots more deals being offered on quantity purchases. Silicone pipes of all kinds gaining in popularity. Some past major sponsors (banks, telecoms, etc.) sat out this year. Legality may have reduced attendance, but it sure looked packed to me. More vendors with multiple, identical, booths spread out along the length of the venue (to fill in for the missing?).

One pipe seller did have a group-show display of lampworked sculpture that was very impressive, with five-digit prices to match.

Only real rip-off, as always, was the cost of food. You know you're getting old when you still equate "food truck" with "cheap eats."
Old 08-18-2019, 09:43 PM

Matt Bezark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Samuel View Post
Only real rip-off, as always, was the cost of food. You know you're getting old when you still equate "food truck" with "cheap eats."
that's hilarious. "roach coach" no longer...
Old 08-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig is on a distinguished road
Sorry what is CBD- DMSO? Europeans wondering
Old 08-19-2019, 06:10 PM

Rich Samuel is on a distinguished road
CBD is enjoying a wave of popularity here. It's a derivative of hemp and marijuana that's touted as a pain reliever, but without the drug "high." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol

DMSO had a similar heyday years ago. It came and went pretty quickly. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-s...es-and-risks#1

Americans love the quick fix, whether it works or not.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 PM
The Old Gaffer

Pete VanderLaan is on a distinguished road
.... but without the drug.... there's the problem right there.